BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #67
-cj-
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M | 2009 Red M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 374
iTrader: (2)

Update: There's still *something* rattling on my car when I rev at low RPMs, but 95% of my rattle was solved with the replacement of the defective Akra flapper unit. Going to figure out where the other rattling is coming from, sounds like it's coming from the passenger side...
-cj- is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #68
1mmaniac
Private First Class
 
Drives: 1m
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: in the sky

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Update: There's still *something* rattling on my car when I rev at low RPMs, but 95% of my rattle was solved with the replacement of the defective Akra flapper unit. Going to figure out where the other rattling is coming from, sounds like it's coming from the passenger side...
Ok, good to know it's almost solved.

I checked mine and it has very little play, a lot less than your old valve.
1mmaniac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #69
-cj-
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M | 2009 Red M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 374
iTrader: (2)

Ok, I solved my rattle issue. For real this time.

90% of my rattle was coming from excessive play in the valve, as I mentioned in an earlier post.

The other 10% was due to a broken exhaust bracket. See pics below.


-cj- is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #70
1mmaniac
Private First Class
 
Drives: 1m
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: in the sky

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Ok, I solved my rattle issue. For real this time.

90% of my rattle was coming from excessive play in the valve, as I mentioned in an earlier post.

The other 10% was due to a broken exhaust bracket. See pics below.
Wow .... I'm happy for you that you finally found it. Never would have guessed it to be a support. How did you actually find it? Did you check the whole exhaust system inch by inch?

That is the support for the mid-section, isn't it? It's a shame that failed. If I remember correctly you have the full Akra system installed, didn't you? If i were you I would definitely contact Akra directly and let them know they let you down, both with the support as with the valve; I know I would appreciate a mail like that if it was my product that was sold. Although a small mistake like that can happen, I expect a high quality product buying from them.

Nevertheless it's a simple repair judging by the pictures, just have it (re-) welded at a local millwright shop.
1mmaniac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #71
-cj-
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M | 2009 Red M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 374
iTrader: (2)

Thanks 1mmaniac.

I guess I left out a big part of the process. I have the full Akrapovic exhaust system. When I found out that my valve was causing some rattling, I contacted Akrapovic with the intention of a work around. Not only did they respond in a very timely and helpful manner, but they offered to replace the valve free of charge. The only catch was I needed to ship the old one back. (I imagine they want to examine the defect).

While swapping out the vacuum line, I reached over under the car and shifted the exhaust around. I could hear some faint metal on metal sounds until I zeroed in on the bracket. At that point it was obvious. I simply removed the bracket but left the part that joins the two pipes together behind.

I reached out to Akrapovic and they shipped out a new bracket the following day..

I was so focused on the rattle that I didn't really talk about how awesome Akrapovic is to deal with and how well they stand behind their products. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their products again.
-cj- is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #72
arvinz
First Lieutenant
 
arvinz's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 1M VO
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 374
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
Guys, I'm interested in investing in the full system but I was wondering if any of you know if there's a way to prevent the yellowing of the titanium? Can the whole exhaust system have opti-coat or cquartz applied to it or have some sort of protected coating applied to it to avoid the yellowing?

And if it does yellow, is there a way to clean that off or is it permanent?
arvinz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #73
Artemis
Brigadier General
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,249
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Guys, I'm interested in investing in the full system but I was wondering if any of you know if there's a way to prevent the yellowing of the titanium? Can the whole exhaust system have opti-coat or cquartz applied to it or have some sort of protected coating applied to it to avoid the yellowing?
And if it does yellow, is there a way to clean that off or is it permanent?
Exhaust tips: as you got the choice between Carbon Fibre and Titanium tips, get the CF because the Titanium tips start 'bronzing' fairly quickly and irreversibly due to exhaust fumes heat (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903660).
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Artemis is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #74
1mmaniac
Private First Class
 
Drives: 1m
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: in the sky

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Thanks 1mmaniac.

I guess I left out a big part of the process. I have the full Akrapovic exhaust system. When I found out that my valve was causing some rattling, I contacted Akrapovic with the intention of a work around. Not only did they respond in a very timely and helpful manner, but they offered to replace the valve free of charge. The only catch was I needed to ship the old one back. (I imagine they want to examine the defect).

