BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #23
dg108
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Hey OP, I had 2 GLI/DSG and now have a DCT 135i. The DCT is a far nicer transmission and doesn't have many of the DSG quirks. With the sport button pushed and under hard throttle the shifts are really unbelievably quick and around town it behaves just like a real automatic that just shifts faster. I am Stage 1 aggressive (Cobb) and already at a fun power level.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #24
jtgarrett
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jetta GLI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Happy to help! The DCT/N55 is really great, almost bought one and then out of the blue I found the perfect 1er (for me). Good luck with your search man, don't settle.

Definitely not man! Hopefully I can find a white one but I'll be stoked with black too so options are there. Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexResistance View Post
I run 30% E85 on Map 5. (JB4) Any more than that you need the flex fuel wire upgrade and fuel pump upgrade. I buy E85 and put it in a fuel can, and when i am going to the dyno, or want to play on the autobahn I mix it in to around 30-40% and let the JB4 adapt. The DCT is nice, but I would get the 6MT. The 6MT in the N55 powered cars is the same transmission the 1M came with and it is different than the 6MT in the N54 powered cars.
Nice, no need for injectors in these? And man as much as I've been dying to get a 6speed, I just don't think this is the car that I want it in. I think the DCT will be the better choice for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg108 View Post
Hey OP, I had 2 GLI/DSG and now have a DCT 135i. The DCT is a far nicer transmission and doesn't have many of the DSG quirks. With the sport button pushed and under hard throttle the shifts are really unbelievably quick and around town it behaves just like a real automatic that just shifts faster. I am Stage 1 aggressive (Cobb) and already at a fun power level.
Very nice man! What gen were they? And yes noticeably quicker shifts in the 135i and to me that says quite a lot lol. What power levels were you at with the GLI's?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #25
jtgarrett
Rep

Also, just want to thank everybody for chiming in and spreading the knowledge!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #26
Newguy123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Nissan Titan

n54 you can swoop up for pretty cheap now a days considering how easy it is to make 400whp.... i know a guy that made 419whp with just a jb4 and some e85 mixed in on map 5 all else stock....IMPRESSIVE! with that said i have a n55 dct and have always been a m/t guy with cars. no regrets dct is soo butter smooth, sounds awesome when using paddle shifters in manual mode and is easy in traffic. make sure you do get one that can be flashed march 2012 i believe is the last month that they are flash-able. keep that in mind bc if you get one any newer you may have slipping issues that cannot be fixed via flash b/c they CANNOT be flashed. make 380whp pretty easily on stock turbo
Fuel-It! direct port meth injection
check out my youtube channel here
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #27
jtgarrett
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123 View Post
n54 you can swoop up for pretty cheap now a days considering how easy it is to make 400whp.... i know a guy that made 419whp with just a jb4 and some e85 mixed in on map 5 all else stock....IMPRESSIVE! with that said i have a n55 dct and have always been a m/t guy with cars. no regrets dct is soo butter smooth, sounds awesome when using paddle shifters in manual mode and is easy in traffic. make sure you do get one that can be flashed march 2012 i believe is the last month that they are flash-able. keep that in mind bc if you get one any newer you may have slipping issues that cannot be fixed via flash b/c they CANNOT be flashed. make 380whp pretty easily on stock turbo
Lol that's insane! Pretty much stock with E85... I'm dead set on the N55 DCT though. If (and probably when) the time comes that I do want a turbo upgrade, I'm sure there are clutch packs that can handle moar horsepowers. So far I've only found 2011's within my price range (25k) with lower miles so should be good there yeah? And what is this flash I keep hearing about?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #28
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgarrett View Post
Nice nice! How much TQ did you put down?
427ft lbs DynoJet numbers.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 07:01 AM   #29
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

I would read this thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ght=DCT+torque

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 07:06 AM   #30
dg108
Enlisted Member
Rep

Very nice man! What gen were they? And yes noticeably quicker shifts in the 135i and to me that says quite a lot lol. What power levels were you at with the GLI's?[/QUOTE]

