BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #111
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
Got the magazine yesterday in the mail and loved the article, I won't lie it has given me doubts about turning in my 1er at the end of lease.

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving."
Signature worthy quote

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #112
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I think you can swap it out later if you wanted. I recall seeing a DIY thread about it at one point.
I looked at that a while back -- I'm not one to rip stuff apart, so I'll leave it alone and just start smoking cigars in my new taupe interior. BMW said I had to.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #113
Qunadry
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

First Consumer Reports, now Road & Track. It is about time our 135's got some respect.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #114
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
I truly appreciate the brutal honesty of this article. In the current era of media coziness with their subjects and constant advertising revenue pressures, I'm pleasantly surprised to see R&T drop BMW to the mat in this fashion. It's direct but completely fair.

I am profoundly disappointed with the F30 and I can't reasonably be accused of slagging the latest 3 Series just because it's new and I have an old one. I still have my E92 and my wife has an F30. We both regret getting the F30 (long story) but it only has two more years left on the lease and, while it's no fun at all, it's not exactly waterboarding either so what's done is done.

This article really nails all the issues: the F30 is soft, floppy, dull, lifeless, overwhelmed with technology and eco-garbage and, perhaps most importantly, it no longer differentiates itself from the many cars that have been gunning for the 3 Series for years on end.

When I bought my current 335i, I test drove an A4 and A5 among other cars. They felt like slightly upscale Accords to me -- toy-like steering feel, no "spark" in the chassis, nothing that reminded me that I was in a supposed German sports sedan or coupe. I think we can all see how Audi has been chasing BMW and making great strides -- many people think the A6 is a better overall car than the 5 Series -- but as much as Audi deserves some credit, BMW deserves even more blame. I would have never guessed that the F30 would drive more like the now ancient A4 than the E9X, but that's my experience. It feels like regression and it came as a total surprise to me.

I was talking this over with my wife and she asked the obvious question: "If people like you no longer like new BMWs, aren't they worried about losing their base?" As much as I wish BMW really cared about enthusiasts first, I'm not dumb and I do understand the new "luxury for every niche" business model. BMW built their brand around people like me, but now it's so much bigger than people like me. BMW has the badge and they can sell it attached to just about anything no matter how it drives.

Consider: just 10 years ago, BMW's U.S. line-up (sans M cars) consisted solely of the 3, 5, 7, the recently introduced X5 and the Z3 -- unless I missed something, I believe that was it! Today, there's the 1, 3, 3GT (coming soon), 5, 5GT, 6, 6 Gran Coupe, 7, X1, X3, X5 and Z4. And there's talk of several more variants that will split hairs further, plus the "i" line of eco-cars in the pipeline. But will they leave room for a relatively light, simple car like the current 1 that prioritizes driving pleasure above gadgets and fuel economy? Unlikely.

Die hard last model year E82/E88 buyers like us (my 128i is on order) are a blip on the map, but at least we still have the opportunity to take one last ride into the BMW sunset. I'm excited for the new car, but I'm almost equally bummed that BMW is no longer making new cars that appeal to me because they were the last hold-out in their respective market. 5 years from now, I may be looking for a car again, and it will probably be a struggle to find a car that I like better than the current 1 -- that was never a concern before BMW's current direction.

I'm sure BMW will continue to thrive economically, but subjectively -- especially from an enthusiast's point of view -- I believe they're losing the plot. I can't say whether that will eventually dilute the mighty BMW brand and cause them to become reflective about their change in direction, but if so, I hope someone back at HQ digs up this article and reads it over and over until it sinks in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
Very well written but also saddening because:

A) It's true
B) I've only just started my love affair with the brand which now seems like it's over.

