BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-09-2022, 05:10 PM   #1
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Adjustable Endlinks

Haven't been able to find a clear answer for this one: Are adjustable endlinks required for a car lowered on BMWP springs? I installed B8s w/ BMWP springs a while back but didn't even think about the endlinks. Now I'm noticing a clunking sound when going over really harsh pavement. Haven't gotten the car in the air to give it a really through lookover just yet so it could be something else, but I'm about to install an E93 M3 front swaybar so this seems like a good "while I'm in there" kinda thing, especially since mine probably need to be replaced anyways.

Everything I've found about the full BMWP suspension kit indicates that it didn't come with new endlinks, presumably since the drop is so conservative. I know they won't hurt anything (if properly adjusted), but are they necessary? If so, both front and rear? Any brand recommendations? BimmerWorld has some nice looking links that aren't crazy expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 05:53 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

One or more suspension pieces need to be tightened with the car on the wheels. Or at least things in their normal position. If you tightened everything with the wheels dropped in the air, that might be what's up?

(Or it might apply to an altogether different piece and if so, sorry)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 07:39 PM   #3
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
One or more suspension pieces need to be tightened with the car on the wheels. Or at least things in their normal position. If you tightened everything with the wheels dropped in the air, that might be what's up?

(Or it might apply to an altogether different piece and if so, sorry)
We were meticulous with the install. If it needed to be torqued at ride height, it was torqued at ride height.

Kinda hard to tell from inside the car, but the sound seems to be coming from the rear. Need to get the wheels off and adjust the parking brake so I'll be checking the rear control arms when I take care of that.

That being said, still curious as to wether or not adjustable endlinks are necessary/beneficial in my case.
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2022, 07:59 PM   #4
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

I have Whiteline adjustable endlinks on the front. They really do help - especially if you install them correctly. Not a night day difference, but noticeable.

When I first put them on I simply measured the stock ones and adjusted for the supposed drop from stock. Later did it the right away: Loosen the adjuster nuts, get the car suspension loaded to ride height, turn the end links until there is no tension, then tighten the adjustment nuts. Bit of a pain as the wheels need to be off to get to the adjustment and torque them.

I've been looking for something for the rear. Thought about getting these:

https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...2-e93-e82-e88/

but for some reason they say for racing or track use. I don't know if that is because they create nvh or don't hold up to street abuse.
      02-09-2022, 08:11 PM   #5
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I have Whiteline adjustable endlinks on the front. They really do help - especially if you install them correctly. Not a night day difference, but noticeable.

When I first put them on I simply measured the stock ones and adjusted for the supposed drop from stock. Later did it the right away: Loosen the adjuster nuts, get the car suspension loaded to ride height, turn the end links until there is no tension, then tighten the adjustment nuts. Bit of a pain as the wheels need to be off to get to the adjustment and torque them.

I've been looking for something for the rear. Thought about getting these:

https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...2-e93-e82-e88/

but for some reason they say for racing or track use. I don't know if that is because they create nvh or don't hold up to street abuse.
Think I'll just pull the trigger then. Mine probably need to be replaced anyways, might as well go for an upgrade.

As for the install, think it'd be doable on ramps? Been a while since I've worked in that area but I did replace a severed pad wear sensor with the car on ramps. Had to worm my arm up in there which wasn't ideal but it was doable. I'm fuckin' terrified to put the car back on jack stands after I had a jack pad break on me.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 08:31 PM   #6
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Popov View Post
Think I'll just pull the trigger then. Mine probably need to be replaced anyways, might as well go for an upgrade.

As for the install, think it'd be doable on ramps? Been a while since I've worked in that area but I did replace a severed pad wear sensor with the car on ramps. Had to worm my arm up in there which wasn't ideal but it was doable. I'm fuckin' terrified to put the car back on jack stands after I had a jack pad break on me.
Yes to ramps. It's been a while, but I think these are the steps I used-

- Pull the front wheels off and loosen the adjustment nuts. Or for initial install, installing the endlinks but be sure to have the adjustment nuts loosened enough.

- put the wheels back on than get the car on ramps

- turn the endlinks so that there is little to no resistance. You'll feel the pre-load on the bar going away as you get the right length

- tighten/torque the endlink adjustment nuts. (If I recall correctly, you have to get the car off the ramps, then remove the wheels to do this)
      02-09-2022, 10:03 PM   #7
gjm120
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm fuckin' terrified to put the car back on jack stands after I had a jack pad break on me.
This just registered with me. I assume you didn't get hurt but what the hell happened? Were you using something other than a flat top jackstand?
      02-09-2022, 11:29 PM   #8
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
This just registered with me. I assume you didn't get hurt but what the hell happened? Were you using something other than a flat top jackstand?
Was using standard jack stands. Got the rear up in the air and went to jack up the front. Side of the jack point gave out and the side of the car slid out on to the stand. Fortunately I wasn't under it but it put a nasty dent in the rear quarter panel. Must've gotten the car to an angle that the 13 yr old plastic didn't like. Needless to say anytime I've been under it while on stands I boot scoot and boogie my ass outta there if I hear so much as a creak. Ramps have been my go to.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 08:50 PM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Haven't been able to find a clear answer for this one: Are adjustable endlinks required for a car lowered on BMWP springs? I installed B8s w/ BMWP springs a while back but didn't even think about the endlinks. Now I'm noticing a clunking sound when going over really harsh pavement. Haven't gotten the car in the air to give it a really through lookover just yet so it could be something else, but I'm about to install an E93 M3 front swaybar so this seems like a good "while I'm in there" kinda thing, especially since mine probably need to be replaced anyways.

Everything I've found about the full BMWP suspension kit indicates that it didn't come with new endlinks, presumably since the drop is so conservative. I know they won't hurt anything (if properly adjusted), but are they necessary? If so, both front and rear? Any brand recommendations? BimmerWorld has some nice looking links that aren't crazy expensive.
No, not required. However, having adjustable end links will allow you to get your anti roll bar to the best geometry possible. You can also take any preload in the suspension out with adjustable links.

Have a look at these if you want OEM quality sealed joints that will last many years to come.

https://www.hpashop.com/HP-Autosport...?categoryId=-1

SPL and Whittling also make really nice adjustable ones as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 12:29 PM   #10
spidertri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 128i 6MT Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Has anyone used the Hotchkis endlink kit 25834? Comes with all four endlinks and ball joints have dust boots.
Appreciate 0