E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > More Reliability report to piss off you BMW/Euro fanboys.

02-24-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
More Reliability report to piss off you BMW/Euro fanboys.

Thanks to V6pmemba @ v6performance.net for awesome info.

*Keep in mind, this is slightly outdated. Its regarding 04/05 stuff. feel better?

[img]

My favorite: "Europe: Mostly bad news"

-Lux
Euro Fanboy Killer.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Thank you for posting this. I'm going to rush out and buy a Mustang now.

NOT!!!
      02-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC
Thank you for posting this. I'm going to rush out and buy a Mustang now.

NOT!!!
A$$hole!!!!!!!!!!

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 12:20 AM   #4
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
A$$hole!!!!!!!!!!

02-25-2006, 12:32 AM   #5
DavE90
Bimmer Fan & S FL Realtor
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Wow!! That's it!! I'm selling my 330i and buy myself a Hyundai Sonata.

I DON'T THINK SO!!

Miami Homes

E90 330i Jet Black, Terra Leather, Comfort Access, Premium and Sport Packages
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 12:43 AM   #6
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavE90
Wow!! That's it!! I'm selling my 330i and buy myself a Hyundai Sonata.

I DON'T THINK SO!!
A$$HOLE NO.2!!!

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 12:44 AM   #7
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

Im a firm believer that your car treats you the way you treat it. Of course you can drive a honda civic for 100,00 miles and only change the oil and timing belt, and a BMW you have to make sure to keep up the maintainence, but BMWs are made for persons who are willing to pay more for keepup on a car as well as pay for the "extra" services. A BMW will last as long and have as few amount of problems as any japanese car if it is kept up correct. i mean who buys a $35,000+ car and not make sure to keep it up. It just a must.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 12:57 AM   #8
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

It really seems to me like you do not really like BMW at all...

You should go buy a Mustang... Im sure you would love it!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 01:05 AM   #9
Imperial
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Sweet, I think I'm gonna go get a Sonata, too. Or maybe one of those XG350's. High class beeetches

but really, who the hell cares? I like my car for what it is and how it drives, not for how many projected problems I may or may not have over x period of time.
      02-25-2006, 01:06 AM   #10
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399
It really seems to me like you do not really like BMW at all...

You should go buy a Mustang... Im sure you would love it!
Yeah, thats why I live here, and whenever some snobs talk crap about E90s, I try to find out their address so I can shoot 'em.

Really, others who know me well enough in this board knows im the biggest E90 fanboy in this forum.

btw, you all are a$$holes. stop picking on honda civics and hyundai sonatas. They'll smoke you.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 01:11 AM   #11
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

Who cares about reliability......well.....maybe some of you guys do.....but not me......

All my cars don't really last long......maybe after 2 yr. of this.....then some kool car comes out so i buy that one........and after a yr. the E90 came out...so i changed to that too.....haha......i don't find any problems.....

I rather buy a GOOD car and have it checked every once a week......then a HYUNDAI SONATA and drive it for a few years problem free.........i don't think i can even last a minuite inside a hyundai.....

I'm a true BMW fan.....thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 01:18 AM   #12
younghov85
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 black 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChineseGuy
Who cares about reliability......well.....maybe some of you guys do.....but not me......

All my cars don't really last long......maybe after 2 yr. of this.....then some kool car comes out so i buy that one........and after a yr. the E90 came out...so i changed to that too.....haha......i don't find any problems.....

I rather buy a GOOD car and have it checked every once a week......then a HYUNDAI SONATA and drive it for a few years problem free.........i don't think i can even last a minuite inside a hyundai.....

I'm a true BMW fan.....thank you
I can understand where you are coming from. You all must remember that BMWs are build to perform and alot of those jap. cars are for regular driving. i bet a porsche's reliability rating would be worse than a hyuandi but who would rather buy a tiburon over a 911.............no one.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 01:21 AM   #13
docbolo
BMW worshiper
Rep
Drives: M3/alpine/manual/prem/19"

Nice post lux, good discussion.

