BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M-Sport

cool carbon bedding

I am finishing up the install of new rotors and the Cool Carbon pads this weekend and was wondering about the bedding in procedures on their website. Does the accelerated bedding just save time or will the pads perform better as well. Mine are just for street.

Regular Bedding Street/track

Drive normally over the course of several hundred miles while gradually increasing pedal effort with each subsequent stop until pedal feel is firm and predictable and brakes feel fully seated. If brake pads are forced to become hot due to emergency braking, it is best to drive to cool the brakes down prior to coming to a complete stop assuming that circumstances permit.

Accelerated Bedding revised 01.08.10

Street/Track (S/T) Performance Pads

Part 1 (NOTE: DO NOT ALLOW ABS ACTIVATION)

a) Perform a series of 10 to 15 partial stops from 65 mph to 10 mph (preferred) with the first 3 under moderate braking, increasing to 75% to 90% of full braking during the series of stops. (Please ensure compliance with all applicable laws and ordinances.)
b) Performance should increase somewhat during this process and fall off toward the end of this cycle.
c) Do not come to a complete stop during this cycle, if at all possible, as this may interrupt the material transfer process to the rotor surface; Note: material transfer process will take longer with new rotors.
d) If friction smell becomes excessive during this first series of stops, become less aggressive with braking and complete the test sequence. Excessive braking at this stage can cause the resins to be released from the friction material leading to Green fade and coating of the rotor surfaces with excessive amounts of resin, which is undesirable, rather than a proper mix of friction material.
e) Allow the brakes to cool by driving at higher allowable speeds and with little if any braking, if possible.

Part 2
a) Repeat the above sequence, including the cooling section
b) Generally 2 complete sequences is often sufficient
c) A 3rd sequence may be performed if deemed necessary.
d) Allow brakes to cool, as per above, before coming to a complete stop or parking the vehicle

Notes: Pads driven primarily on street will require periodic more aggressive braking, to replenish/maintain the transfer layer of material on the rotor surface. Note: DO NOT ALLOW ABS ACTIVATION during the bedding procedure as this may result in a non-uniform transfer of friction material to the rotor surface and a reduction in braking smoothness. The rotor surface may require attention if this occurs. (e.g.ScotchBrite/BrakeKleen).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
I don't do the bedding in procedure for street, only for track. If you don't do the bedding in, you might notice poor performance for a panic stop or other heavy braking in the first few days.

If you ever start getting vibration from the brakes, then you'll have to do the bedding in to fix it, but I doubt that it will happen to you driving around Houston.

FWIW where I live, 65-10 is practically impossible without ending up dead, so I did 90-50 on the freeway and it worked fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well I did the accelerated method because the combo of new pads and new rotors seemed to have very little bite at all- to the point where I was worried about having an accident. After the first bedding in set they feel much better but I may have overdone it, I think there was some smoke coming from the front. Having the brakes bled on Wed and we'll see how I feel about them in about 200 miles or so.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
If you had smoke coming out you might have overdone it. Mine were toasty hot when I did mine but not to the point of smoke coming out. I would suggest you take her around again after they cool off well and see how they do.
      04-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
Well I did the accelerated method because the combo of new pads and new rotors seemed to have very little bite at all- to the point where I was worried about having an accident. After the first bedding in set they feel much better but I may have overdone it, I think there was some smoke coming from the front. Having the brakes bled on Wed and we'll see how I feel about them in about 200 miles or so.
Had the same experience when making the switch to cool carbons. Took a few hundred miles until I felt like they were somewhat bedded. The initial bite is clearly less than OEM, but they do improve with time. Early on in there life, I felt like I got excess or uneven pad material on the rotors when driving/braking hard. This stopped happening after about 500 miles (I guess they were finally cured). I was really happy with them after a couple thousand miles, then updated the front calipers to ST-60s and I'm now running Stoptech pads on the street. That being said, I'm am seriously considering replacing the Stoptechs with Cool Carbons for street duty. Definitely less dust and good feel once bedded.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrichd View Post
The smoke is fine as long as you let it cool down first before you stop the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

With "normal pads", smoke would make me think I got things hot enough that I may have glazed over the rotors and screwed up the brake fluid as well. Are these pads significantly different?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
ulrichd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
With "normal pads", smoke would make me think I got things hot enough that I may have glazed over the rotors and screwed up the brake fluid as well. Are these pads significantly different?
Yes they are.
"Street Performance/Track Tuned (S/T) - This compound is a higher friction level than OE, with much better torque and stopping capability. It is very stable, both cold and hot to temperatures exceeding 600 C (1112 F), due to a special "hollow" ceramic structure that exhibits excellent heat dissipation characteristics. Stainless steel noise shims, bonded to what is already a very quiet formula, ensure virtually no noise under all driving conditions. Improved pedal feel and significantly reduced dust can be expected."
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
kevin @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Had the same experience when making the switch to cool carbons. Took a few hundred miles until I felt like they were somewhat bedded. The initial bite is clearly less than OEM, but they do improve with time. Early on in there life, I felt like I got excess or uneven pad material on the rotors when driving/braking hard. This stopped happening after about 500 miles (I guess they were finally cured). I was really happy with them after a couple thousand miles, then updated the front calipers to ST-60s and I'm now running Stoptech pads on the street. That being said, I'm am seriously considering replacing the Stoptechs with Cool Carbons for street duty. Definitely less dust and good feel once bedded.

Cool Carbon pads are back in stock now for all of the Stoptech applications including the ST-60 caliper-Other happy customers have made the same switch-
we love em!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0