BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Query about lack of info on the on-board computer

Browsing through this forum, I found a picture of BrokenVert's 1er (2009) featuring the same unwanted info display phenomenon as on my 1M (explanation: see below). In that thread some responded that their info display is indeed different.
Source: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325253
Name:  mileage.jpg
Views: 2284
Size:  11.5 KB

As we know, the info display of the on-board computer features two lines:
- first line: either nothing, or range, average speed, average fuel consumption, current fuel consumption + gear shift display (gear figure + arrows in the right hand corner of the first line);
- second line: odometer and trip distance recorder.

In my 1M (and apparently also in BrokenVert's 1er back in 2009) the second line cannot be kept permanently (unlike on probably your 1M's). All I get when pressing the button on the turn indicator lever is a symbol + a figure on the first line + gear shift display, and the unit/measure on the second line (see picture above). Otherwise said: odometer and trip distance recorder vanish. To make the vanished info reappear, I got to push the button a couple of times running through all first line data. Quite annoying.

I did not find anything in the settings to change it to "normal". Also tried, to no avail, keeping the button pushed for a couple of seconds or clicking the button on the same lever to check engine oil level, set clock, etc.

Checked the manual (pages 76-78 - chapters "On-board computer" and "Gearshift point display"), equally to no avail. Moreover, the designs in the manual show the odometer and trip distance recorder permanently on the second line.

Does anyone know how to straighten this, i.e. permanently keeping the odometer and trip distance recorder on the second line. Maybe a setting only the dealership can arrange ?

Last edited by Artemis; 09-27-2011 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Smallz
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1M (AW)

Digital Speedo Display Lack of Data Issue

Hey Artemis,

Same thing here, were you ever able to solve it? Would appreciate it if you could help us who suffered from the same issue with the solution if you were able to find one? I find it so irritating that cars seem to come out of the factory with minor difference like this. Any ideas as to why this difference is happening?

Last edited by Smallz; 06-03-2013 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Browsing through this forum, I found a picture of BrokenVert's 1er (2009) featuring the same unwanted info display phenomenon as on my 1M (explanation: see below). In that thread some responded that their info display is indeed different.
Source: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325253
Attachment 586002

As we know, the info display of the on-board computer features two lines:
- first line: either nothing, or range, average speed, average fuel consumption, current fuel consumption + gear shift display (gear figure + arrows in the right hand corner of the first line);
- second line: odometer and trip distance recorder.

In my 1M (and apparently also in BrokenVert's 1er back in 2009) the second line cannot be kept permanently (unlike on probably your 1M's). All I get when pressing the button on the turn indicator lever is a symbol + a figure on the first line + gear shift display, and the unit/measure on the second line (see picture above). Otherwise said: odometer and trip distance recorder vanish. To make the vanished info reappear, I got to push the button a couple of times running through all first line data. Quite annoying.

Does anyone know how to straighten this, i.e. permanently keeping the odometer and trip distance recorder on the second line. Maybe a setting only the dealership can arrange ?
At this point I suspect that this is because you have the FLA (Fern Licht or High Beam assistant) option. To confirm this hypothesis, it would be helpfull if all that report a similar behavior explicitly mention on having this option or not.

Once the cause is confirmed, we could have a look on whether the shear endless set of coding parameters allows to alter this behavior.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
... Maybe a setting only the dealership can arrange ?
The good news is that if the dealer can change, most likely any coder can change it! Probably the coding community can do much more than any dealer, as they use software intended for factory and R&D).
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Smallz
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1M (AW)

I do have the high beam assist! So odd that that could be the reason for things showing up differently. I don't even have the shift indicators on my 1M not that i really care for them.

I've asked a friend that has a garage here to look into the possibility of coding, will let you know if we come up with anything.

Otherwise anyone can let us know if they come up with anything or were able to solve it.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
At this point I suspect that this is because you have the FLA (Fern Licht or High Beam assistant) option. To confirm this hypothesis, it would be helpfull if all that report a similar behavior explicitly mention on having this option or not.

Once the cause is confirmed, we could have a look on whether the shear endless set of coding parameters allows to alter this behavior.
+1. Yup, I think for cars that have FLA you are stuck with this setup.

I agree that you should ask a coder in your area IF it is possible to change the display.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Mike Benvo at bpmsport.com might be able to help.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Mike Benvo at bpmsport.com might be able to help.

Neil
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
Artemis
Rep

Good to see that you revived this "old" thread, djib.

As a matter of fact, I posted this question only a few days after I got my 1M. My dealership did not know the cause for this peculiar layout. I suspected the optional "High Beam Assist" (HBA) feature to be the culprit. Reposted my question a couple of times:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...02&postcount=4 (Nov 2011)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=10 (Jan 2012)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=10 (March 2012)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...89&postcount=4 (March 2012)

I'm pretty convinced that every 1M (maybe even all E82 BMW cars) with HBA has this impractical OBC layout and that no-one has resolved this issue yet. Not sure whether it can be resolved with coding: showing the HBA icon requires space on the OBC (no doubt that BMW found that out too).

