BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #45
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Ouch and more OUCH... was this a reputable source? I can hardly believe this is even remotely close to accurate.. 80% being replaced, since there hasnt been a recall, means 80% of these cars sold have had major problems.. What doesnt compute is that the Consumer Reports april car issue reports that owners of the 135i, for instance, are extremely satisifed with their purchase.. They rate them with a closed orange donut, which is the highest rating a car can get... The definition of satisfaction is, 'would you buy this car again'... It seems strange that with so many (80%) failures, these same owners would be so ethusiastically excited to run right out and buy another...
The two people I talked to who have had HPFP replacements on the 135s don't see it as a big deal. They took the car in, got a replacement under warranty and continue to love their cars. Both are near 30k miles and have only had to replace the pump once. I can see why people would mark the "would buy again" box.
      08-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #46
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

I see... I guess it doesnt always have to happen 200 miles from home when youre going to some important appointment or something..... Do you know what years their 135s were?
      08-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #47
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Both are '09s.

Also, from what I've been reading, people are getting symptoms days/weeks ahead of the HPFP completely failing so the car is still drivable until you make an appointment and drop it off at the dealership. It won't happen suddenly and leave you stranded.
      08-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #48
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
Both are '09s.

Also, from what I've been reading, people are getting symptoms days/weeks ahead of the HPFP completely failing so the car is still drivable until you make an appointment and drop it off at the dealership. It won't happen suddenly and leave you stranded.
Not in the case of my '09. Mine had long cranks in the morning and it completely died in the afternoon... so there were only 3 hrs (and 3 long cranks) in between. Maybe it was because that happened on the coldest day (-20C) in the winter. So my experience was scary...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #49
schmeah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

TrackRat! Dude, where you been? Got yourself unbanned because an N55 pump finally failed? Excellent! How was it for you?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #50
Itanius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver

Yikes, and I was kind of contemplating a trade-up to a 2011 135 or 335. Not anymore!
      09-22-2010, 12:34 AM   #51
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i sold / 08 E90 M3 sold

So as I got my recall issues fixed with my 135, I asked my SA regarding the fuel pump issues. He told me that they have a fix which took a long time to come by and will begin recalling fuel pumps in batches. I asked him when they figured out a solid solution for the fuel pump and he told me 2 months ago. It had something to do with the original fuel pump maker doing a crappy job and when BMW tried to find out what had happened, the company had jumped ship leaving BMW with a crappy fuel pump and no solution. He gave me more details, but that is the gist of it. Also, the recall will be in batches due to the # of fuel pumps which need to be replaced. Maybe he is referring to the 402 HPFP? IDK. This was just last week when I spoke with him. Truth to the story; possibly? Regardless.... all we can do is wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #52
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emac08 View Post
So as I got my recall issues fixed with my 135, I asked my SA regarding the fuel pump issues. He told me that they have a fix which took a long time to come by and will begin recalling fuel pumps in batches. I asked him when they figured out a solid solution for the fuel pump and he told me 2 months ago. It had something to do with the original fuel pump maker doing a crappy job and when BMW tried to find out what had happened, the company had jumped ship leaving BMW with a crappy fuel pump and no solution. He gave me more details, but that is the gist of it. Also, the recall will be in batches due to the # of fuel pumps which need to be replaced. Maybe he is referring to the 402 HPFP? IDK. This was just last week when I spoke with him. Truth to the story; possibly? Regardless.... all we can do is wait.
This is a national level BMW recall, not a local dealer recall? If they have a fix, my car goes into production this week.. I wonder if theyll install it!!

Last edited by boostm3; 09-22-2010 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #53
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i sold / 08 E90 M3 sold

Quote:
This is a national level BMW recall, not a local dealer recall? If they have a fix, my car goes into production this week.. I wonder if theyll install it!!
national level which should be affecting all 135's, 335's, 535's, and x6? or x5? basically all of the bmw cars which share the same engine build. correct me on the car makes if im wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 07:39 PM   #54
Mr. Clarkson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
My 135i hasn't arrived yet, but when it does I hope to go through at least three HPFPs, and hopefully at least 1 reach around from BMW in the process

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #55
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

No issues from mine yet, but it was naive to think that the N55 would solve it all, given that the HPFP was the same as in the N54. It was a good opportunity to have some enhancements that would be an incremental benefit, and that was my logic in getting my 2011...

I hope to never have an issue, and I do actively use fuel adds and optimize my fuel and oil chemisries as best as I can. Maybe it will help, maybe it will not - time will be the only teller.

But no need to laugh - everyone ALWAYS was in the same boat. Even if there was a perception of something else. It is in BMW's best interest to make this a fun, efficient, reliable engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:49 PM   #56
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by emac08 View Post
You are the second person who has had their dealer tell you this.
I believe I was the first.
My tech told me this same thing back in May '10.
But, he claimed that the pump had already been made by then.
Your dealer says "2 months ago", so that's different.

The rest is about the same. This will NOT be a "safety recall" issued traditionally by the NHTSA. It is a BMW internal "recall", and they will be notifying owners in "batches".

I do hope this finally comes to fruition.
I've got nearly 12k miles on my '09 135i, and I have not had a failure.
But, that doesn't mean I will never have one, nor does it mean I will.
Still, if BMW has a pump that they KNOW will not fail, or at least not at this level, then I WANT it.
I also want a proper software update!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #57
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
No issues from mine yet, but it was naive to think that the N55 would solve it all, given that the HPFP was the same as in the N54. It was a good opportunity to have some enhancements that would be an incremental benefit, and that was my logic in getting my 2011...

I hope to never have an issue, and I do actively use fuel adds and optimize my fuel and oil chemisries as best as I can. Maybe it will help, maybe it will not - time will be the only teller.