I'm in my mid-20's now and it all started with love for the E46 330Ci (ZHP) back in around 2005 when I was old enough to start caring about driving. I was still in school, just passed my test and was driving a run-around...well an old Euro hot hatch to be exact but I always aspired to own that 330 which my little beater couldn't compete with, financially of course it was just not possible. A work colleague bought a 2002 330Ci (pre-LCI) in around 2006 and I was jealous beyond belief, he was of course receiving all kinds of underhand remarks regarding his young age and such a car but in truth he was earning well and paying for it on his own (paying a lot). It sounded beautiful, drove and handled fantastically and really reminded me of my Dad's old business owned E36 328i (although a little dumbed down in comparison to) which I remember having a lot of fun in as a passenger; the ultimate driving machine it was, aside from the M3 of that period which I also hear was a dumbed down successor to the E30 (which is perhaps a bit before me).

It was a kick up the butt for me and I knuckled down at studies/work and passed my time car-wise up until 2011 through the tuner scene (yes, I did the Honda thing) and VW scene where after a period of working until my knuckles bled I decided to assess financially the viability of dropping so much cash on a car. I loved my old cars but every time a stock 3er would drive by I couldn't shake wanting one.
I worked damn hard to get to my goal and I made it, proudly, and although a brand new car was still perhaps a little out of reach, 2-3yr old models were within in budget which was good enough for me, especially weighing up that fact that I didn't take the initial hit on depreciation.

At this point the E46 had gone out of production and initially I had hated the E90/E92, the E46 had my heart but as things do they take time to grow on you. I rearched a little into the 'new age' engines and found the little gem which was the N54; coming from a tuner background I knew I'd find it hard to resist the urge and needed something tuneable, I felt like I would grow tired of thr E46 too quickly so the N54 quickly became top dog and I purchased a 335i M-Sport which looked fantastic, drew looks and nasty comments also but in all honestly I felt disappointed, disappointed in the step down in driver enjoyment in comparison to that E46 I had a chance to drive and fall in love with, it was plainly just a cruiser which needed some work to bring to life. I lived with it for a while and had many a modification planned as many of the E90 guys over here have done but I was talking serious money to get the car where I felt it needed to be brake, suspension and power wise.

The old ZHP crept back into my head, it still looked fresh (still does today) so I started sniffing sround when this odd little car called a 135i popped up. I naturally assume that the 35i badge meant it included an epic engine and indeed it did as well as including the brakes and handling characterics I wanted from the E90 but out of the box. So here I am, a 135i owner which is a close as I have been to that old E36 328i and here is where I'll stay. I feel that the next step 'forward' will be the 1M or V8 M3 but I don't anticipate much after; I hold hope for the M4 but price wise it'll take a few more years of blood and sweat to justify that expense.

So, kids like I was, maybe they're working today towards owning their E82 some day and they won't regret it one bit but in the future? I just don't think that a BMW is going to appeal to the 'driver's' of this world for much longer, and that's sad.

Hopefully the upcoming M235 and M2 coupes will still have some of that old driver's car magic that older BMW's are known for. If not, there is always the option of buying used BMW's. A 1M owner recently posted about picking up an E46 330 sedan with the ZHP package. The car was immaculate with only 52,000 miles on it, so there are some used gems out there. I still keep pondering the idea of picking up a used Z4 M Coupe or E39 M5.
      04-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #115
E90ab335i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Silver E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy
Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
I truly appreciate the brutal honesty of this article. In the current era of media coziness with their subjects and constant advertising revenue pressures, I'm pleasantly surprised to see R&T drop BMW to the mat in this fashion. It's direct but completely fair.

I am profoundly disappointed with the F30 and I can't reasonably be accused of slagging the latest 3 Series just because it's new and I have an old one. I still have my E92 and my wife has an F30. We both regret getting the F30 (long story) but it only has two more years left on the lease and, while it's no fun at all, it's not exactly waterboarding either so what's done is done.

This article really nails all the issues: the F30 is soft, floppy, dull, lifeless, overwhelmed with technology and eco-garbage and, perhaps most importantly, it no longer differentiates itself from the many cars that have been gunning for the 3 Series for years on end.

