United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Question for 1M Owners in Austin, TX

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I am going to be picking up my 1M from PCD on 11/3 (tentative). The day after PCD, I will be starting the drive back to the west coast. My buddy and I will be spending a night in New Orleans, then a night in Austin. Based on the route we are taking, the 1200 mile break in service on my car would need to happen in Austin.

Is there a dealership that you recommend? Based on our schedule, I would need to drop off the car mid-afternoon on Saturday, get a loaner car, then pick it up the next morning. So, my ideal dealership is open Saturday and Sunday (longer the hours, the better) and would give me a loaner car.

Once I get a couple of recommendations and my plans are finalized, I would call them to make sure they know that a 1M is coming in for service with specific times and to make sure for them to have the necessary materials on hand (like the special transmission fluid).

Thanks in advance!
      08-31-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Inertiatic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP->2022 M3Cx

I've had nothing but good service from BMW Austin, but they are not open on Sundays. Honestly I have not heard of a dealership, let alone a service department open on Sundays.

BMW Austin does have an overnight pickup service where you could pick up the car after hours/on Sunday, but you'd need to check with them to see if they will guarantee mid Sat drop off and Sat completion.

Good luck! You're probably going to need it with requests/timeline that specific!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
andrews
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
The pick-up service is an interesting thought. I don't know how long the initial 1200 mile service takes, I think it is just an inspection and changing fluids, so I hope it doesn't take too long. If it's short enough, I could even wait at the dealership. But basically, I will make it to Austin as early as I need to to get the service done on Saturday.

The reason for the loaner car is that my buddy and I were hoping to take in a UT football game
      08-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Inertiatic
Private
Rep

Nice!

I'd say give them a quick ring, 512-343-3555. I've dealt with a few of their Service Advisors, haven't run into a "Bad apple" if you will.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
andrews
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Perfect, will do. Thanks!
      08-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Yah, give them a call and let 'em know what you’re doing. They will almost certainly do whatever it takes to get you out the same day as long as you get in by a certain time. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with our TX hospitality!

Ok, now on to more important matters. Since you are stopping in Austin you are going to need to get some BBQ. Arguably the best BBQ (its a big argument down here) is Saltlick. They have a website. They only take cash and I believe its BYOB.

You really do need to stop there. Remember all men die, but not all men truly live. You have to experience Saltlick BBQ at least once in your life.

If for some unconscionable reason you don’t like BBQ, well it would probably be safer for you to skip the state all together
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
Inertiatic
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_robertm View Post
Ok, now on to more important matters. Since you are stopping in Austin you are going to need to get some BBQ. Arguably the best BBQ (its a big argument down here) is Saltlick. They have a website. They only take cash and I believe its BYOB.

You really do need to stop there. Remember all men die, but not all men truly live. You have to experience Saltlick BBQ at least once in your life.

If for some unconscionable reason you don’t like BBQ, well it would probably be safer for you to skip the state all together
Quoted for truth! Also, don't confuse Saltlick with Salt Grass, it is NOT the same thing!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Texas F1
1M Owner
Rep
Drives: Lotus Evora 410, BMW 1M, Z4

Just FYI, I stopped by BMW of Austin on my way home yesterday to make an appointment for my run in service (1200 mile check). They indicated that this service was lengthly enough that they're providing a loaner car for the day (in other words, this probably isn't a quick thing that you could just wait in their lounge). For sure, you'll want to call them at least several days ahead to make an appointment--they seem to be super busy right now.

I'm a little concerned that the service advisor asked which transmission I had in my 1M. I told him it was the only one available, the 6-speed manual. I hope the service techs are better trained.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 M5, 23 X5 45e

FYI - I waited on my 1200 mile service in Houston. It took less than 2 hours. Austin only has 1 BMW dealership, Houston has 6 in area.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Yah, give them a call and let 'em know what you’re doing. They will almost certainly do whatever it takes to get you out the same day as long as you get in by a certain time. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with our TX hospitality!

i just went there last month when we were in Austin for a cheer event for Syd....... i had heard from another friend that it is really good BBQ: It was good... not slap yo mama good... but good. the best item actually was the au gratin potatoes that come with the family plates. those were incredible! i hear the cobbler is quite good as well. SALT LICK is in Round Rock next to Dell Diamond. Also check out the Round Rock donut shop (a food network approved joint) as well
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
darrensi
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
i just went there last month when we were in Austin for a cheer event for Syd....... i had heard from another friend that it is really good BBQ: It was good... not slap yo mama good... but good. the best item actually was the au gratin potatoes that come with the family plates. those were incredible! i hear the cobbler is quite good as well. SALT LICK is in Round Rock next to Dell Diamond. Also check out the Round Rock donut shop (a food network approved joint) as well
The Salt Lick in Round Rock is good but if you want the full experience then you want to go out to the original Salt Lick in Dripping Springs.

