BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Anyone did brake fluid change?

Did anyone changed brake fluid by your own which method did you used?
Did you changed also in clutch line?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Bleeding the brakes is fairly simple. I recommend that you use a pressure bleeder to push new fluid through the lines and then follow it up with the two person method where one person pumps the brakes and holds pressure while the other person opens the bleeder valve. You'll find a number if DIYs on the topic. Just remember to empty the old fluid from the reservoir with a turkey baster before pouring in the new fluid, keep the reservoir full at all times, start with the right rear, move to the left rear, then right front and finally left front. Turn the engine on if/when doing the two person method. It helps to tap the calipers with a rubber mallet when using the pressure bleeder to help the air escape the calipers.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Bleeding the brakes is fairly simple. I recommend that you use a pressure bleeder to push new fluid through the lines and then follow it up with the two person method where one person pumps the brakes and holds pressure while the other person opens the bleeder valve. You'll find a number if DIYs on the topic. Just remember to empty the old fluid from the reservoir with a turkey baster before pouring in the new fluid, keep the reservoir full at all times, start with the right rear, move to the left rear, then right front and finally left front. Turn the engine on if/when doing the two person method. It helps to tap the calipers with a rubber mallet when using the pressure bleeder to help the air escape the calipers.
Thanks. So you are saying I have to suck out oil from reservoir and then pump it out with pedal to make system absolutely empty full of air. Refill it with new fluid and bleed it? What about clutch line?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Thanks. So you are saying I have to suck out oil from reservoir and then pump it out with pedal to make system absolutely empty full of air. Refill it with new fluid and bleed it? What about clutch line?
NO, don't do that! Just try to remove as much of the old brake fluid out of the reservoir before putting new fluid in. The new fluid will push the old fluid out of the lines. Keep an eye on the level of fluid in the reservoir and make sure it never gets below 1/4 full. You do not want to introduce air into the brake lines, especially at the reservoir. If you do, you will have to bleed the whole system again to make sure the lines are free of bubbles. Keep in mind that brake fluid is highly corrosive and will destroy your paint. Have a lot of rags on hand, and wash you hands if you get brake fluid on them... Otherwise you will leave permanent finger prints on whatever you touch.

Get a bleeder bottle with a clear hose to attach to the bleed valve. Depending on how old the fluid is, you will see when the new fluid makes its way through the system. Whe new, the BMW brake fluid is yellow. When old, it looks more like tan to me. I use Castrol SRF which is almost clear when new, and slightly darker when old. The clear tube will also allow you to see if all the air has been removed from the lines.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I used a power bleeder I bought for my son but I did not put the fluid into the bleeder as is the normal practice. If you put the fluid in the bleeder, you do not have to worry about the level in the container above the master cylinder because it will just flow from the bleeder. But the disadvantage is you put fluid in the bleeder which is difficult to clean out and attracts moisture. I put it into the master cylinder container but have to refill between wheels. I just make sure it's full, pressurize, and then crack a bleed valve and let it run a bit (through a hose into an old soda bottle).

Two people works but you have to be coordinated. The person pumping the brakes cannot let up until the bleed valve is closed. If they do, you pull in air.
      05-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I used a power bleeder I bought for my son but I did not put the fluid into the bleeder as is the normal practice. If you put the fluid in the bleeder, you do not have to worry about the level in the container above the master cylinder because it will just flow from the bleeder. But the disadvantage is you put fluid in the bleeder which is difficult to clean out and attracts moisture. I put it into the master cylinder container but have to refill between wheels. I just make sure it's full, pressurize, and then crack a bleed valve and let it run a bit (through a hose into an old soda bottle).

Two people works but you have to be coordinated. The person pumping the brakes cannot let up until the bleed valve is closed. If they do, you pull in air.
Totally agree with you regarding adding fluid to the reservoir vs. the pressure bleeder. Out of curiosity, what psi do you use? I can't get myself to pressurize past 18 psi for fear of blowing the cap off the reservoir, but don't get optimal pedal feel unless I followed it up with the two person method.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Thanks guys really good info. Anybody saw some DIY photos?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Totally agree with you regarding adding fluid to the reservoir vs. the pressure bleeder. Out of curiosity, what psi do you use? I can't get myself to pressurize past 18 psi for fear of blowing the cap off the reservoir, but don't get optimal pedal feel unless I followed it up with the two person method.
DO NOT use more then 10 psi or so. On older cars when you pressurize the master cylinder reservoir - you can actually blow off the reservoir from the master cylinder. It just sits on top and attaches with some rubber O-rings.

Rimas I always do what Pig Farmer said: I use a turkey baster to suck out most of the brake fluid from the reservoir, then I attach my Motive brake bleeder - it will fill the reservoir with fresh clean fluid. Then I bleed each brake line. Remember the the bleeding order is the longest brake line first... RR, LR, RF, LF. I keep bleeding until the brake fluid is clear and fresh looking.

I would not mess around with the clutch line... because it is a real PITA to bleed/open. Also the bleed nipple down at the clutch slave tends to snap off - so thats another reason not to mess around down there!

This is the Motive presure bleeder that I use...
http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.c...109_p_101.html
Appreciate 0