BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

Need Help Removing Fender Liner

Looking to remove the fender liner of the front driver side...any one have tips? I see a couple 9 or 10mm screws on the edge, but there are also the plastic plug things that I have no idea how to remove.

Anyone that has done it before...I dont need pics, but would like to know how much hardware needs to be removed to peel the section back directly in front of the tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep

nobody has done this? mostly curious how to remove those plastic plug things.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

When ever I am contemtplating a repair or DYI, I tend to look at the parts films. Have you looked at Realoem?

Try this link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=41&fg=10

going on the parts diagram... it looks to me like there are:
8 x 8mm bolt screws
4 x screws
6 x expanding rivets

Hope this helps you out. I don't think many people have R&R'd this inner fender pannel before. May I ask why are you doing so? Did you go plowing off road?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
When ever I am contemtplating a repair or DYI, I tend to look at the parts films. Have you looked at Realoem?

Try this link:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=41&fg=10

going on the parts diagram... it looks to me like there are:
8 x 8mm bolt screws
4 x screws
6 x expanding rivets

Hope this helps you out. I don't think many people have R&R'd this inner fender pannel before. May I ask why are you doing so? Did you go plowing off road?
going to tackle a custom real CAI...but gotta see how much room is behind that bumper.

Thanks for the link, thats a great idea, never thought to look at the diagram and I even have the BMW TIS installed on my PC

Any idea how to remove those expanding rivets?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Any idea how to remove those expanding rivets?

Well... hopefully we are talking about the #12 ones and not #13! lol Either way I would use some flat nibbler tool - used for cutting something flush. They are like small (electrical) side cutters(or dykes as some people call them) here is a link to the big German cousins of what I am refering too!

http://www.autoschrauber.de/content/...zzange_nah.jpg

I have a set of multi cutters & mini needle nose pliers. I think you could use something like them.

IF its the flush kind of revits, you will need to use a pin tool or small nail to push fro behind the revit - to extend the center shaft - so you can get your needle nose pliers onto the shaft. You don't have to pull the shaft out all the way, just a bit so the fastener can come out.

You might just order some of these revits so you are familar with working with them. They don't cost vert much. And most dealers SHOULD have them on hand. Should.

take care,
David
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep

hmmm...I thought I saw some of those 13s on fender liner near the brake duct hole (#14)...but maybe they aren't needed for removal and are just holding something to the back of the liner.

I only really need to remove part #6...or just even peel it back.

Skipping the project for now

Last edited by cadeucsb; 07-30-2017 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Yea... I think only #6, (that lower front fendar linner) will need to be moved so you can see whats what.

Maybe after your done you will start to see why Bmw techs are getting the high hours they bill for doing a BmW Perf kit! lol I think that same fender linner must come out to cut a hole for the "extra mini radiator" that the kit comes with. I mean can it really take a tech four days to mount a radiator and cooling fan and relocate the horns? Ok ok! The kit is also software update and new spark plugs, but still!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
ramair311
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

I removed both fender liners recently when installing my hidden meth system. It wasn't too difficult, but I definitley had to have the car raised since my front end is about 2 inches lower now on sport springs. Since we're practically neighbors as i recall, I'd be glad to show you how to pop those expanding plastic rivets on and off.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
pepper135I
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramair311 View Post
I removed both fender liners recently when installing my hidden meth system. It wasn't too difficult, but I definitley had to have the car raised since my front end is about 2 inches lower now on sport springs. Since we're practically neighbors as i recall, I'd be glad to show you how to pop those expanding plastic rivets on and off.
still on the forums ? Mine wouldn't come out either.. end up cutting them, was wondering if who know what part to replace with ? The diagram above doesn't show the rear plastic screws .
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 10:28 PM   #10
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeucsb View Post
nobody has done this? mostly curious how to remove those plastic plug things.
Use some trim removal tools to get under them and pop them out. If you don't have the proper tools, you could probably use the flat edge of a screwdriver or something, or even just tug on the adjacent part of the fender liner hard enough - the rivets will pop right out.