When I bought my current 335i, I test drove an A4 and A5 among other cars. They felt like slightly upscale Accords to me -- toy-like steering feel, no "spark" in the chassis, nothing that reminded me that I was in a supposed German sports sedan or coupe. I think we can all see how Audi has been chasing BMW and making great strides -- many people think the A6 is a better overall car than the 5 Series -- but as much as Audi deserves some credit, BMW deserves even more blame. I would have never guessed that the F30 would drive more like the now ancient A4 than the E9X, but that's my experience. It feels like regression and it came as a total surprise to me.

I was talking this over with my wife and she asked the obvious question: "If people like you no longer like new BMWs, aren't they worried about losing their base?" As much as I wish BMW really cared about enthusiasts first, I'm not dumb and I do understand the new "luxury for every niche" business model. BMW built their brand around people like me, but now it's so much bigger than people like me. BMW has the badge and they can sell it attached to just about anything no matter how it drives.

Consider: just 10 years ago, BMW's U.S. line-up (sans M cars) consisted solely of the 3, 5, 7, the recently introduced X5 and the Z3 -- unless I missed something, I believe that was it! Today, there's the 1, 3, 3GT (coming soon), 5, 5GT, 6, 6 Gran Coupe, 7, X1, X3, X5 and Z4. And there's talk of several more variants that will split hairs further, plus the "i" line of eco-cars in the pipeline. But will they leave room for a relatively light, simple car like the current 1 that prioritizes driving pleasure above gadgets and fuel economy? Unlikely.

Die hard last model year E82/E88 buyers like us (my 128i is on order) are a blip on the map, but at least we still have the opportunity to take one last ride into the BMW sunset. I'm excited for the new car, but I'm almost equally bummed that BMW is no longer making new cars that appeal to me because they were the last hold-out in their respective market. 5 years from now, I may be looking for a car again, and it will probably be a struggle to find a car that I like better than the current 1 -- that was never a concern before BMW's current direction.

I'm sure BMW will continue to thrive economically, but subjectively -- especially from an enthusiast's point of view -- I believe they're losing the plot. I can't say whether that will eventually dilute the mighty BMW brand and cause them to become reflective about their change in direction, but if so, I hope someone back at HQ digs up this article and reads it over and over until it sinks in.
Very well written but also saddening because:

A) It's true
B) I've only just started my love affair with the brand which now seems like it's over.

I'm in my mid-20's now and it all started with love for the E46 330Ci (ZHP) back in around 2005 when I was old enough to start caring about driving. I was still in school, just passed my test and was driving a run-around...well an old Euro hot hatch to be exact but I always aspired to own that 330 which my little beater couldn't compete with, financially of course it was just not possible. A work colleague bought a 2002 330Ci (pre-LCI) in around 2006 and I was jealous beyond belief, he was of course receiving all kinds of underhand remarks regarding his young age and such a car but in truth he was earning well and paying for it on his own (paying a lot). It sounded beautiful, drove and handled fantastically and really reminded me of my Dad's old business owned E36 328i (although a little dumbed down in comparison to) which I remember having a lot of fun in as a passenger; the ultimate driving machine it was, aside from the M3 of that period which I also hear was a dumbed down successor to the E30 (which is perhaps a bit before me).

It was a kick up the butt for me and I knuckled down at studies/work and passed my time car-wise up until 2011 through the tuner scene (yes, I did the Honda thing) and VW scene where after a period of working until my knuckles bled I decided to assess financially the viability of dropping so much cash on a car. I loved my old cars but every time a stock 3er would drive by I couldn't shake wanting one.
I worked damn hard to get to my goal and I made it, proudly, and although a brand new car was still perhaps a little out of reach, 2-3yr old models were within in budget which was good enough for me, especially weighing up that fact that I didn't take the initial hit on depreciation.

