BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2017, 08:38 AM   #1
liebemeinauto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AW

Lux H8 Amber Halos

Well, it's been a while since I've changed much, but, given that I have an orange kind of theme going on, I've been wanting amber halos. It was actually the dim, sometimes maligned "orangish" appearing stock halos (along with the interior BMW Red -- looks more orange to me -- gauges) that got me thinking about orange accents for the car project, leading to the wheels, custom grilles and custom rear wing, but making the halos more deliberately orange, instead of "amber by default of dimness," has been on my mind for a while.

Tried some "eBay" DTEC's (very possibly knock-offs) that were a big disappointment -- so dim that they didn't even look like they were on, and the headlights washed them out completely (I upgraded a while ago to 6000K Xenons), plus apparently they fried the shielding off of my halo wires in the headlight housing so, overall, not the best experience and was about to give up on it, after reading various bad experiences of so many different tries at this, but came across reviews of the LUX H8's and found they are available in amber!

Huge thanks to Marc at LUX, for his patience and for assembling a custom set for me. Nothing is ever simple sometimes, and it seems the E82 halo issue is one of those somewhat complicated topics, with views ranging from skipping it altogether, going with coding instead, to proclamations of what brand is not only best, but superior to all other concepts. I'm not about to spark a light war here, but suffice to say, from everything I could learn about it, and from my very excellent dealings with Marc at LUX, I decided the H8's were what I wanted to try.

Having already learned from blocking the adaptive motors during the eBay version install, this time it went very smoothly, securing everything out of the way, and, while I've read that "you'll be surprised at the difference of the LUX product" I was thrilled with the brilliance and color of these. In full daylight they are very obviously amber, and as the sun begins to wane, or on any of the many, many cloudy days here, the effect is just progressively impressive, giving a true "devil's eye" look.

I realize of course that plug and play bulbs have limits, versus the EZ Bake Oven route of cracking open the headlight housing and going with a full halo system swap, but these are more than bright enough and give the exact impression I wanted, really complimenting and bringing together the orange accent theme. So, I'm hugely satisfied, and definitely recommend these.

Obviously pics can be deceiving somewhat, but the first set is in relatively full sunlight at mid-day, and the others are in my garage, making them appear overly glaring but the net effect is a very defined inner ring and well-lit enough outer ring to be readily apparent, even in full light, of the upgrade and, as I say, as early evening/dusk comes, they just look even meaner and, at night, they are still visible, clearly, even with the 6000K Xenons lit.

Combined with the new custom fogs I got, which are awesome, and are on their own remote (also have strobe effects, etc.) my lighting is well squared away, with plenty of light for the road, and the look I have wanted.

Of course, going different is not for all, and sticking with white is traditional I know, but obviously my car is not meant to be traditional, and, for anyone seeking a different look than just whiter halos, these amber ones are really an incredible product. For me, it was a perfect match for my car.
Attached Images

Stay tuned, be tuned. '08 135i N54 6MT, Coral Red Interior, Fire Orange custom grilles and fade-to-black custom BMW Rear Wing, Black Line tail lights, Cobb CP, Forge DV's, aFe DCI's, ETS 5" FMIC, aFe Mach Power exhaust, Cobb catted DP's, M Suspension bits, PTF tune (on Cobb AP), 6000k Xenons, Lux H8 Amber halos, Custom fogs. Conformity is for wimps!

Last edited by liebemeinauto; 05-16-2017 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

wow those look awesome in the picture, and go really well with the grills and wheels. Glad I could help out with the process as well for you!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
liebemeinauto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AW

Thanks right back to you, for all the great help, and, wow, finally having a sunny day here, these are fully visible even in direct sunlight. Sweet. Getting lots of compliments and definitely makes the car stand out from the usual halos. Wish I would've done this a long time ago. Very thankful to have come across your product! Lux FTW!
Stay tuned, be tuned. '08 135i N54 6MT, Coral Red Interior, Fire Orange custom grilles and fade-to-black custom BMW Rear Wing, Black Line tail lights, Cobb CP, Forge DV's, aFe DCI's, ETS 5" FMIC, aFe Mach Power exhaust, Cobb catted DP's, M Suspension bits, PTF tune (on Cobb AP), 6000k Xenons, Lux H8 Amber halos, Custom fogs. Conformity is for wimps!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I know this thread is a bit old, but we do officially have these lights for sale on our website now as well.
Appreciate 0