BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 TRD Off Road 4r - 2018 M3

2006 GP of Britain

Take your pick:

1st: Alonso
2nd: Button
3rd: Schumi Sr.

Dark horse: Kimi

This is a track that like everyone else should know intimately as they test there...and it's a good fast circuit that requires good mechanical grip so that they dont have to run as much downforce. Tires of course will be key at this track as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #2
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

1 alonso
2 schumi
2 JV

how many good passing zone on this track?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Before watching practice this morning, I would've given it to Schumi with Alonso close 2nd. I'm thinking this one'll be the other way around now. 3rd is anybody's guess, but I know who won't be there ... Jensen, he's already publicly given up before he started.

Is it just me or does this season seem a little strange? Either Alonso's really worried about Schumi or he's regretting his switch to the dark side next year. He doesn't seem to be taking any joy out of his wins this season, just heads down, get the job done.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep

not many...there's a spot at Bridge, Brooklands and drafting down the main straight.

The complex of left rights at maggots, becketts, and chapel are fun to watch and must be exciting as hell for the drivers going full tilt boogie. Maybe an overtaking chances at Stowe as you brake for the right hander.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #5
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep

i think alonso's maturing as a driver and realizes that it's not all about the win but more consistency that wins championships...so with that, yah he's all business.

Friday practice is jsut that practice i wouldnt bet money on any of the results based on Friday's practice. some teams like to show off to the sponsors and get some air time by running light fuel and topping the charts. while the front runners are busy setting up their car for the race.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #6
obLu
Major
Rep

Yeah, does anyone pay attention to the friday driver time's anymore? I'm just concerned that Schumi might be on the ragged edge with both his little offs. Doesn't seem like him to push that hard on a friday ... starting to suspect they might've been caught out a little bit.

Curious to see what happens over the engine freeze. I'm not happy about it as a fan, I can't imagine how the manufacturers feel about it. Do they keep competing as a marketing strategy or move to a different series for engineering knowledge?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Well, both Alonso and Fisi went off in practice also. There were some great shots of them doing 4 wheel drifts and ending up in the grass, shortcutting the corner. I forget which corner it was off hand. Should be an interesting race. Hopefully there are no qualifying "incedents"

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu
Yeah, does anyone pay attention to the friday driver time's anymore? I'm just concerned that Schumi might be on the ragged edge with both his little offs. Doesn't seem like him to push that hard on a friday ... starting to suspect they might've been caught out a little bit.

Curious to see what happens over the engine freeze. I'm not happy about it as a fan, I can't imagine how the manufacturers feel about it. Do they keep competing as a marketing strategy or move to a different series for engineering knowledge?
I guess I just don't follow about the engine freeze beign a bad thing. I think this could possibly be one of the best things MM has done. Like he mentioned about the worthlessness of research in making engines go 200rpm faster each year for so much money. If you look at the top teams, they all independently develop their engines, yet they're almost identical in terms of output and economy. Why not just freeze the development in this area, which has no practical use, and redirect that research and development into areas that the manufacturers can practically use on real cars. It also seems like the ability to use this energy storage system they're talking about, as a "push to pass" button could make for more interesting racing as well. A lot of it depends on the details of how they work out the rules though, so we'll have to wait and see.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep

personally i want to see the flat bottoms come back...they were able to slice and dice at close quarters without fear of loosing downforce. Bring it back and let's see passing on the track!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 06:16 PM   #10
obLu
Major
Rep

For me, F1 boils down to knowning the bleeding edge of technology is there in the cars I'm watching. The racing is almost secondary for me. And engine freeze brings the pinnacle of racing technology closer to a "spec" series in my eyes. Which if I want to watch one of those, there are plenty of others.

I'd rather see it go the other way, let the teams go absolutely hog wild with no restrictions besides it has to have 4 wheels .... and even let that be up for debate like the 6 wheel Tyrell. Absolutely bring back less arbitrary aero, I don't remember "aero wash" being a problem back in the day.

But that's just me. I understand it's a business endevour and that closer racing means more viewers/fans. Sorry, push to pass just smack of WWF/Nascar staged antics.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Bernie and Co try so hard to make this into a spectacle and more competitive when all their doing is stiffling the development of automotive technology. Remember back in the day of Mansell/Senna/Prost with their full active and automatic cars? the racing was close, competitive and exciting to watch. I still remember the dicing that senna and prost did in Kayalama circuit...what a rush.

F1 like you said is the PINNACLE of motor racing...let it be that and let them do what they need to to be competitive...the rest will catch up. I just thought of something, instead of putting a cap on certain things why not put a cap on their budget? like say...(this is arbitrary) $500 million per season. then that way they decide what and where they spend their money on.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #12
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep

what a qualifier! should be a great race! The BMW's are in good shape in terms of speed but seem a bit dodgy going through the complex of corners.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #13
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Too bad I missed the start. F1 start is alway my favorite part of the race when everyone is jocking for posisition. There you go, alonso and schumi again. Nice to see heinfeld and JV finish with some points.It was a pretty unevenful races beside the pitstop to see how many posisition the gain or lost with the stop. I did not know these cars had electronic traction control. I thought it was the wing and setup that created the downforce to keep the car from flying. I guess these racing machines are loaded with all sort of electronic goodies...

Wonder where JPM will go next season.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2006, 01:29 PM   #14
foofighter
Captain
United_States
Rep

he'll go back to champ cars LOL the race was BORING man...after that start really nothing special happened other than michael passing kimi in the pits
Appreciate 0