At this point the E46 had gone out of production and initially I had hated the E90/E92, the E46 had my heart but as things do they take time to grow on you. I rearched a little into the 'new age' engines and found the little gem which was the N54; coming from a tuner background I knew I'd find it hard to resist the urge and needed something tuneable, I felt like I would grow tired of thr E46 too quickly so the N54 quickly became top dog and I purchased a 335i M-Sport which looked fantastic, drew looks and nasty comments also but in all honestly I felt disappointed, disappointed in the step down in driver enjoyment in comparison to that E46 I had a chance to drive and fall in love with, it was plainly just a cruiser which needed some work to bring to life. I lived with it for a while and had many a modification planned as many of the E90 guys over here have done but I was talking serious money to get the car where I felt it needed to be brake, suspension and power wise.

The old ZHP crept back into my head, it still looked fresh (still does today) so I started sniffing sround when this odd little car called a 135i popped up. I naturally assume that the 35i badge meant it included an epic engine and indeed it did as well as including the brakes and handling characterics I wanted from the E90 but out of the box. So here I am, a 135i owner which is a close as I have been to that old E36 328i and here is where I'll stay. I feel that the next step 'forward' will be the 1M or V8 M3 but I don't anticipate much after; I hold hope for the M4 but price wise it'll take a few more years of blood and sweat to justify that expense.

So, kids like I was, maybe they're working today towards owning their E82 some day and they won't regret it one bit but in the future? I just don't think that a BMW is going to appeal to the 'driver's' of this world for much longer, and that's sad.
Your last paragraph made me smile. I'm currently a student at UCSB working my tail off in pursuit of one day having the pleasure of owning my desired car(s) just as you did in your earlier years. I'm currently drooling over the thought of owning a then pre-owned 981 Cayman S or maybe the rumored M2(; BMW's future is looking..... SOFT! Lets hope the M4/M2 turn out to something we're all praying for.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #116
NavyChop93
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is Convertible

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert
Great review by R&T. This is exactly how I feel every time I get into this car. It's not perfect but it' a great drivers car.
Exactly, 500 miles in and I'm loving my 135is...I can't wait to hear the PE at full song when I can finally drive my car the way she was meant to be driven!

This car purchase was all about buying a driver's car. Nice to see what so many of us feel validated by R&T. While I may augment my stable with something else 5-10 years from now, not quite sure if I'll ever part with my 135is vert.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #117
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hopefully the upcoming M235 and M2 coupes will still have some of that old driver's car magic that older BMW's are known for. If not, there is always the option of buying used BMW's. A 1M owner recently posted about picking up an E46 330 sedan with the ZHP package. The car was immaculate with only 52,000 miles on it, so there are some used gems out there. I still keep pondering the idea of picking up a used Z4 M Coupe or E39 M5.
I was in my buddies E39 M5 the other day. 2002. Has 100K on it. Still looks and rides amazingly. Those cars are timeless. That's why I'd love a 1M. Gets back to the feel of an e46 which is arguably the best M car ever made.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #118
tyler9595
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgalanda View Post
I dont understand how can anybody say f30 is not a good car, or not drivers car. I had e46 e90 and now very satisfied owner of f30. I agree styling, cruise control, and few little details could be better, BUT f30 is better car overall. To me e46 was the most beautiful exterior and i loved the dashboard tilted towards driver. E90 was more modern, drove better, I loved the handling on it and circled angel eyes I didnt like the f30 for the first few days. It feels a little cheaper as far as materials. But i realized its 21st century and we need to make lighter cars and manufacturing changing. The engine in 328i is amazing. Anybody who drives with me compliments it and its transmission. I cant say I like steering on comfort, but then again I change to sport and car literally change to a beast! This car has it all. Not even talking about gas mileage. I went from 16 to 22mpg. It is supposed to be a daily driver, not a track car. I dont think I would consider different car. Well, I would, I want e36 m3, e46 m3 e92 m3 and f80 m3 haha ... Now to this thread main point. I drove that 135is and I was scared of myself what would I do with it. Its simply rocket glued to the road ! I love every single BMW ever made! Okay, okay. except 5 GT.
Well said. I've owned e39, e46 and 2 e90's...loved them all. E90's were my faves so far.