I think both Gen. 4 for Jetta (2006 and 2008). Both just runnning Stage 1 (APR then Revo). i also drove a new GTI and S3 before buying the 135i. I found that the new DSG is definitely more refined but even on the S3 you still can't get that immediate power out of the 2.0T with the DSG like the 135 has.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 07:08 AM   #31
dg108
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newguy123 View Post
Also keep in mind that if you want Cobb AP as an option there is a similiar build date cutoff. If you can find a 2011 you are safe.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 07:41 PM   #32
jtgarrett
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Very nice man! What gen were they? And yes noticeably quicker shifts in the 135i and to me that says quite a lot lol. What power levels were you at with the GLI's?
I think both Gen. 4 for Jetta (2006 and 2008). Both just runnning Stage 1 (APR then Revo). i also drove a new GTI and S3 before buying the 135i. I found that the new DSG is definitely more refined but even on the S3 you still can't get that immediate power out of the 2.0T with the DSG like the 135 has.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Also keep in mind that if you want Cobb AP as an option there is a similiar build date cutoff. If you can find a 2011 you are safe.
Nice man! 2011 is what I'm hoping for but I've only found a couple that are within my price range with lower mileage and they are a long ways away lol. Haven't had any interest on my car yet so I guess I still have time. Starting to reconsider the N54's because of the availability. I think I'll post up and see if anyone is selling theirs closer to my location
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #33
feignaw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Have you seen this one?
http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/5013370290.html
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 07:36 AM   #34
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
Lol.

I'm just fucking with you man. I wouldn't get a 128 if you held my mom hostage. As others have said, if it's not important (and I mean really important) for you to have a 6 speed, then you'll be very happy with the DCT. Bmw dct has made quite a few converts from people who otherwise used to swear by manual trans. That said, you'll be getting an n55 car, and it's just a shade more difficult to make power than with the n54 cars. Check out posts from "loesch" on this forum. He is n55 dct with pure turbo upgrade and he is making the kind of power you're talking about. Most n55 fbo cars make under 400whp. Be advised I think you will also need a flash, since the torque values reported to the dct need to be accurate to apply the correct clamping force.
Just a small correction. I actually have a 6 MT. I was thinking about the DCT but I'm glad I went with the stick. Sooner or later I'll be upgrading stuff to the point where a DCT wouldn't be able to handle it. With the 6 speed I can just keep upgrading the clutch which is way cheaper than getting a DCT built.

If you do get a DCT car, make absolutely certain you get a 2011 or early 2012 so that you can flash the ECU with a Cobb. That's what people are doing to avoid slip on anything around 450wtq+. Basically they are telling the ECU that the boost targets and load are higher at any given RPM so the clutches hold better. The JB4 alone is just fooling the ECU so the trans doesn't know to change the camping force.
2011 135i M Sport 6MT LeMans Blue | Active Autowerke Gen II axle back | Berk d******* | N54 gutted mids | FuelIt Walbro 450 fuel pump | Pure Turbos Stage 2 | 3.5bar TMAP | Pure Turbos inlet pipe | BMS intake | BMS oil catch can | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | BMS JB4 w/ ISO firmware | BMS backend flash stacked on PPK | Eibach springs | Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts | cosmetic tidbits
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #35
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by loesch View Post
Just a small correction. I actually have a 6 MT. I was thinking about the DCT but I'm glad I went with the stick. Sooner or later I'll be upgrading stuff to the point where a DCT wouldn't be able to handle it. With the 6 speed I can just keep upgrading the clutch which is way cheaper than getting a DCT built.

