BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Couple of Questions for Collinite 845 Users

I know many of you are experienced Collinite 845 users and I recently got some but have a couple of quick questions for you seasoned vets before I start in order to get the best results possible.

1. Do you use it or should you use it on the shadowline trim? I'm not sure if that trim is something I should avoid getting it on or intend to get it on so it's protected too.

2. Have any of you used it on your wheels as well? Had good results? I'd be especially interested to hear from anyone who has used it on the 313 wheels.

And 3. I imagine most people put more than one coat on? And if so, how long would you recommend letting it sit and cure before putting a second coat on. I've heard varying suggestions from 24 hours is ideal to 6 hours minimum, to 2 hours is good enough.

Any insight, advice, or tips would be greatly appreciated. I may not do it for another week or two (weather dependent), but might possibly try it out on the wheels this weekend. Thanks in advance!

R.I.P. E82
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Firstly, here is a good link to read up about the wax.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ndary-wax.html

Secondly, I don't personally recommend using it on the shadowline (just out of habit for me not waxing trim pieces), but others may have a different take on this. As for the wheels, I'm not too sure if it will last long because of the heat generated from the brakes. Not too sure if the wax has a high enough ability to resist heats. For my wheels I use poorboys wheel sealant. Works great. Others have success with the armorall wheel protectant.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
I know many of you are experienced Collinite 845 users and I recently got some but have a couple of quick questions for you seasoned vets before I start in order to get the best results possible.

1. Do you use it or should you use it on the shadowline trim? I'm not sure if that trim is something I should avoid getting it on or intend to get it on so it's protected too.

2. Have any of you used it on your wheels as well? Had good results? I'd be especially interested to hear from anyone who has used it on the 313 wheels.

And 3. I imagine most people put more than one coat on? And if so, how long would you recommend letting it sit and cure before putting a second coat on. I've heard varying suggestions from 24 hours is ideal to 6 hours minimum, to 2 hours is good enough.

Any insight, advice, or tips would be greatly appreciated. I may not do it for another week or two (weather dependent), but might possibly try it out on the wheels this weekend. Thanks in advance!

R.I.P. E82
1. I use it on the trim. Looks great and keeps it protected.
2. Yup. Works great.
3. I usually use 845 to top a sealant so one coat only. I didn't realize it had to "cure," and I've been using it for years.

Recently (after two red cars) I am liking the shinier and more plasticy finish of sealants for my space gray.

But 845 is as easy as it gets. It'll last a month or so on a car that isn't garage kept, longer if it is covered.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Thanks for your help guys. Sounds like one coat will be enough and if I want I can put something else on top of that, depending of course on how much energy I have left and how much pain my body is in at that point.

I've been using the turtle wax ice the last few years on my cars, which probably isn't as good and doesn't last all that long, but I like that you can put it on everything and anything, including headlights, chrome, trim, glass (though I don't on purpose), so I don't have to worry about getting it on things or worry about discoloration, white dusty residue, etc.

Had never heard of collinite 845 somehow until I saw mb135is comment on it a few months back so thought I'd give it a try after rave reviews. Stay tuned! Will post pics whenever I do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Only problem is it smells bad.

Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 10:08 PM   #6
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Smells bad but it's a chemical type of bad. It's manageable.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Haven't opened it yet to take a whiff. Guess there won't be a Collinite Cologne.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Great product, and apart from Menzerna Power Lock, there are few products that last this long.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Only problem is it smells bad.
Really? I love the smell of it. Goes well with the Chemical Guys Stripper Scent. LOL!

And, I use it on wheels, works very well. One of the longest lasting waxes out there.

I would give the car a coat of sealant/glaze before the wax, that is what really gives it the shine and lasting protection. Then two coats of wax. No real need to wait between coats.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #10
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Hey guys,

Think I'm going to finally use the Collinite 845 this weekend and with regards to using it on your wheels, after reading all 28 pages of comments just now on the article PJ linked me to, one of them had a link to a test by Auto Express that had Collinite 845 as the surprise highest ranked wheel wax of all the ones they tested. So, I will definitely be putting a coat on the 313s for sure, maybe even 2.

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/...heel-wax-test/
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 08:02 AM   #11
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Good to know I could help you out! Do two coats but remember to let it cure for a while. But I'm sure you read that also haha. You know more than a lot of us now.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.rodriguez View Post
Good to know I could help you out! Do two coats but remember to let it cure for a while. But I'm sure you read that also haha. You know more than a lot of us now.
That's the plan! Going to try to do two coats, including on the wheels, waiting a couple hours if I can between coats but at least waiting an hour or so (probably to relax or eat lunch or watch football). Will be a long day, but I'll post pictures and give my feedback Sunday night or Monday morning. Should be interesting and I'm excited for the backbreaking work.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Nice. Im planning on also waxing my car this weekend. I'll post photos if you can even tell the difference haha.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Nice. Im planning on also waxing my car this weekend. I'll post photos if you can even tell the difference haha.
Somehow I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference on mine either cause it's already pretty clean and only 5 months old.