BTW, I have a carbon black 135is on order and will be at the port on TUESDAY!!!!
Previous - 2010 e90 335i (N54) - BSM, 6AT, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Hi-Fi, Nav, BMW PPK & PE, Dinan S2
Previous - 2007 e90 335i (N54) - BSM, 6AT, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Hi-Fi
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #119
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Quoted for truth. Interestingly, I don't think you'll find this sentiment on the other bimmerpost boards, whose member bases consist mainly of fanboys to be honest. BMW has lost it. At least, in terms of what we grew up wanting to drive.

I have never been more unimpressed with a new car than the F30. I challenge all of you to jump in the seat of an E46 M3, so that you can remember what BMWs once felt like. Driver-oriented, simultaneously raw yet refined, rock-solid interiors, etc. Actually, I want to address that interior comment. Many new buyers find the E46, E9x interiors "boring". I also find them boring but that is exactly what I want. The interiors were always intentionally made to be "boring", because they were no-nonsense, function over form, focused on driving. That cruise control stalk reference is an excellent one.

The new cars are truly terrible. You can feel the way the cars have become softer, weaker, quieter, easier to drive, more accessible. I had a 135i and I regretted that. It sounds like the 135is is a little better.. but ultimately the end of a generation.

Future F3x owners, enjoy your marketing-driven vehicles. I'll stick to the ones BMW built when they cared more about the driving experience. BMW is a shadow of its former self. The F3x is proof. If you can't see that, you need some seat time in a pre-E9x era car for contrast purposes. The F3x is about sales, nothing more. The spark is gone.

That does leave room for the competitors to move in, but they sure are taking their time.
Couldn't agree with you and Simian more. It's all over for those of us who want a proper driving experience. I had a chance to play with a manual F30 sedan the other day and it was complete junk. Steering was completely numb, the shifter and clutch felt like garbage, and the whole car seemed completely disconnected.

It's just all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvega702 View Post
Makes me want to go buy a 05 zhp w/ manual tranny and keep it forever.
Key is getting your other half to do that. My fiance has a manual Imola/Alcantara '05 ZHP sedan and I have its spiritual successor.

Last edited by TheSt|G; 04-05-2013 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #120
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Well, I can personally endorse the combination of an E39 M5 and E86 M Coupe...but I may be biased . The E39 M5 has been my DD since Dec. 2004 and I still love it. The M coupe is a different beast but pure "old school" M. I'm looking for a new DD to alternate with the M5. The 1M is fantastic, and I'm considering a used sample or a new 135is...or waiting for the M2. BMW has (in my opinion) lost its way with the larger cars but I am optimistic (particulary given the 1M) about the "smaller" cars.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 02:40 AM   #121
swiss130
Registered
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Same here. I was waiting outside the DMV before they opened on my 16th birthday. It was all about the freedom and independance with me too, which makes me wonder when exactly did the younger generation(s) stop caring about that? It's hard to believe that social networking and the latest app for your smart phone is more appealing to the younger crowd these days.
Well said. Let me add to your observation.

I'm 25 so I'm part of the generation Y aswell. I feel extremely privileged having been able/still being able to drive real driver's cars, ranging from 964 RS's to Z4M's.

Just yesterday I test-drove the M135i and - I hate to say that - it's a great car. The N55 and the 8 speed-auto work perfectly together. Subjectively I didn't feel a big difference speedwise to the DCT in the E9x M3. The ride has been improved so much over the E82 135i. The car feels well balanced and really agile.

But while driving home in my good old N54 135i I thought about the sound generator, my left foot feeling neglected and the precise and direct but blunt electric steering. I'm sure that it's faster plus easier to handle on a fast lap on the Nordschleife. But do I feel challenged? Maybe in a different way.

