BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-31-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Exclamation ActiveE Fan Stuck On

I went downstairs to check on my car's charging status (I setup a charging station in my company garage)

I've been experiencing the falling asleep issue (the one where the car shuts down midcharge. I came down - the car was asleep so I did what I always do to wake it up. I unlock and lock the car.

Except when I unlocked it the cooling fan came on at full blast.

Fast forward an hour later and the fan is still on. I sat in the car and checked battery temps - its siting at 84 degrees. A bit low for midcharge in my hot company garage.

I can't turn this fan off. It's stuck on.

Any Other ActiveE owners ever had this issue? How do you fix it?

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 325i, 2012 135i

Not related but I had to post. I had a Fiat Spider which I really liked. The only problem was with those, what I consider, stupid fans. It would not come on and the engine would over heat. It did this to two of them.

I hope you find the answer quickly and solve the sleeping problem too.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Maybe your ActiveE needs a SW update?

But seriously... why not contact a dealer or use the SOS button and ask whats going on. I think BMW has some remote reading of errors via satellite. Its worth a shot.

Is this fan for the electric motor cooling???
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
alvitdk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I went downstairs to check on my car's charging status (I setup a charging station in my company garage)

I've been experiencing the falling asleep issue (the one where the car shuts down midcharge. I came down - the car was asleep so I did what I always do to wake it up. I unlock and lock the car.

Except when I unlocked it the cooling fan came on at full blast.

Fast forward an hour later and the fan is still on. I sat in the car and checked battery temps - its siting at 84 degrees. A bit low for midcharge in my hot company garage.

I can't turn this fan off. It's stuck on.

Any Other ActiveE owners ever had this issue? How do you fix it?
Given the little amount of people in here owning a Active E, and the little experience with them, best bet is giving your friendly BMW dealer a call
Also Drive: 22' Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Waiting for 23' BMW Z4 M40i:
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

The car is 3 stories underground and I don't have the time to move it.

Worst part of this is that it's going to BMW in jersey tomorrow for its 12K miles service. This couldn't have waited a day?

And yes dack - it's the cooling fan for the batteries and ithink its the same fan as a normal 1 series. Loudest damned noise the car makes is when it kicks on

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Anothe not for Dack - in the ActiveE's iDrive there is a submenu that contains a help function.

Click it and you get taken through BMW assist automatically to a 24 hour ActiveE help desk. There's always someone on call for when stuff like this happens.

I'm just currently 3 stories underneath a 30 floor building in Brooklyn

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Unfortunately this is common. Occasionally the fan will come on and run for hours, it's happened to all of us. It probably happened to you already but you weren't near it so you didn't realize it. I spoke to the BMW engineers and they basically said to ignore it and it will shut off- it just may take a while. Since the last time I had my service I've noticed it isn't as loud anymore so I think they are doing something to make it quieter because it is friggen LOUD! I did a blog post on this a few months ago: http://activeemobility.blogspot.com/...in-garage.html
      08-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolog View Post
Unfortunately this is common. Occasionally the fan will come on and run for hours, it's happened to all of us. It probably happened to you already but you weren't near it so you didn't realize it. I spoke to the BMW engineers and they basically said to ignore it and it will shut off- it just may take a while. Since the last time I had my service I've noticed it isn't as loud anymore so I think they are doing something to make it quieter because it is friggen LOUD! I did a blog post on this a few months ago: http://activeemobility.blogspot.com/...in-garage.html
Thanks.

Thats what happened. It just kind of turned off.

The car just went in for its 10K service - 3K late because they decided to not put me in for a month. I know its going to be trucked to Jersey, which sucks.

Ill be two weeks without the E :/

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

Thats what happened. It just kind of turned off.

The car just went in for its 10K service - 3K late because they decided to not put me in for a month. I know its going to be trucked to Jersey, which sucks.

Ill be two weeks without the E :/
Were you told it was going to Woodcliff Lake? I'd like to know why if that's the case. All service in now performed at the dealerships unless it involves work on the high voltage battery system. Do you have a specific problem? If not the dealer should be doing the service. The only other reason they would send it to NJ would be if the ActiveE technician at your dealer was on vacation or on extended leave.
      08-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommolog View Post
Were you told it was going to Woodcliff Lake? I'd like to know why if that's the case. All service in now performed at the dealerships unless it involves work on the high voltage battery system. Do you have a specific problem? If not the dealer should be doing the service. The only other reason they would send it to NJ would be if the ActiveE technician at your dealer was on vacation or on extended leave.
They want my car because they think its the key to solving to sleep problems that they have on chargepoint (Coulomb) chargers.

Im a unique case as I use the same charging at home that I do at work. I take my charging station with me to and from so that I can charge while im at work because my job is about 60 miles from my house and I occasionally end up having to run around the city going to meetings.

At my house, the car never falls asleep, but at work it does. The only differences that anyone has been able to come up with is that I charge at 6.4 at my home but only 5.7 at work. That and NYC voltage throttles (down to lows of about 205 Volts). So BMW had requested my car and my charger to figure out if the sleep issues are simply a result of low charge rate or something more suspicious.

Also my regen brakes (I know its not actually brakes) have only been grabbing at about half of their usual force lately. That and my car stutters slightly when starting to move from a stop. So its been sent to Jersey because they think they might need to do a motor swap on it.

I just cant get lucky and have a BMW that actually works for a change, can I?

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They want my car because they think its the key to solving to sleep problems that they have on chargepoint (Coulomb) chargers.

Im a unique case as I use the same charging at home that I do at work. I take my charging station with me to and from so that I can charge while im at work because my job is about 60 miles from my house and I occasionally end up having to run around the city going to meetings.

At my house, the car never falls asleep, but at work it does. The only differences that anyone has been able to come up with is that I charge at 6.4 at my home but only 5.7 at work. That and NYC voltage throttles (down to lows of about 205 Volts). So BMW had requested my car and my charger to figure out if the sleep issues are simply a result of low charge rate or something more suspicious.

Also my regen brakes (I know its not actually brakes) have only been grabbing at about half of their usual force lately. That and my car stutters slightly when starting to move from a stop. So its been sent to Jersey because they think they might need to do a motor swap on it.

I just cant get lucky and have a BMW that actually works for a change, can I?
Interesting. I have been working with them on trying to identify the issue(s) with charging also. It only happens on Coulomb(soon to be rebadged 'ChargePoint') and Clipper Creek equipment. If you charge on equipment form GE, Leviton, Blink, PEP, AeroVironment and others there is no issue. I have both Clipper Creek, Blink and Coulomb chargers at my restaurant in Montclair so it's a good place to test one against the other.

I can't speak about the other BMW's you've had problems with in the past, but you had to expect some level of issues with this car, right? It's basically a Frankenstein car that was hacked apart and reassembled. I've been lucky, but there have been people that have had the car in for service issues longer than they've had it so far!
      08-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
They want my car because they think its the key to solving to sleep problems that they have on chargepoint (Coulomb) chargers....

....I just cant get lucky and have a BMW that actually works for a change, can I?

BrokenVert has a BrokenActiveE! <jk>
Appreciate 0