Two thumbs up for Round Rock donuts though
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #12
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Boooo...all this talk about food is making me hungry. Gotta make a trip to Austin soon. I had county line bbq (i love beef ribs) and it was good. Will try saltlick next time.

OP, when you set up the appt, make sure they have all the required fluids available.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
Texas F1
1M Owner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Joseph View Post
OP, when you set up the appt, make sure they have all the required fluids available.
I know this comment was directed to the OP, but I asked the service advisor yesterday to make sure they had any and all required fluids and he replied that they would order whatever they needed and let me keep the loaner car if it took extra time. Not quite the professional response I was looking for. I'll let you know after next Tuesday if everything goes smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 01 M5, 23 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensi View Post
The Salt Lick in Round Rock is good but if you want the full experience then you want to go out to the original Salt Lick in Dripping Springs.

Two thumbs up for Round Rock donuts though
+1

I just had some fresh hot Round Rock Donuts today
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

I ordered and took delivery of my 1M from BMW of Austin, then drove to AZ. They are the best BMW Dealer I have dealt with PERIOD. I am more than confident that they can accommodate your needs as long as you call them and tell them your plans and schedule. Ask for the service manager and I'm sure he can help you out.

As a matter of fact I will be there this Friday and in Austin for the whole weekend. I cannot wait to get myself some Chicken Fried Steak and BBQ Brisket! Yummm in my tummmm!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 08:46 PM   #16
Texas F1
1M Owner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
I ordered and took delivery of my 1M from BMW of Austin, then drove to AZ. They are the best BMW Dealer I have dealt with PERIOD. I am more than confident that they can accommodate your needs as long as you call them and tell them your plans and schedule. Ask for the service manager and I'm sure he can help you out.

As a matter of fact I will be there this Friday and in Austin for the whole weekend. I cannot wait to get myself some Chicken Fried Steak and BBQ Brisket! Yummm in my tummmm!

If you have time, stop by the Cars & Coffee Sunday in Leander (just to the north side of Austin). The local BMW group usually has several cars on display and I'll be bringing my new AW 1M. We usually have 200-300 cars on a good weekend.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #17
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep

FWIW, if you're coming into Austin on Saturday 11/5 just be aware that it's a home game for the 'Horns vs TxTech that day. Better make a hotel reservation and know that the Salt Lick will be crowded. The Texas fans will love the VO!

As to BMW of Austin, I drove there to buy a CPO 335 MT last year. Only dealt with the Preowned sales and finance departments but they were super.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #18
Inertiatic
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Oh so you were one of the people ahead of me grabbing allocations!

I finally got my 111 status yesterday from BMW Austin, and just in time from the sound of all the "Allocations are all gone" stuff in other threads!

I hope I get lucky with boats, the wait is going to be unbearable now!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #19
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I am no longer happy with this thread. All the talk of Saltlick has now forced me to take a road trip! Think we'll drive down to San Antonio and stay the night on the riverwalk then make a stop in Driftwood for some BBQ on the way back this weekend.

Amazing how a guy from WA picking up a car in SC can somehow cause me to make a last minute trip to San Antonio
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #20
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
I am no longer happy with this thread. All the talk of Saltlick has now forced me to take a road trip! Think we'll drive down to San Antonio and stay the night on the riverwalk then make a stop in Driftwood for some BBQ on the way back this weekend.

Amazing how a guy from WA picking up a car in SC can somehow cause me to make a last minute trip to San Antonio

stop by Houston on your way home and bring some beef ribs for me. (and some donuts)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
andrews
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Having grown up in Florida with a mother who was born and raised in GA, I'd like to think that I know BBQ and sweet tea. I'll definitely stop by Salt Lick and check it out.

Texas F1: Since my buddy and I are trying to hustle back to Seattle, what time do you guys usually get started with Cars and Coffee? Won't be able to stay long, but I might be able to swing through.

I know there is a UT home game. My buddy has a friend who is going to try to get us tickets Worst case, the UT fans love my car color and I get to check out some awesome Austin night life. I hear you guys have some pretty kick ass concerts.
      09-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #22
Texas F1
1M Owner
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews View Post
Texas F1: Since my buddy and I are trying to hustle back to Seattle, what time do you guys usually get started with Cars and Coffee? Won't be able to stay long, but I might be able to swing through.
I think the official hours are 11 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. They start parking cars around 10. I usually go early (around 10) and leave early depending on the heat.
Appreciate 0