While swapping out the vacuum line, I reached over under the car and shifted the exhaust around. I could hear some faint metal on metal sounds until I zeroed in on the bracket. At that point it was obvious. I simply removed the bracket but left the part that joins the two pipes together behind.

I reached out to Akrapovic and they shipped out a new bracket the following day..

I was so focused on the rattle that I didn't really talk about how awesome Akrapovic is to deal with and how well they stand behind their products. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their products again.
That's really good to hear. To be honest I expected something like that might had happened as they were pretty supportive to me/my dealer when my tips were not on stock. Glad to hear they offered great service. I wasn't familiar with Akra before I bought my bimmer but reading on line about the quality and hearing a few good service stories finally pushed over to buy an Akra. I only have a slip-on and i think that's already expensive but it's well worth it in my opinion.

You have some sweet rattle-free miles ahead buddy It'll feel like driving a new car now you're no longer irritated


Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinz View Post
Guys, I'm interested in investing in the full system but I was wondering if any of you know if there's a way to prevent the yellowing of the titanium? Can the whole exhaust system have opti-coat or cquartz applied to it or have some sort of protected coating applied to it to avoid the yellowing?

And if it does yellow, is there a way to clean that off or is it permanent?
Do you mean the discoloration like shown in this pic?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757720

Simply put, this discoloration is caused by heat. I don't know the exact numbers but google shouted out that Ti oxidizes from 500 degF and up. The colors change in ratio with the temperature and/or exposure time of the material. The discoloration shown in the picture linked above is way, way worse then on my own (slip-on only!). I only have a straw/brownish colored glaze on the mid section of the muffler and a bit on the tips. These are first colors appearing in this process.
I assume the system linked above has seen some long hard runs, maybe track or dyno judging by the colors seen, the amount of material that has changed color and the 2k miles.

I should be removable by removing the top layer of material, so polishing or brushing should do the trick for the lighter colors. Pink, Grey or white will probably stay on permanently but i have no experience with any of this on titanium myself.
I don't know if there are clear coats available for this application, I doubt it.
1mmaniac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #75
1mmaniac
Private First Class
 
Drives: 1m
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: in the sky

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)

ps. is the system still available? I though Akra stopped producing it for the 1m.
1mmaniac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #76
Artemis
Brigadier General
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,249
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mmaniac View Post
ps. is the system still available? I though Akra stopped producing it for the 1m.
The information several months ago was that production was discontinued (quite logically, given the limited production run of the 1M). But there are still in stock, I guess.
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Artemis is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      05-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #77
mweine
Work Hard! Play Harder!!
 
mweine's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 1M
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posts: 67
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to mweine Send a message via Yahoo to mweine Send a message via Skype™ to mweine
It would be nice to get a Group buy organized for the Akro 1M exhaust.
mweine is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #78
MDORPHN
Colonel
 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

Posts: 2,493
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweine View Post
It would be nice to get a Group buy organized for the Akro 1M exhaust.
They're no longer being manu'd, although there may be some old stock at some vendors.

Neil
MDORPHN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #79
mweine
Work Hard! Play Harder!!
 
mweine's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 1M
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posts: 67
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to mweine Send a message via Yahoo to mweine Send a message via Skype™ to mweine
I still see them available at many vendors, however the prices are rediculous. Largest discount was 10% at Vivid Racing
mweine is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #80
ilikebmxbikes
Colonel
 
ilikebmxbikes's Avatar
 
Drives: S65 1M Clone & 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,793
iTrader: (33)

Just ordered one today. The manufacturing of the exhausts are discontinued however akra has a stock of them.
__________________
ilikebmxbikes is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #81
Pig Farmer
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 668
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mmaniac View Post
That's really good to hear. To be honest I expected something like that might had happened as they were pretty supportive to me/my dealer when my tips were not on stock. Glad to hear they offered great service. I wasn't familiar with Akra before I bought my bimmer but reading on line about the quality and hearing a few good service stories finally pushed over to buy an Akra. I only have a slip-on and i think that's already expensive but it's well worth it in my opinion.

You have some sweet rattle-free miles ahead buddy It'll feel like driving a new car now you're no longer irritated




Do you mean the discoloration like shown in this pic?
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757720

Simply put, this discoloration is caused by heat. I don't know the exact numbers but google shouted out that Ti oxidizes from 500 degF and up. The colors change in ratio with the temperature and/or exposure time of the material. The discoloration shown in the picture linked above is way, way worse then on my own (slip-on only!). I only have a straw/brownish colored glaze on the mid section of the muffler and a bit on the tips. These are first colors appearing in this process.
I assume the system linked above has seen some long hard runs, maybe track or dyno judging by the colors seen, the amount of material that has changed color and the 2k miles.

