BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

Another One Bites The Dust....HPFP Deaded

so on friday i started the car up, RPMs went from 2400 to 800 then stalled, CEL all day. at the end of the day, the light goes away, everything is normal.

now on sunday i am driving down the highway, feel a sputter and then the power goes away and my car sounded like a scoobie or golf cart, then died.

i had the car flat bedded to the dealer and dropped the keys. now today, apparently they cant find anything wrong with it. they say that it is on the "programmer" but they couldnt find any problems with the HPFP.

can i demand a replacement pump when the thing has already crapped out once, or am i supposed to deal with their codes and have the thing fail again?
      06-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

it will fail again 'GUARANTEED"...be prepared to take it back 1-2 more times till it throws a HPFP code , it will... or let the service advisor take it home for a few day's and let it shit on him.....i did this after my car crapped the 3rd time within 2 weeks...At that point i was pissed....quote " Do not give me the car back till it's 100% fixed,,,,the service advisor took it home and luckily it shit in his driveway the next morning..It's like the car had bad hangover .. ......flash,injectors,plugs, and a new HPFP all need to be checked and installed before good results will happen....Bmw's approach is pissing too many of us off....they should just put the new pump in, they no in the end they will and just alienate another owner.....they are just re-installing rebuilt #880 pumps now and calling them #933 !! I quess BMW likes to keep there NA case file workers busy..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
can i demand a replacement pump when the thing has already crapped out once, or am i supposed to deal with their codes and have the thing fail again?
I would say it depends on your SA. The problem with warranty work is that the dealership risks not getting paid from BMWNA if they don't follow procedures and service bulletins before replacing parts, even if the symptom and resolution appear obvious.

I'm sure there are ways for the service department to work the system, but not every SA is going to take that risk. Our cars are entirely operated by computers, so in most cases a tech can't use their experience to diagnose issues before the computer decides there's an issue (usually too little, too late).

On the other hand, having the car die on the freeway is not something to be taken lightly for a new BMW. Besides being a safety hazard, there aren't many other possibilities that would cause such a symptom without an obvious sign of failure.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
hppypaul
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009, 135i Convertible

It's extreme, but you could do what I did.

Gave them the chance to take the high road and just give
me a new '11 even though it only crapped out twice.

I got jack, and they wanted to play by the book. Just work with us,
give us a chance to fix it, let's see what we can do....

Blah, blah, blah. I dumped my lease early and got out. Loved the car
but didn't need the hassles.

Switched over to a a '10 Acura TL, SHAWD with 6 speed MT.
Not exactly the same, but works for me and Fully loaded with everything
leather, nav, tech, heated seats, auto everything, comfort access, 440 watt stereo, for a great deal, 5 star safety, and bullet proof reliability.
Every time I press that button, she fires right up. Had enough of BMW and their overpriced options that should all be standard equipment for what they charge.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

You shouldn't worry about it. It's covered under a 10 year warranty.

You've probably just been using the wrong gas, and that's why it's dying.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
You shouldn't worry about it. It's covered under a 10 year warranty.

You've probably just been using the wrong gas, and that's why it's dying.
i use 92 every time no question
      06-15-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
I would say it depends on your SA. The problem with warranty work is that the dealership risks not getting paid from BMWNA if they don't follow procedures and service bulletins before replacing parts, even if the symptom and resolution appear obvious.

I'm sure there are ways for the service department to work the system, but not every SA is going to take that risk. Our cars are entirely operated by computers, so in most cases a tech can't use their experience to diagnose issues before the computer decides there's an issue (usually too little, too late).

On the other hand, having the car die on the freeway is not something to be taken lightly for a new BMW. Besides being a safety hazard, there aren't many other possibilities that would cause such a symptom without an obvious sign of failure.
i would take it up with BMWNA if it was a safety issue if it came to that, i can't have a car just die on me while driving on the freeway god knows where, thats not safe in my eyes.

it will be interesting to hear what they have to say tomorrow morning after they do the cold start and get back to working on it.
      06-15-2010, 12:32 AM   #8
ScottyG
Rep
Drives: 135i

Don't give up. My (2nd) HPFP issue only happened when it was warmed up, so the mechanic couldn't reproduce it when he made a half-assed effort. Just be persistent.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep

well, i pushed it as a safety issue and the dealership pushed it, and bmwna gave the go ahead to replace the pump. car starts smoother than it has in a while. they also seemed to have installed new software on the car and a map update, however i am livid that every contact in my address book was deleted without a trace. . . happen to anyone else?
      06-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
guydude
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 ordered

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
thats what happens with an update....it would be sweet to be able to plug in our laptops and do a back-up!
Appreciate 0