If you do get a DCT car, make absolutely certain you get a 2011 or early 2012 so that you can flash the ECU with a Cobb. That's what people are doing to avoid slip on anything around 450wtq+. Basically they are telling the ECU that the boost targets and load are higher at any given RPM so the clutches hold better. The JB4 alone is just fooling the ECU so the trans doesn't know to change the camping force.
My bad homes, I thought you haz DCT.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #36
jtgarrett
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feignaw View Post
Yeah I actually emailed him the other day but no response yet. I'd really prefer to find one with 30-40k miles but we'll see

Quote:

I'm actually starting to lean towards a 6speed N54 more and more every day. Just gotta find one with low enough miles. Are there any interior differences between the 2008-2012's? They look identical to me
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #37
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I actually emailed him the other day but no response yet. I'd really prefer to find one with 30-40k miles but we'll see

I'm actually starting to lean towards a 6speed N54 more and more every day. Just gotta find one with low enough miles. Are there any interior differences between the 2008-2012's? They look identical to me
In 2011 the cover over the storage compartment in front of the cup holders was removed along with the smokers package option. Also for a short period in early 2011 cars there was a horrible base sound system. If you get one you can get an upgrade from Alpine to give you tweeters and better mids. In 2012 they got 2 tone interior colors.

Other than that the 6MT was updated in 2011 to use the new tranny developed for the 1M. Basically a slightly shorter throw shifter. Some suspension updates. Different side mirrors in 2011. The eyebrow addition to the front lights and LCI tail lights in 2012.
2011 135i M Sport 6MT LeMans Blue | Active Autowerke Gen II axle back | Berk d******* | N54 gutted mids | FuelIt Walbro 450 fuel pump | Pure Turbos Stage 2 | 3.5bar TMAP | Pure Turbos inlet pipe | BMS intake | BMS oil catch can | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | BMS JB4 w/ ISO firmware | BMS backend flash stacked on PPK | Eibach springs | Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts | cosmetic tidbits
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #38
jtgarrett
Rep

Quote:
In 2011 the cover over the storage compartment in front of the cup holders was removed along with the smokers package option. Also for a short period in early 2011 cars there was a horrible base sound system. If you get one you can get an upgrade from Alpine to give you tweeters and better mids. In 2012 they got 2 tone interior colors.

Other than that the 6MT was updated in 2011 to use the new tranny developed for the 1M. Basically a slightly shorter throw shifter. Some suspension updates. Different side mirrors in 2011. The eyebrow addition to the front lights and LCI tail lights in 2012.
Nice so not too much. This guy from Craigslist finally got back to me but still waiting to see if he's willing to drive down here to meet at my bank. They require the title be present before handing the monies over. I also have a guy interested in my car and should be talking to his bank today so hopefully that goes well. I thought they used the N54 transmission on the 1m's? Maybe it's just the motor.. Anyways check this out, this is the one I'm looking at right now. Another member sent me the link. Lmk what you think of it
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #39
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Think you forgot to post the link.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #40
jtgarrett
Rep

Quote:
Think you forgot to post the link.
Haha..... oops

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/5013370290.html
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #41
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Haha. That person doesnt know a Damn thing about their car. You can probably tell them it has a fake blinker fluid reservoir so they'll have to take $5,000 off the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #42
jtgarrett
Rep

Quote:
Haha. That person doesnt know a Damn thing about their car. You can probably tell them it has a fake blinker fluid reservoir so they'll have to take $5,000 off the price.
Lol why do you say that? I am curious if he has upgraded things like the tune, brakes, LSD, etc., that don't normally come on the M sport. Do elaborate lol
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 07:08 PM   #43
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Lol why do you say that? I am curious if he has upgraded things like the tune, brakes, LSD, etc., that don't normally come on the M sport. Do elaborate lol
I'm sorry. I didn't read that correctly at all. Haha. I thought he was saying it came with a special tune and M3 brakes from the factory. I see now that those things were added later. I thought the M3 brakes were 4 piston though?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #44
jtgarrett
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry. I didn't read that correctly at all. Haha. I thought he was saying it came with a special tune and M3 brakes from the factory. I see now that those things were added later. I thought the M3 brakes were 4 piston though?
No clue on the brakes man lol but yeah everything sounds pretty legit to me. Mileage is a little higher than I would like but not terrible. It would definitely be a plus if those are in fact package upgrades that he purchased. Sent him one last email so if he doesn't respond it's on to the next
Appreciate 0