I should be removable by removing the top layer of material, so polishing or brushing should do the trick for the lighter colors. Pink, Grey or white will probably stay on permanently but i have no experience with any of this on titanium myself.
I don't know if there are clear coats available for this application, I doubt it.

You're absolutely correct that the discoloration is oxidation caused by heat. I have an Akrapovic EVO full titanium exhaust on my Yamaha R1. Almost immediately the headers turned bronze. The bronze turned to light blue, then deep purple/blue/green. The color eventually moved its way all the way to the carbon fiber cans. However, given enough time and heat, the headers turned to a dull gray. I've tried everything to polish off the oxidation and have found nothing seems to work. If you rather have blue tips instead of bronze, I'm sure you could hit them with a propane torch and get the effect. Problem is...if you don't like it, it's not reversible.
Pig Farmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #82
ilikebmxbikes
Colonel
 
ilikebmxbikes's Avatar
 
Drives: S65 1M Clone & 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,793
iTrader: (33)

My friends have the akra exhaust on their m3's. I love the bronze color it turns. Looks awesome.
__________________
ilikebmxbikes is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #83
Pig Farmer
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 668
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
My friends have the akra exhaust on their m3's. I love the bronze color it turns. Looks awesome.
It does. And on the M3, it sounds 100 times better than it looks.
Pig Farmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #84
1mmaniac
Private First Class
 
Drives: 1m
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: in the sky

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
My friends have the akra exhaust on their m3's. I love the bronze color it turns. Looks awesome.
I love the Akra for it's subtle looks. The only downside is that on 1m on the mid section of the muffler will change color..... and it's in plain sight when driving behind it.... I would have prefered a matt black finish just so it wouldn't stand out (I hate seeing it on any car for that matter.... it looks cheap to me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
It does. And on the M3, it sounds 100 times better than it looks.
I've only heard a 1m, 2011 m3 and 2013 sls amg irl with an Akra.... it rocks on an all of them this was my first aftermarket exhaust and I was shocked by the cost at first. But after doing some research on other brands and eventually having it installed it was totally worth it. If i every buy another performance car ever again I'll be looking for an Akra first.
1mmaniac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #85
ilikebmxbikes
Colonel
 
ilikebmxbikes's Avatar
 
Drives: S65 1M Clone & 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,793
iTrader: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mmaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
My friends have the akra exhaust on their m3's. I love the bronze color it turns. Looks awesome.
I love the Akra for it's subtle looks. The only downside is that on 1m on the mid section of the muffler will change color..... and it's in plain sight when driving behind it.... I would have prefered a matt black finish just so it wouldn't stand out (I hate seeing it on any car for that matter.... it looks cheap to me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
It does. And on the M3, it sounds 100 times better than it looks.
I've only heard a 1m, 2011 m3 and 2013 sls amg irl with an Akra.... it rocks on an all of them this was my first aftermarket exhaust and I was shocked by the cost at first. But after doing some research on other brands and eventually having it installed it was totally worth it. If i every buy another performance car ever again I'll be looking for an Akra first.
You could always paint them or run non titanium exhaust
__________________
ilikebmxbikes is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #86
1mmaniac
Private First Class
 
Drives: 1m
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: in the sky

Posts: 101
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mmaniac View Post
Mine is still running 'strange'. Besides the sound i also notice a change and the throttle position vs rpm (or torque) this is noticable on downshifts since my rev matching is off. The car is also 'jerking' more in the very low rpm (around 1200 rpm, noticed it driving in traffic jams). To me it feels like the engine is running leaner.

BTW, mine i running and sounding like before again To be honest I don't know exactly what the root cause is because a couple of things changed and the 'return' was not as sudden:
- the weather has been quite a bit warmer the last couple of weeks
- I've done a few long runs where I changed the load significantly, long WOT pulls from 1000 to high rpms and longer runs driving higher rpm's
- did the 'reset' throttle response, I honestly didn't feel any change
- I'm driving a lot more with the valve closed (white/silent mode). This is relative since I ALWAYS drove with the valve open, I think it's 50/50 now.
1mmaniac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST