BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #45
Sherifftruman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I ditched the Pirelli run-flats on my MINI when they were all done after 19,000 miles. I am running on KDW2s now with a slime kit in the back. I have thought about buying a mini spare like lots of other MINI owners just to take on longer trips but have not. For now, I just make sure I inspect the tires for nails and screws a few days prior and right before a trip. OF course, I keep air pressure checked as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 02:35 PM   #46
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Easy. First carry a good quality 12V air compressor like a MaxxPress 1000 (or MaxxPress 2000).

Because often, if you've picked up a nail, you can simply refill the tire and drive to a tire store before it goes flat.

Also, carry a tire plug kit. Its really not hard to do yourself. If that marginally literate, infrequently sober high school drop out who works at the gas station can plug a tire, guess what, you can too.

Related to the plug kit, you will ALWAYS need to also carry a sharp nosed plier to pull a nail out of a tire.

You should probably also carry a can of fix-a-flat, or green slime...but only use it as a last ditch measure (or in a tight spot, see kamakazitps post above) because it just makes a mess inside the tire and if its not cleaned up properly by a lazy mechanic, your tire will run out of balance. You're still still in a pickle if you have a blowout, then you will need a Cellular phone...but runflats are subject to blowouts too so obviously, BMW should have bothered to include a spare tire with your higher than average priced car.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #47
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Easy. First carry a good quality 12V air compressor like a MaxxPress 1000.

Because often, if you've picked up a nail, you can simply refill the tire and drive to a tire store before it goes flat.

Also, carry a tire plug kit. Its really not hard to do yourself. If that marginally literate, infrequently sober high school drop out who works at the gas station can plug a tire, guess what, you can too.

Related to the plug kit, you will ALWAYS need to also carry a sharp nosed plier to pull a nail out of a tire.

You should probably also carry a can of fix-a-flat, or green slime...but only use it as a last ditch measure.
Man speak truth!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #48
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Easy. First carry a good quality 12V air compressor like a MaxxPress 1000 (or MaxxPress 2000).

You should probably also carry a can of fix-a-flat, or green slime...but only use it as a last ditch measure (or in a tight spot, see kamakazitps post above) because it just makes a mess inside the tire and if its not cleaned up properly by a lazy mechanic, your tire will run out of balance. You're still still in a pickle if you have a blowout, then you will need a Cellular phone...but runflats are subject to blowouts too so obviously, BMW should have bothered to include a spare tire with your higher than average priced car.
Yup. The Gospel of the Go-Flat Tires here. Exactly what I do.

Got a flat once in BFE. Put on donut, knowing it had air, since I check it periodically. It picked up a nail too:mad:. Said fu<k it, put the original back on, pressurized it to about 50psi, and pulled off the road every 10 minutes to pressurize again with my portable air compressor. Did this five times and doing so got me out of BFE and to a tire shop.

Lesson learned: both of our cars now have a small portable air compressor, cheapo do-it-yourself plug kit (to slow a leak until I get to a tire place), and pliers. Small, cheap and using the "fill it up as needed" technique, will get you to where you need to be. A true blow-out is a totally different story!

-AJ
Appreciate 0