Question, since my eyes can't handle reading those 28 pages of comments again, but how long do you typically wait after applying to wipe it off? Seems like everybody has their own opinions, preferences, and experiences. Of course temperature, humidity, etc. will affect it, but some say they do 2 panels then wipe off, some say they do the whole car, or wait 45 minutes.

And hopefully I can make sure I keep it thin thin thin.

I also decided that as much as I wanted that meguiar's self-cleaning bottle, can't really get it here in time, so bought this 4 ounce guy via Amazon Prime to get it here by Friday. I figure that way I have a lil more than I'd ever need to do the car and also don't have to carry a full bottle with me and lug it around as I do the car. Some apparently like to keep the small bottle in their pocket while they wax the car as the heat from their body keep it from congealing again and clumping up as they wax it. Will see how it works. For $2, why not!

http://www.amazon.com/Vestil-BTL-RC-...d_sim_indust_2
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Somehow I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference on mine either cause it's already pretty clean and only 5 months old.

Question, since my eyes can't handle reading those 28 pages of comments again, but how long do you typically wait after applying to wipe it off? Seems like everybody has their own opinions, preferences, and experiences. Of course temperature, humidity, etc. will affect it, but some say they do 2 panels then wipe off, some say they do the whole car, or wait 45 minutes.

And hopefully I can make sure I keep it thin thin thin.

I also decided that as much as I wanted that meguiar's self-cleaning bottle, can't really get it here in time, so bought this 4 ounce guy via Amazon Prime to get it here by Friday. I figure that way I have a lil more than I'd ever need to do the car and also don't have to carry a full bottle with me and lug it around as I do the car. Some apparently like to keep the small bottle in their pocket while they wax the car as the heat from their body keep it from congealing again and clumping up as they wax it. Will see how it works. For $2, why not!

http://www.amazon.com/Vestil-BTL-RC-...d_sim_indust_2
Good idea on the 4 oz. bottle. Never heard of that one but I'm sure it'll work just fine. I didn't check where you are located but try to keep it somewhere in between 55-80 F i think. Not 100% sure where that comes from but it's in my head for some reason.

Also, I do the whole car then wipe off in the same order. It works well for me. Thin is definitely key. To be honest, I've never tried with a DA but I hear you use less product and it goes on thinner. But to each its own. I just use a yellow hand applicator pad (those cheap-o pads about $2) works great for me.

I'm gonna try with the DA this weekend and see how I like it.
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Good idea on the 4 oz. bottle. Never heard of that one but I'm sure it'll work just fine. I didn't check where you are located but try to keep it somewhere in between 55-80 F i think. Not 100% sure where that comes from but it's in my head for some reason.

Also, I do the whole car then wipe off in the same order. It works well for me. Thin is definitely key. To be honest, I've never tried with a DA but I hear you use less product and it goes on thinner. But to each its own. I just use a yellow hand applicator pad (those cheap-o pads about $2) works great for me.

I'm gonna try with the DA this weekend and see how I like it.
I'm in Los Angeles, so temperature should be perfect and about 65-70. it does say like 55-80 in collinite's own literature.

I'll be doing it by hand and decided to spend $5 and try some fancy meguiar's microfiber applicators which are like big foam applicators wrapped in microfiber.

Maybe I'll split the difference and do half the car, then wipe off. I'll see what I'm in the mood for and how it's setting up and hazing.

Should be fun come Sunday and I'm sure I'll be feeling it in my body for the rest of the week after that.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Last question in case you guys get this in time before I use it Sunday morning - have you used it on the stock rear diffuser? Do you recommend applying it there or avoiding that piece altogether? I may just skip it and put 2 coats of turtle wax ice wax on there and a couple of other questionable spots since that stuff goes on everything.

My sense is opinions will differ.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #18
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Do not put it on the diffuser. Well, you can try, but there's not much point since it's plastic (with no clear coat), and it'll probably just leave a bad white haze.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #19
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Do not put it on the diffuser. Well, you can try, but there's not much point since it's plastic (with no clear coat), and it'll probably just leave a bad white haze.
Thanks. Ya, I went back and looked at their spec sheet online and it says not to use it on unpainted plastic, exactly what the beloved stock diffuser everyone loves so much is. The good news is I will be using it on the PE though. Sparkle sparkle.

Excited to try this stuff out tomorrow. I'll probably be feeling it for a week afterwards in my body, but will be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #20
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Let me know how it goes. It's -2 Celsius here so that's about 27 Fahrenheit. I don't know if I'll be able to wax today.
Appreciate 0