You see, for me it really is a love-hate relationship.

Coming back to the point you made: first of all I don't think that my generation is to blame. I might be biased but most of my 20-30 year old friends still love to shift manually and double-declutch if they have the opportunity. They adore classic driver's cars like the E30 or E46 and they dream about owning a CSL one day.

But as digital natives they're also attracted to gimmicks like the KW DDC coilovers with iPhone app or the Akrapovic WiFi exhaust kit.

And it's not only us "young" people that feel drawn to that kinda stuff; BMW produces what people demand. The current product lineup is a reflection of what people want isn't it?

I argue that BMW's demographic curve leans more toward 30+ than 25- so you guys are the target for BMW's marketing division not us (yet).

Kind regards,
Kevin
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #122
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drFUNK View Post
Makes me wish mine would come faster!

And it also makes me sad looking to the future of BMW. Some years back, one could say almost any bimmer would give you a great drive. Now, having driven a number of F30s (most recently last night on windy back roads) - and having really really wanted to like them - I couldn't help but feel disappointment. I understand why they're doing it - enthusiasts don't pay the bills, but it doesn't make it hurt less to those who love to drive.
Makes me wish I would have got a 135is isntead of my f30 335i. Everytime I speak to a 135i owner they mention the engaging fun everyday drive they experience. I wll admit I love my F30 335i but It does lack a little something. Its lost some soul to me. I hope the 2 series follows the 1 series blueprint because I will not be in another 3 series. If I dont go with M235i, It will be a used 135is.
      04-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #123
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Makes me wish I would have got a 135is isntead of my f30 335i. Everytime I speak to a 135i owner they mention the engaging fun everyday drive they experience. I wll admit I love my F30 335i but It does lack a little something. Its lost some soul to me. I hope the 2 series follows the 1 series blueprint because I will not be in another 3 series. If I dont go with M235i, It will be a used 135is.
Two series is going to be just as disengaged as the current three. EPS is already on it and the car already has that lovely speaker that plays engine noise.

It will be similar in shape only.
      04-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #124
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Couldn't agree with you and Simian more. It's all over for those of us who want a proper driving experience. I had a chance to play with a manual F30 sedan the other day and it was complete junk. Steering was completely numb, the shifter and clutch felt like garbage, and the whole car seemed completely disconnected.
YES. I think the steering is probably most easily identifiable culprit. Followed closely by clutch, shifter (Seriously wtf is going on with that shifter? Was no R&D no effort put in at all? Bring on the 8sp slushboxes?)

Too big, too soft, too many cheap materials (oh, but they cleverly wrap this up under "weight savings") and poor build quality. But, lower prices, and unbelievable sales. I never liked my 135i that much but at least it was relatively true to BMW spirit. It strayed, but was still somewhat grounded in their principles. 135is, or more accurately, the 1M marks the end of a good run.
      04-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #125
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Two series is going to be just as disengaged as the current three. EPS is already on it and the car already has that lovely speaker that plays engine noise.

Hmmmm...yeah I think disengaged is the proper word for the new cars. Thats exactly what my F30 feels like. I love the new styling and the interior is just amazing for me, but when I drive my fiance's E90, its just something about the feel of it. The E90 just feels more "tossable" if you know what I mean. It felt more nimble, like it begged to be dogged in the corners. My F30 is like yeah I can do it but....yawn...thats not for me Im too about the logo in the front and not the race heritage even though I look mean as fu#%k.

I dont know if that makes sense, but its the feeling I get.

I sooooo wish the 1M was cheaper and more affordable, that be a no brainer for me and my next choice. But 60k plus used and the prices are rising, surprise surprise, youre steady approaching a used 07 997 turbo territory...
      04-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #126
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

At least for now I have the 128i. Hydraulic power steering, ~3050-3100lbs, and with my Supersprint headers/330i intake manifold/Evolve software, ~300hp.