Pictures from the past of my OBC (currently I'm at 23K kms) (please note that the OBC layout is identical when HBA is not activated, thus regardless whether the HBA icon is shown or not):

Name:  HB_Mileage.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  5.2 KBName:  HB_Speed.jpg
Views: 1679
Size:  4.8 KBName:  HB_Range.jpg
Views: 1612
Size:  4.8 KB
Name:  HB_Fuel.jpg
Views: 1642
Size:  5.1 KBName:  HB_AvSpeed.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  4.8 KBName:  HB_ServiceInfo.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  5.1 KB
      06-04-2013, 02:44 AM   #10
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M Pure S2

err guys, ask your dealership to do a software update for you
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #11
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
err guys, ask your dealership to do a software update for you
AFAIK BMW did not resolve this issue so please elaborate whether you know about some BMW software update remedying this peculiar (read: annoying/impractical) OBC layout.
      06-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #12
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
AFAIK BMW did not resolve this issue so please elaborate whether you know about some BMW software update remedying this peculiar (read: annoying/impractical) OBC layout.
Don't hold your breath for BMW including dealers to acknowledge this to be an issue with option FLA 5AC. With a lot of market feedback, the default FLA display appearance might be optimized in any next generations

The E89 platform's FLA tracefile (see below) does not have obvious display related parameters in them. NFRM and or KOMBI *.trc files might still have FLA related parameters in them. TBC

TYP_LENKUNG
linkslenker
EMPFINDLICHKEIT_VERSTELL
nicht_aktiv
LAENDERVARIANTE_FLA
ece
deutschland
gb
australien
korea
aegypten
golf
suedafrika
taiwan
malaysia
thailand
philippinen
indonesien
RICHTUNG_BILD_OFFSET
ab
VERTIKAL_BILD_OFFSET
wert_04
wert_05
wert_06
CITY_LONG_AVG_PEAK_TC
wert_01
ZEIT_AUFBLENDEN_TRUCK
wert_01
STREETLAMP_COUNT
wert_01
TYP_FRONTSCHEIBE_FLA
serienscheibe
VILLAGE_TYP
wert_01
CAN_MESSAGE
wert_01
CITY_ABBLENDEN_KURZ_HB
wert_01
CITY_ABBLENDEN_KURZ_LB
wert_01
CITY_AUFBLENDEN_KURZ_HB
wert_01
CITY_AUFBLENDEN_KURZ_LB
wert_01
EMPFINDLICHKEIT_FARBLOS
wert_01
GESCHWINDIGKEIT_ABBLENDEN
wert_01
GESCHWINDIGKEIT_AUFBLEND
wert_01
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

Quote:
... NFRM and or KOMBI *.trc files might still have FLA related parameters in them. ...
Stumbled across this 1M kombi.trc parameter: FLA_VERBAUT = aktiv / nicht_aktiv. As it is in kombi (= BMW name for the instrument module), this is likely to influence FLA related matters on the instrument panel.

OP, I think it's worth toggling this parameter, to see if it solves your FLA display agony!?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
sid21177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i AW/ 2013 128i AW

Garage List
2013 128i AW  [0.00]
2011 328i AW  [0.00]
Quote:
Good to see that you revived this "old" thread, djib.

As a matter of fact, I posted this question only a few days after I got my 1M. My dealership did not know the cause for this peculiar layout. I suspected the optional "High Beam Assist" (HBA) feature to be the culprit. Reposted my question a couple of times:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...02&postcount=4 (Nov 2011)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=10 (Jan 2012)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=10 (March 2012)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...89&postcount=4 (March 2012)

I'm pretty convinced that every 1M (maybe even all E82 BMW cars) with HBA has this impractical OBC layout and that no-one has resolved this issue yet. Not sure whether it can be resolved with coding: showing the HBA icon requires space on the OBC (no doubt that BMW found that out too).

Pictures from the past of my OBC (currently I'm at 23K kms) (please note that the OBC layout is identical when HBA is not activated, thus regardless whether the HBA icon is shown or not):

Attachment 871364Attachment 871365Attachment 871366
Attachment 871367Attachment 871368Attachment 871369
At the risk of getting flamed for reviving a dead thread - my 2013 128i also has the same issue and I do not have high beam assist

I would love to see the odometer permanently on the 2nd line with the 1st line toggling between modes (my 3 series does that)

I asked the dealership & they said the cluster is behaving normally per specs - which i interpret as they having no clue abt why the setting is like this in the 1st place

If a guy with a manual transmission can share his kombi file then we can compare with ours
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 02:37 PM   #15
cglass
Registered
Rep
Drives: e88

Quote:
Stumbled across this 1M kombi.trc parameter: FLA_VERBAUT = aktiv / nicht_aktiv. As it is in kombi (= BMW name for the instrument module), this is likely to influence FLA related matters on the instrument panel.

OP, I think it's worth toggling this parameter, to see if it solves your FLA display agony!?
Thank you! Disabling FLA_VERBAUT solved this display problem on my cluster!
Appreciate 0