E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Whats with this crackdown BS?!

06-16-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Whats with this crackdown BS?!

CHP Cracks Down on Speeders Along I-5
By Alicia Wittmeyer, Times Staff Writer

Link to article from LA Times

Speeders statewide were met with a nasty surprise in the past day — 461 California Highway Patrol officers stationed along the length of Interstate 5 from Oregon to the Mexican border. At least 2,010 motorists were cited for speeding as of 6 a.m. today, about five times the normal number, the CHP said.

And motorists can expect more of the zero-tolerance sweeps this summer, the CHP said.

The extra officers were assigned for 24 hours, starting at 6 a.m. Wednesday. Violators were charged with traveling at speeds ranging from less than 10 mph over the speed limit to more than 30 mph.

The CHP plans to conduct similar operations on every major interstate freeway in California this summer.

"We've noticed that the speeds have creeped up, accidents have creeped up, and we want to do something about it," said Arthur Anderson, assistant commissioner in charge of field operations.

I-5 is a major commerce artery for the state. An accident along the road can have major repercussions.

"It's the main commerce conduit for the economy — just a hugely significant freeway system," said Lt. Todd Morrison, whose Redding area office wrote 42 tickets. "When you get an overturned truck closing I-5, it really, really shuts things down."

Over the years, both speed and traffic — and therefore accidents — have increased, said Coalinga area Sgt. Don Tripp, whose office roped in 65 speeders, including one going 113 mph.

Coalinga, along with other local offices, performs its own 24-hour crackdowns periodically, and has another planned for I-5 next month.

When people get out onto interstate freeways like I-5, the wide open spaces can inspire drivers to push the pedal a little too close to the metal, Anderson said.

"If you've noticed, when you get out onto Interstate 5, when you get out of urban areas, the tendency is it's a big open roadway, there's nobody out there, there's no houses, I'm going to speed," Anderson said. "There's a psychological reason behind it."

And the CHP is making no allowances for people going only a few miles per hour over the speed limit.

"Realistically, if an officer sees a bunch of people speeding, he's probably going to pick off the one going the fastest, because it sets a good example, but there is no cushion," said Capt. Ellen Connely.

Her Newhall area office handed out 167 speeding tickets, including one to a truck traveling 62 mph in a 55-mph zone.

The cushion is "a myth," she said. "And I think quite a few people found that out."
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

Quote:
2,010 motorists were cited for speeding
and that equals how much revenue? If I was the CEO of that corperation I'd do it more often too... Damn the cops, say the realy reason for tickets and I highly doubt it safety

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
AznBeemer23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black Hamann E90

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
its all BS....
2006 330i Automatic |Jet Black | Black Leather | Brushed Aluminum | Premium Package | Sports Package | iDrive & Navigation | 5% Tint | Hamann Kit | Tein SS-P Coilover | Forgeline VR3P 19x8.5 front 19x10 rear | Falken FK-451 235/35ZR19 Front 265/30ZR19 Rear | Rotora 6 Pistons Front 4 Pistons Rear Big Brake Kit | Fujita Air Intake

www.uucmotorwerks.com www.foxmarketing.net www.falkentire.com www.rotora.com www.f5air.com www.tein.com www.wheelpower.com
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
jiggax23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

30mph over the speed limit may be excessive, but typically speaking, 5-10mph over the speed limit is not bad at all. if everyone is going 75mph, i feel much safer following the flow of traffic rather than driving 10mph slower than everyone. for them to increase the citation rate by ~500% can only imply to me that the state is in it for the money more than anything else. im sure there are other factors in it, im sure they wanna make it a safer place, but i highly doubt those factors are any more of a priority than the revenue factor.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
The governator needs someone to fund his special election probably.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
anyone who says they ticket more because of "safety" issues is lying out their butt. This "crackdowns" and "increase awareness" of speeding is all about money, just as you say timeforzero. Its a sad sad sad day when this stuff happens, but with speed cameras, higher fines, and more crackdowns, its something we let these assholes do to us so they can fund their projects and extravagant promises of wealth to us with. damn politicians.
      06-16-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivid
and that equals how much revenue? If I was the CEO of that corperation I'd do it more often too... Damn the cops, say the realy reason for tickets and I highly doubt it safety
I think one of the requirements to be CEO of a corporation is that you have to know how to spell "corporation".
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Sorry but I have to vent, because CHP's are just useless whores.
This one time I was driving back to Irvine from Cerritos at night on the 5, and this drunk driver in a black fixed up (chrome dubs, blue headlights, the works, the ugly works) surburban start trying to race me by speeding up and slowing down repeatedly next to me. At first I ignored him and slowed down, then when he started swerving from lane to lane in front of me, I just floored it and blew past him. He gave chase, but my old car was turboed and he had no chance.

So after I pulled about half a mile ahead I slowed back down, but of course he came up again, and nearly ran me off the road. Then when I rolled down the window next to him and gave him the bird, he threw something and dented my car. Immediately I called the cops on the cell, and trying to follow him at the same time to try to get the plate. But he was jumping lanes and pretend like he was gonna exit then pull back on at the last second, so I didn't try to follow too closely with one hand on the phone. After being transferred, and put on hold bunch of times, I finally got a hold of CHP dispatch, but by that time the car's long gone.

