BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

Starter already gone at 34K miles

So, I just got my car back a little over a week ago from being rear ended and this week I noticed it was acting funny with starting. I put the key in and pushed the button to start the car and all the would happen was the car would sorta hum, the lights and radio would turn on but no cranking. After several tries I would be able to get it to start....it was a small annoyance.

Then yesterday, I tried to start the car and it wasn't going. I must have tried a dozen times and I finally gave up. I looked really silly I bet with the lights going on and off again and again. I called BMW road side assistance to tow it to the dealership...but before they came I tried it about a half hour later and it started no problem.

I took it home and tried to start and stop it a bunch of times and yea, no problem starting and stopping it. This morning it was no problem but I didn't want to chance it so I took it to the dealership and they said was the starter going.

At 34K, wtf?! Anyone else heard of this nonsense before?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

It can happen. Starters go from use not necessarily from mileage. If you spend a lot of short trips it could wear out. Could also just be one of the bad ones as its rare for them to go.
      02-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions
It can happen. Starters go from use not necessarily from mileage. If you spend a lot of short trips it could wear out. Could also just be one of the bad ones as its rare for them to go.
Got the car back this week. Turns out it was the starter. Now that it's been replaced the on button works great. I guess I didn't realize how long it was going for but now it seems if I just tap the button it starts right up, really responsive!

The downside is I saw if I paid for this out of pocket it would have been close to a $1000. Yikes!!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

Just an update to this...

The dealer replaced the starter a few weeks ago and then I drove it for awhile...no issues. Then all of a sudden out of nowhere it came back last week worse than ever. I had it taken to a different dealer this time...turns out it wasn't the starter at all. The ground wasn't firmly connected to the battery causing the on/off button to work intermittently and then last week not at all.

When I did a google of this ground coming loose I saw other people had this issue as well. So, before you freakout like I did...check to make sure the ground is firmly screwed into the battery.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #5
HIPSI
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Well at least you got a new/free starter!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPSI View Post
Well at least you got a new/free starter!
OR, the dealer charged for a new starter but didn't put a new in, and the intermittent ground actually fixed the real problem.

I'd have BMWNA look into this one. If the dealer did change the starter, then they misdiagnosed it and it cost BMW the cost of the starter and the labor. If they didn't change, then BMW paid the dealer for nothing, and the customer was still left stranded.

I wouldn't let the dealer get away with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
fusion01
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus ST: 2.5l /5 cyl

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
OR, the dealer charged for a new starter but didn't put a new in, and the intermittent ground actually fixed the real problem.

I'd have BMWNA look into this one. If the dealer did change the starter, then they misdiagnosed it and it cost BMW the cost of the starter and the labor. If they didn't change, then BMW paid the dealer for nothing, and the customer was still left stranded.

I wouldn't let the dealer get away with it.
+1 - as long as it's not your dealer that possibly shafted you or you'll find a spanner in your engine bay after next service
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

My starter just went at 75K. Was acting up for the past few months. Would not start in morning after a few tries. Then week swould go by with no issues. Dealer did diagnostics and starter was going.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0