BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #23
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX78666 View Post
Nice. I'm lucky to have been able to keep it. My wife drives it most days, now that I have the 135.
Lucky indeed. One of the best models to come from Munich.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 11:37 PM   #24
Lay-Z M3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: ASPP 135i Cab, E90 M3, M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2178 View Post
I've had a couple issues with my 08 128i, taillight went out, amp malfuctioned causing my radio to cut out, seatbelt tensioner recall. Other then that I've had a pretty good run for three years and 40,000 miles. Mechanically it seems like it will be good easily to 100,000 miles and I still love driving it - just get the 6 speed, sport package, ditch the run flats and put the E93 M3 front swaybar on it - it's a blast to drive.
I hear you, taillights and headlamps arent uncommon and neither are those radio issues!!

I dont wait for the freebie 24k service (15k miles) I do an interim 12 -12,5k kms service I pay for at the dealer to keep a log on BMW's file - just incase of future issues (this tact based on a 997 warranty failure I heard of!).

Im not sure what is too much more efficient out there than my Mini, its CO2/NOX outout is increadibly low, and it really does sip fuel (often 700 - 950kms per 50ish litre tank), id love a 335d but hate Auto and the Urea issues are a huge turn off (on all new diesels it would seem - MB Bluetec some of the worst!).

If I had the ability to somehow protect that motor in the Mini I would just keep the bloody thing - its just such a niggle when everyone who works on them says get it gone before it goes wrong!!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #25
Lay-Z M3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Just got this off another MINI forum - kinda backs up my concerns!

Did I get a lemon or is Mini quality this bad?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

My husband bought his first Mini nearly ten years ago and loved it so much he convinced me to get rid of BMW Z4 and buy a 2010 Mini Clubman. I have never regretted buying a car so much in my life. With less than 20,000 miles on it, I have had my Mini die on the freeway 4 times and towed to the dealership twice. Both times it was towed to the dealership were for "fuel issues" which eventually were found to be a bad HP Fuel Pump.

The other two times it "ran out of gas" with nearly 80 miles left to empty on the gauge. The running out of gas continues to be an issue and I've just resigned myself to refilling with 100 miles to empty. Oh did I mention the check engine light has come on two times and both times I took it in they couldn't diagnose the problem for days and eventually said they were other "fuel issues".

I live in SoCal and having your car die in the fast lane is absolutely frightening and is a safety issue. I also work at a refinery and I know about gasoline and the requirements for producing it. All these fuels issues are BS... I think we got a lemon!

You'd think my family would take warning from my problems, but nope. My poor mother went out and purchased a Countryman. She just called to tell me her car just died for the second time on the freeway and is being towed to the dealership. She has already replaced a pump and is also having "fuel problems" with check engine lights coming on.

I love how cute my Mini is, but I can't keep getting stuck on the freeway. Never again for Mini, and now I question buying another BMW. Please take my families warning and buy something else.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #26
Lay-Z M3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Decided on a Sparkling Graphite '08 128i Sport - if i can get rid of the Mini
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #27
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay-Z M3 View Post
Excellent choice!

High reliability potential be damned.
Say hello to burning fuel and time just so you can drive your automobile.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #28
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
I hear you on the 'alarmist' front - its just I worked for BMW for almost 8 years and I know what can go wrong. On the whole N51/N52 and N54/N55 units are great, I just had visions of paying all the money for the car and then aged wastgates/actuators/turbos/De-coking needs etc I just wanted the least 'potential' headaches!
Are you saying that we should consider the extended warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaf89f View Post
My 128i has had close to 8K of engine repairs in the last year from the cylinder head to the computer that controls the valve timing, granted they were all under warranty, but it still makes me weary of keeping even the n52 out of warranty. Overall though, the n52 will "probably" be more maintenance free.
How many miles? Sounds unusual.

Quote:
Holy shit Jaf $8k - hope she runs well now!!

Sorry Broken but your earlier reference of WOT - forgive the ignorance but what is that please?
Wide open throttle.

Quote:
Excellent colour choice.
Appreciate 0