I gave them the description of the vehicle and my info and that was it. A cruiser showed up 30min later at my house and said since they are the only unit patroling the area from anaheim down to mission viejo, they didn't have anyone close by to give chase. Then basically they told me there's nothing they can do, or will try to do unless they happen upon this guy and see him driving recklessly.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #9
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
I think one of the requirements to be CEO of a corporation is that you have to know how to spell "corporation".
Ciabatta, C.I.A.B.A.T.T.A., ciabatta. Peace out.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 10:59 PM   #10
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Civic Si

"Wah, I'm breaking the law. Don't give me a ticket..."

Going 5 mph over won't even get a second look from the Highway Patrol here in Kansas. You can get away with 9-10 over most of the time on the highway, especially the turnpike. Kansas law states that anything 10 mph or less over the speed limit isnt considered a moving violation so it doesnt serve much point to pull one over doing less than 80.

Quote:
8-1560c. Certain violations of maximum speed limits not construed as moving traffic violations.

(a) Any conviction or forfeiture of bail or bond for violating the maximum posted or authorized speed limit of 55 miles per hour or more but not exceeding 70 miles per hour on any highway, by not more than 10 miles per hour, shall not be construed as a moving traffic

violation for the purpose of K.S.A. 8-255, and amendments thereto.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2005, 11:47 PM   #11
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

30 over the limit could be as low as 85

Thats really friggin dangerous to drive 85

The speed limit is retarded, no one drives 65 and anyone who does is really an A hole, and is slowing me down on my way to work. There's really no reason for anyone to be driving less than 80 on the freeway, if we're all driving 80 or more they can't pull us all over can they??
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 12:03 AM   #12
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman
Going 5 mph over won't even get a second look from the Highway Patrol here in Kansas.
.....Looks like we're not in Kansas anymore!

-Sorry, I had to.....If it wasn't me, then somebody else would have said it.

Seriously, I routinely cruise at about 85- 90 on LA freeways. What the BMW is for.....It seems fine to me. Most of the traffic is going either 85mph or 10 mph, depending on traffic.
      06-17-2005, 12:04 AM   #13
romeo26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e30 325 (no lette)

holy crap
cant the coppers do something else then hand over tickets to people going 5 and over? b/c for me its really hard to go speed limit!!! they should have those cops patroling the freeways that has the shootings, wouldent you think so, i do!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 12:04 AM   #14
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I wonder if you can take ur speeding violation case to supreme court and fight it as there's no federal speed limit, its only enforced my local government, which means you can try to argue it being unconstitutional.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 12:07 AM   #15
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Definitely rather be in Kansas than California...

$2.60what for gas? Yea, think I'll stick to my $1.99/gal along with cheaper everything else.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 12:11 AM   #16
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
I wonder if you can take ur speeding violation case to supreme court and fight it as there's no federal speed limit, its only enforced my local government, which means you can try to argue it being unconstitutional.
Unconstitutional? You'd be laughed out of the courtroom so fast. Speed limits are one thing along with a billion other things left to local officials to decide BY the constitution.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 12:14 AM   #17
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
tru dat, u best be hear'n dis...

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 12:25 AM   #18
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman
Definitely rather be in Kansas than California...

$2.60what for gas? Yea, think I'll stick to my $1.99/gal along with cheaper everything else.
Umm, I used to live in Kansas,

and it's more than worth the added gas, housing, whatever the heck else you can think of, to NOT LIVE IN KANSAS

It's really awfull to have sunny 80 degree weather all summer and sunny 65 degree weather all winter. Try living in CA for awhile, you'll realize how bad kansass is
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 12:28 AM   #19
KUweatherman
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
Umm, I used to live in Kansas,

and it's more than worth the added gas, housing, whatever the heck else you can think of, to NOT LIVE IN KANSAS

It's really awfull to have sunny 80 degree weather all summer and sunny 65 degree weather all winter. Try living in CA for awhile, you'll realize how bad kansass is
For those of us that actually like to enjoy all FOUR seasons, this is the place. The only reason I will ever live in California is if the Air Force sends me there.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 12:50 AM   #20
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
I barely moved to north cali, and I can tell you cannot wait until I get to move back to LA. You don't miss it until you leave. Everyone can say how bad LA is, but once you live there, you get spoiled and will never want to leave.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2005, 12:55 AM   #21
cosmosblau
cunning, baffling, powerful
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW 535i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
I barely moved to north cali, and I can tell you cannot wait until I get to move back to LA. You don't miss it until you leave. Everyone can say how bad LA is, but once you live there, you get spoiled and will never want to leave.

AMEN.
:rocks:
      06-17-2005, 04:06 AM   #22
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

I'm glad everyone is getting so "pissed off" about this speed trapping thing!!!! WELCOME TO MY WORLD!

Here in South Africa, the idiots believe "speed kills". Only speed. Not taxi's which drive unroadworthy cars, change lanes without indicating, with double their capacity in people. Therefor, we have hiden speeding camera's everywhere....little metropolice (traffic cops) sitting behind their camera's.

Just the other day, I was stopped at a robot. Two cars went into eachother and it was quite a messy accident. Causing an obstuction and hence traffic at the intersection...and about 10m down the road, the metropolice still stuck to their camera's...you wanna know why -> Because just under the bridge they were sitting on...the highway (freeway) speed limit drops from 120km/h to 100km/h (before the bridge) and then to 80km/h just under the bridge...so...here you have 4 lanes of traffic, driving at LEAST 100km/h and they can ticket each and every driver with their camera...and make lots of money.

So basically...it's like this I5 road adds 500cops gives them all camera's so they can photograph the speeders and send them tickets in the mail, but then dropping the speed limit for 75mph in one section to 50mph just a little down the road (in the same conditions)...Of course everyone would be speeding...

GRRR It drives me wild.
Appreciate 0