IMHO, this is a good example of how statistics can be used to skew the truth. By defining all defects as the same, someones broken reclining seat might be counted the same as a broken transmission. Which is more important? Also, maybe BMW owners are more picky and will report a broken ashtray whereas in a Ford it is par for the course.

The japanese reliability is legitimate, but I think the others are unfair to compare with MB, audi, or BMW.

Is it really surprising that the Mustang or Hyundai is reliable? IMO, These cars have such old technology that of course they are more reliable. Ever sit in one of these cars or drive one? Frankly they feel as if they havent evolved past 1990 technology.

By this logic, hyundai should team up with NASA to build the next space shuttle.

I could be wrong this is just my opinion folks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 03:07 AM   #14
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbolo
Also, maybe BMW owners are more picky and will report a broken ashtray whereas in a Ford it is par for the course.
That, is a VERY good point. I always questioned that myself when it comes down to reliability ratings.

Conclusion is, this is bullsh1t.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 03:39 AM   #15
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

OK, so Hyundai, Toyota (and Subaru) are quite reliable.

Generallly spoken, people who buy such brands don't care about cars, don't drive them hard.

IF I drive a Hyundai the way I drive my BMW, I would change it every year for a new one(just like I do with my BMW) because I tend to drive it hard and it won't stand a chance
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 04:03 AM   #16
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
That is an incomplete test. Read the line that states “Only Audi came out better than average, with a problem rate of 12 per 100 for the two Audi models in our survey.” Had they tested the whole Audi line I bet the numbers would be different.

I care more about the reliability of individual models more than the reliability of a whole company based on testing a few models.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 04:39 AM   #17
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aficionado
That is an incomplete test. Read the line that states “Only Audi came out better than average, with a problem rate of 12 per 100 for the two Audi models in our survey.” Had they tested the whole Audi line I bet the numbers would be different.

I care more about the reliability of individual models more than the reliability of a whole company based on testing a few models.
check up there. there are charts for that.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 07:36 AM   #18
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Most of the problems with German vehicles stem from electronics and the more electronic controls and switchgear they add, the more the Germans seem to suffer from initial and first year quality surveys. The U S and asian manufacturers are a bit more conservative in their approach to incorporating complex electronics and therefore fare better, overall.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #19
mikepinkerton
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Wooohooo! My Celica is right at the top!! Of course, this is no mystery, not one problem in 6 years.

-Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 12:25 PM   #20
thunderbirdsarego
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Didn't necessarily look like bad news for us - the 3-series and old xDrive got better than average ratings.

I would also re-emphasise what other posters have said about electronics and the complexity of our vehicles compared to Hundai's. Not all problems are created equal and neither are all owners. It is no surprise that a car with twice the software line count of another and an additional 3 or 4 electromechanical systems will show up as having more problems.

The controls in these types of surveys are poor (understatement). A good survey could ask specific questions such as "how many times was your car unable to start" etc. The fact that my right hand side mirror retracted once (for no apparent reason) while parked - yes, it's a problem that I could report but what does this really say about the reliability of my E90 versus the Hundai parked next to it?

I'm not saying there are not significant differences and that statistics cannot be helpful. It's just that you really have to read between the lines and understand the questions that were asked before jumping to conclusions.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 01:29 PM   #21
WooBah
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Soon to be BMW?

Great post. Check out the thread I Started: What's the deal with the E90? How come there are no complaint threads?

I have been to various Acura TL Forums, and there are a ton of complaints about rattles, yet on this forum, I find very little complaining, if at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2006, 02:13 PM   #22
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WooBah
Great post. Check out the thread I Started: What's the deal with the E90? How come there are no complaint threads?

I have been to various Acura TL Forums, and there are a ton of complaints about rattles, yet on this forum, I find very little complaining, if at all.
We have our fare share of complaints and problems. But you get that anywhere. Mostly they are isolated incidents.

I find all forums (this one included) have a disproportionally large number of posts related to problems. I think the reason this occurs is people with problems will go to forums to ask questions and advice from other knowledgeable owners. People rarely log in to write about the lack of problems with their car. I do not believe that just because there are many problems posted on any forum means the car is unreliable. That is unless you get pages of the same problem from many different owners, then there may be an issue with the car.
Appreciate 0