BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-02-2011, 03:31 AM   #111
black330i
Rep
Drives: 330i

Smile filter cap function?

Hi! I'm new to the forum and owner of '06 330i. The oil filter cap is missing the pole and stack. I'm wondering if it should be there and what role it plays? I appreciate any comments. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #112
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Just wanted to bump and say thanks for this video. This was the first time I worked under my/any car. The process really is as simple as it seems. After purchasing the ramps & the oil filter cap removal tool, it became more expensive than paying an indy shop; just wanted to do it for the experience though. A few things:

-I drained and it only filled up about 5.5 quarts of oil; but I checked oil level recently before the oil change and iDrive told me I was 'OK' and just below max.
-The oil filter cap removal tool I got from ECS is now stuck on the oil filter cap. Is that bad? lol
-With the car on ramps, I noticed a pretty decent amount of oil still in the filter housing. I added 6.5 quarts instead of 7, and I'm all the way topped off at full.
-Even with the 7-8" the ramps gave me, it's still pretty tight down there! I'm lowered on KW V1s, I'm sure that doesn't help.
-My crush washer ended up in the drain pan. I didn't realize this until after I finished pouring the used oil back into the oil cases.
-I need quality mechanic gloves next time!
Appreciate 0