But no need to laugh - everyone ALWAYS was in the same boat. Even if there was a perception of something else. It is in BMW's best interest to make this a fun, efficient, reliable engine.
Also, I'd say that those who thought the N55 was in response to the HPFP failure, can now stop saying this.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #58
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Also, I'd say that those who thought the N55 was in response to the HPFP failure, can now stop saying this.
Not necessarily.. The N55 could have been a partial response to the HPFP failure issue; a failed response. I doubt it was the primary reason for the N55, as I think economy had alot to do with it, but just because an item fails doesnt necessarily mean what you say. Only if you had adequate numbers and length of time to judge, might you begin to try and make a determination.. And lastly, result is a poor indicator of intent.
      09-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #59
Timberwolf
Captain
Rep
Drives: People crazy

I just got my car back from an effin HPFP

This is the nail in the coffin for me. These guys are ignorant morons who are incapable of engineering beyond a certain point. I went through this shite with my E36s and subframes, then water pumps... It never ends!!

DONE. If it weren't a lease, it would be gone already
      09-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #60
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Not necessarily.. The N55 could have been a partial response to the HPFP failure issue; a failed response. I doubt it was the primary reason for the N55, as I think economy had alot to do with it, but just because an item fails doesnt necessarily mean what you say. Only if you had adequate numbers and length of time to judge, might you begin to try and make a determination.. And lastly, result is a poor indicator of intent.
Given how long it takes to develop a brand new engine, it's not likely the N55 was in any way a response to the HPFP issue.
Plus, the fact that they used the same pump speaks more to a bad decision on the fuel system parts.
If there were any intent to develop a new engine to combat a poorly designed part or system, one wouldn't then use a same or similar part in the new engine.

It's quite likely the N55 project was given the green light before the full extent of the HPFP issue was know. By that point they/BMW probably had to go with what they had already designed. Yes, in retrospect, it is a bad decision, but it also shows that the N55 wasn't in response to a known bad part or system.
For me, IMO, I don't see how the new engine is in any way an attempt to fix the N54 HPFP issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #61
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Given how long it takes to develop a brand new engine, it's not likely the N55 was in any way a response to the HPFP issue.
Plus, the fact that they used the same pump speaks more to a bad decision on the fuel system parts.
If there were any intent to develop a new engine to combat a poorly designed part or system, one wouldn't then use a same or similar part in the new engine.

It's quite likely the N55 project was given the green light before the full extent of the HPFP issue was know. By that point they/BMW probably had to go with what they had already designed. Yes, in retrospect, it is a bad decision, but it also shows that the N55 wasn't in response to a known bad part or system.
For me, IMO, I don't see how the new engine is in any way an attempt to fix the N54 HPFP issue.
You are probably right.. I was just saying that simply because one N55 has now been reported to have a faulty fuel pump is not, in itself, probative evidence that there is no linkage between the HPFP issue and the development of the N55 engine..
      09-24-2010, 10:09 PM   #62
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

What I'd like to know (especially since I just ordered one) is for the N55 pumps that have failed, which pump did they have?

Supposedly the new "402" pump is supposed to fix the problem (not holding my breath), so it would be useful to know when/if these pumps start failing. But of the 2 N55 failures I've seen posted about, I haven't seen it said what the failed pump was.

I will not have HPFP issues. I will not have HPFP issues. I will not have HPFP issues....
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #63
JHZR2
Major
Rep
Drives: 91 E30, 11 135i cv

good point, is it easy to look at it from some angle on the car and see a p/n?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 11:04 AM   #64
Frustration
enter macho title here...
Rep
Drives: X3 / 335cp / 135 vert-135vert2

nobody has had a 402 failure. (at least not in any of the 3 forums I hit)

I posted a poll a while back asking (as I was about to get a replacement on an 08 135) and nobody that's had the 402 has gone back for another and several have several thousand miles on them now. Three dealers here have put several in and none have come back...

And if you read through this post, the problem suggested at the start was another N54.... so far there is the suggestion of a single N55 failure on another forum... personally I look for better feedback than that before I start chirping like a school girl.

Frankly, people with N54's should stay the f*** out of this thread and post problems in one of the bazillion n54 threads.

That's the only way to keep any relative track.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #65
gnat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Wishing for an e30iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustration View Post
nobody has had a 402 failure. (at least not in any of the 3 forums I hit)
Supposedly some N55s are being built with the 402, so it is important (I think) for N55 failures to report which pump failed on them.

The 402 could solve the issue, but believing it does could have the same result as believing the N55 fixed the issue.

Quote:
I posted a poll a while back asking (as I was about to get a replacement on an 08 135) and nobody that's had the 402 has gone back for another and several have several thousand miles on them now. Three dealers here have put several in and none have come back...
My understanding is that the 402 only came out in July. Have I misunderstood it's age? If I am correct on it's release, then that isn't much time to make such assumptions in my opinion. We know with the older pumps that some people can't seem to go 10 feet while others go years and tens of thousands of miles before a failure, so why should we believe the 402 will be any different (if it does not indeed solve the issue).

Quote:
And if you read through this post, the problem suggested at the start was another N54.... so far there is the suggestion of a single N55 failure on another forum... personally I look for better feedback than that before I start chirping like a school girl.
The links in posts #1 and #51 of this thread both point to threads about N55s with bad HPFPs, not N54s. I will agree that 2 isn't statistically relevant compared to the number of failures reported against the N54, but it suggests that (at least at the time some N55s were assembled) that BMW still hasn't corrected the problem.

This is why I think it is important to know which pump is being replaced on the N55.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #66
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
no sticky? this could be an important thread to potential buyers of n55 equipped 135i's. jus' sayin'
Appreciate 0