BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-24-2015, 12:37 PM   #1
aloksatoor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Carrera S PDK

Aftermarket chargepipe question

I had a question about the chargepipe. The claims that it holds boost better and increases response are they true? At one end the tubing coming from the IC is plastic so of course that plastic is going to give and the aluminum CP is not going to work correct?

Are people just upgrading it for bling/noise or is it for reliability? With the aluminum CP the next weak link would be the plastic tubing from Intercooler to CP correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

The stock CPs like to pop off under boost. Even stock levels of boost can do it.

Most aftermarket charge pipes are 3", this is due to the bend right before the throttle body. Upping the diameter helps reduce resistance and turbulence due to the bend. Otherwise, it's best to keep all hot side piping as small as possible without introducing turbulence.
      05-24-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
I had a question about the chargepipe. The claims that it holds boost better and increases response are they true? At one end the tubing coming from the IC is plastic so of course that plastic is going to give and the aluminum CP is not going to work correct?

Are people just upgrading it for bling/noise or is it for reliability? With the aluminum CP the next weak link would be the plastic tubing from Intercooler to CP correct?
No.

The part that commonly fails is the part nearer to the throttle body, near the C-Clip, where the most resistance occurs.

I upgraded mine just because of the bling. I got a chrome CAI and a cusco strut tower bar with yellow plug wires, too. I know it's a coil pack ignition, but I like the way plug wires look.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #4
Sasha4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 1 Series Sport

Trust me - when they fail- they explode off the throttle body and your lucky if you can find the C-Clip. Its better to replace them before they get that way. I was running a Stage 1 aggressive Cobb OTS tune when it failed at 54K
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post

Yes it is true that stock will fail.
Upgrading the charge pipe to a good aftermarket option will prevent that from happening.
If you are looking for a better sound, get a BOV. If you are only looking for reliability get charge pipe with OE DV

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0