Just sad I have nothing else to look forward to from BMW. in 2002 I wanted one of everything they made. Now I want the 128i and that's only available for another month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
YES. I think the steering is probably most easily identifiable culprit. Followed closely by clutch, shifter (Seriously wtf is going on with that shifter? Was no R&D no effort put in at all? Bring on the 8sp slushboxes?)
I seriously think they are actively trying to screw people over on the manual transmission so we stop asking for it. The one in the F10 M5 is garbage, the 3 series is garbage, and BMW has blatantly said that we need to accept that they aren't going to offer it anymore. They are trying to make it seem worse than it is to get people to stop asking for it.

Next year when the M5 makes it Stateside, you'll be able to spec either the seven-speed dual-clutch 'box or a six-speed manual. This fact seems to irritate Biermann. "Here's the problem with the stick," Biermann tells us in a slightly annoyed tone, "only the U.S. wants it....I don't know how long we'll be able to keep doing this, but at some point, we'll just have to say 'no'
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/18/s...rned-at-bmw-m/

Last edited by TheSt|G; 04-05-2013 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #127
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

So... Having the cruise control controls on the steering wheels makes a car a "drivers car?"

lol

You still have to look down at the buttons to know which one your hitting. Mine are on my steering wheel too, but I use them so rarely, I never remember exactly how to operate them...

A car that is so fun to drive that you never want to use the cruise control sounds more like a real "drivers car."

But the 135i is certainly on my "next car" short list, and I'm trying to help a friend find one right now...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #128
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:

Key is getting your other half to do that. My fiance has a manual Imola/Alcantara '05 ZHP sedan and I have its spiritual successor.
Yea, yea, keep bragging . I miss that car! But this E82 has earned my attention for a long time. I'm not finished with ZHPs yet!

Quote:

This is what I think initially, then I remember Satch's review of the M135i. If anyone was/is in position to be a curmudgeon about a newfandangled car, it would be him. But electric steering, fake engine noise, and all, and he absolutely loves it.

The question, though, is whether it will be enough of an experience to ignore the crap you don't want. For me, doubtful.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #129
TheSt|G
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Yea, yea, keep bragging . I miss that car! But this E82 has earned my attention for a long time. I'm not finished with ZHPs yet!
She is loving it. Had an overhaul day a few months back where I installed the VANOS unit, upgraded DISA valve, and new side mirror glass. For her birthday I picked up a few random interior bits that needed replacement, It is getting even nicer than when you had it(which is saying something!). I'm thinking about surprising her with proper 3M tint as a graduation present that times rather nicely with the approaching summer months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
This is what I think initially, then I remember Satch's review of the M135i. If anyone was/is in position to be a curmudgeon about a newfandangled car, it would be him. But electric steering, fake engine noise, and all, and he absolutely loves it.

The question, though, is whether it will be enough of an experience to ignore the crap you don't want. For me, doubtful.
I've seen quite a few reviews of the M135i where the core comment is "accurate steering with zero feel".

The interior is nicer(played with one in Bermuda), but I think that is where it is going to end.
      04-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #130
stampchez
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

This article was a big part of why I decided to go back to a 135 from the F30. I didn't even know that there was an is until I read the article. I was ready to ride out the F30 until the M2 came around but that was before I drove an X5 loaner for a few days. The truck was more fun to drive than my F30. With no guarantee that BMW won't mess up the 2 series the way they messed up the 3, I wanted to get back into something that I knew was fun to drive while I could.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #131
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

Quote:
Good to know that was brought back as an option. The extra 12V outlet is always useful.
its not even an option its standard.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #132
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
She is loving it. Had an overhaul day a few months back where I installed the VANOS unit, upgraded DISA valve, and new side mirror glass. For her birthday I picked up a few random interior bits that needed replacement, It is getting even nicer than when you had it(which is saying something!). I'm thinking about surprising her with proper 3M tint as a graduation present that times rather nicely with the approaching summer months.
That is wonderful to hear!

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0