BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Exclamation E92 M3 broken differential bolt...

Since the 1M uses a lot of the same parts used on the M3 for the diff... I was wondering IF anyone has had their rear diff bolts break?

E92 M3 broken differential bolt
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441119
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Just checked the "scary" M3 differential bolt thread Dack. First of all, thanks for bringing it up. I think I would remember some 1M owner posting about it here in this Forum which I can't. This doesn't mean a thing though since people not post every issue here or I can not claim I have read every single post and more importantly due to the nature of this issue maybe some did not even notice that they have or they are about to have a serious problem.

But unless someone pops in and reports exact same issue it doesn't seem to be a common 1M issue, at least not yet. And we have some members with close to (or more now) 50K miles, never heard such complaints even from them.

On another note, maybe it is just normal because of the rarity of 1M, there are just too many E9X M3s produced in comparison to 1M, and in US even more of a disparity, just 740 cars vs literally many thousands maybe tens of thousands so it is also natural that this issue would mostly be perceived as a M3 issue.

First time in the workshop and car up on the lift I will be checking those bolts carefully with the technician, just to make sure if everything looks safe and sound!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 10-01-2013 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

I checked my diff last month.
No problem so far after 30000 km, and seven or eight track days.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #4
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Interesting
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 10:01 AM   #5
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Exclamation Diff bolt broke on 1M

A diff bolt broke off yesterday on my 1M on a long highway drive to Mexico City.

I had all the same symptoms that the guys on the M3 forum report. Banging when shifting (avoided by being as smooth as possible) and some occasional grinding noises (probably from the shafts grinding against something in certain moments).

Currently at the CDMX dealer having the bolt replaced, fortunately it seems there is no additional damage. When I drive back to my hometown I’ll have the bushings replaced.

Will update if anything else comes up.

My car has 65,000km, about 41,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 02:31 PM   #6
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

sounds like another good reason to ditch the stock GKN unit for anything with equal length output shafts.
Appreciate 0