BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #45
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post
Sorry to sound dumb, but one would think BMW would have installed an oil catch can if it would have helped with this? Is there any other reason why BMW never installed something like this?
Slow down. We have yet to prove in a controlled test that Brand A or Brand B oil catch can eliminates the problem.
      12-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #46
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Slow down. We have yet to prove in a controlled test that Brand A or Brand B oil catch can eliminates the problem.
Don't we all agree that it helps at least to some extent though? With that in mind, I would agree with the other poster that it's a matter of cost vs benefit that BMW decided did not make catch cans worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #47
Sindarin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed P View Post
With that in mind, I would agree with the other poster that it's a matter of cost vs benefit that BMW decided did not make catch cans worth it.
I don't agree. Crankcase ventilation systems are meant for emissions purposes. Crankcase vapor contains hydrocarbons which have to be vented back into the engine to be burned, not released into the atmosphere. Just like fuel tank vapor has to be contained with the charcoal canister and burned when the engine is running.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #48
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Even with a catch can, the crankcase ventilation vapor still goes exactly where it went before, just with some/most of the oil being condensed back into liquid form, and then hopefully properly disposed of.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #49
Fed P
Private First Class
Rep

Exactly, we are not throwing it into the atmosphere with a catch can, so I don't see the logic in that argument.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #50
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

The best way to deal with CC pressure is to route it into the exhaust stream to be drawn out... but that's not exactly EPA friendly.
      07-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #51
Fraserb64
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 125i Soft top E88

Not Snake Oil (seems legit)

Just had a Terraclean and another service they offer but mention less which focuses on the induction side.

To set the context my car is remapped and no has the power at top end but was noticeably "lumpy" through the lower rev range, which showed up on the dyno charts. The chip company said looks like carbon build up on the induction side. We continued with the remap an the car gained +50BHP and +30lb/ft of torque, so a good result. The lumpiness was still there at the bottom until about 5000 rpm when all hell let loose.

Anyway I decided to try Terraclean rather than several bottles of fuel additives along with expensive tankfuls of premium unleaded.

Took the car in to a local garage who did the Terraclean and Induction clean.
Picked up car and immediately noticed the difference - from sun 1000 rpm all the way to the aforementioned 5000+ rpm it was lump free.

I then decided to replicate my journey to work there was enough traffic around albeit a different time of day. My average fuel consumption went up from 28-30 mpg to 34mpg (20 mile round trip with slow zones for a couple villages and roundabouts etc. not smooth and flowing).

So off the bat I am saying it looks good.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #52
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraserb64 View Post
Just had a Terraclean and another service they offer but mention less which focuses on the induction side.

To set the context my car is remapped and no has the power at top end but was noticeably "lumpy" through the lower rev range, which showed up on the dyno charts. The chip company said looks like carbon build up on the induction side. We continued with the remap an the car gained +50BHP and +30lb/ft of torque, so a good result. The lumpiness was still there at the bottom until about 5000 rpm when all hell let loose.

Anyway I decided to try Terraclean rather than several bottles of fuel additives along with expensive tankfuls of premium unleaded.

Took the car in to a local garage who did the Terraclean and Induction clean.
Picked up car and immediately noticed the difference - from sun 1000 rpm all the way to the aforementioned 5000+ rpm it was lump free.

I then decided to replicate my journey to work there was enough traffic around albeit a different time of day. My average fuel consumption went up from 28-30 mpg to 34mpg (20 mile round trip with slow zones for a couple villages and roundabouts etc. not smooth and flowing).

So off the bat I am saying it looks good.
Terraclean, never heard of it.
      07-30-2017, 07:58 PM   #53
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Just did a google search and it's a Canadian based company.

http://www.terraclean.net/app_guide2/index.php

Might want to do this.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 08:20 AM   #54
Fraserb64
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Terraclean, never heard of it.
http://www.terraclean.co.uk/
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #55
Havocsteve
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraserb64 View Post
Does it really do a good job? I mean, I don't mind pulling the intake off and cleaning them myself but I'd rather do this is I could. Saves time and I'm not liable to mess something up lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #56
Fraserb64
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havocsteve View Post
Does it really do a good job? I mean, I don't mind pulling the intake off and cleaning them myself but I'd rather do this is I could. Saves time and I'm not liable to mess something up lol.
From the experience i had it worked mines an N54 (non turbo) was running like a yo-yo when dyno'd before an remap. The trace was more like stairs than a curve. Also my average fuel consumption on a regular trip to work was in the mid late 20's mpg. After the remap I had plenty power post 5000 RPM but still the yo-yo effect below. The Terraclean exhaust and induction clean made the car immediately smooth especially at low speed when you could almost stall pulling away in first. Taking up to and beyond 5000 rpm is a lot smoother. The most obvious think was my regular route to work started showing mid 30's mpg. How long it will last (no idea) using super unleaded as much as possible also.

Unfortunately I may need a remap as the car went to a main dealer for some work and they updated the ECU so my 50hp gain has probably gone as the car though smooth feels lazy.

I guess the question is several bottles of additives over a year which adds up to the same as a Terraclean, or strip down and do it your self. (i didn't fancy it).

Last edited by Fraserb64; 08-31-2017 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 01:11 PM   #57
DSR27
Rep
Drives: 2010 Deep Sea Blue 135i

TerraClean - no contact with intake valves ???

I just looked at the info on TerraClean. It appears to put highly reactive and concentrated cleaners directly into the fuel injection. The problem for those hoping to clean the carbon from intake valves in a 135 this way is that none of those cleaners will reach the intake valve, at least not directly, for the same reason that DI engines have carbon buildup on the intakes. If there was so much blowby that the solvent-laden crankcase vapors washed years of carbon away from the intakes, I'd be worried about other things.

This doesn't deny that TerraClean could do do some good. It could certainly clean the combustion chamber, exhaust ports, etc. I just don't see how any benefit to the intakes on a DI engine would occur.

Gary
Appreciate 0