BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Any chance of a high mileage 1M getting into the high 30k low 40k?

I know 1m's hold value really well but has anyone ever seen a high mileage example in the high 30's to low 40's? So far the lowest I've seen is 45k but maybe in a few years it could drop even more with miles? I Really want to move up to a 1M or M4 after my 135i and I'm trying to figure out if its even plausible or if a m4 would have depreciated more by then.
JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines.]
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

If you go off the e92 M3 numbers you can expect the M4 to drop about 30 to 50% of its value at the end of the warrantee period, depending on the model year and if BMW does any significant updates to the car mid run.

If you really want a bang for your buck car I would wait and see what the M2 does to 1M value (nobody has a crystal ball even though they think they do). Or wait until you can find a solid 2014 or 15 M4 in 4 years or so.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
Shroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, AMG E 63 S Wagon

It's the dealers cranking up the prices today, not so much the original or current owners. I think in one to two years you will see these cars back to MSRP mid 40's low 50's. and then holding value. The problem will then become finding one that is unmolested, un modded and with decent milage. Those cars will retain the largest premium in mid 60's or a bit higher. I don't think you will see the 30's…ever.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

I plan on keeping my current 135i for a while so I could wait for the m4 prices to die no problem but I really love the 1M. Also I could throw most of my aftermarket stuff from my car now onto the 1M if I did find one so that's appealing. Don't really care about high mileage or mods on a 1M I would modify mine anyway and motors are everywhere.
JB4 G5 + BMS race flash, BMS meth kit, VRSF DP, Big tom Ic, BMS chinese tester CP, Custom Muffler Delete, BMS Oil Cooler Valve, Cowl Filters, Clutch Stop, B&M Short Shifter, Spec Stg 2+ Clutch W/ Oem dmfw, Vmr V710, KW v2, M RSFB, 1M Front and rear Bumper, Performance Side Skirts, slek trunk, Lci blacklines.]
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #5
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
I do think you will see 1Ms in the upper 40s sooner or later....but that's the LEAST they will ever go to, IMO.....they will never depreciate like an regular M3 as those were mass produced and nowhere near as desirable in terms of supply and demand. There are lots of people waiting for this car to get under $40k...but that's exactly why it's not going to happen.

my philosophy: buy now for a bit more $$...and enjoy the shit out of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
I do think you will see 1Ms in the mid-$40s sooner or later....but that's the LEAST they will ever go to, IMO.....they will never depreciate like an regular M3 as those were mass produced and nowhere near as desirable in terms of supply and demand.
I could see a high mileage car for high 30's but you're right most will be in the 40's
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchxvx View Post
I could see a high mileage car for high 30's but you're right most will be in the 40's
a car like mine will be high mileage (at 49k miles right now)...but i'm never selling it so it doesn't matter

the problem is there aren't that many 'high mileage' 1Ms out there....the majority seem to be weekend cars and occasional use cars...if they go down to the high-30s....i will seriously buy a 2nd one.

when i bought my car with 35k miles i was actually looking specifically FOR a higher mileage car for affordability and also so it wouldn't have signs of disuse or less maintenance.....maintly because i knew it would be put into DD use for me. I think how well it was maintained is more important than how many miles are on it, personally.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchxvx View Post
a car like mine will be high mileage (at 49k miles right now)...but i'm never selling it so it doesn't matter

the problem is there aren't that many 'high mileage' 1Ms out there....the majority seem to be weekend cars and occasional use cars...if they go down to the high-30s....i will seriously buy a 2nd one.

when i bought my car with 35k miles i was actually looking specifically FOR a higher mileage car for affordability and also so it wouldn't have signs of disuse or less maintenance.....maintly because i knew it would be put into DD use for me. I think how well it was maintained is more important than how many miles are on it, personally.
Yeah that's the big problem. I would take one with any miles from 50000-100000 honestly. After my 135i I already know what will break and what won't. High 30's would be a dream!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Good luck to find one.

Less than a year to go for the M2 release. Patience is a virtue.

Of course rave reviews like this won't help lowering prices of 1M cars in pristine condition:
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=31384
      12-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Good luck to find one.

Of course rave reviews like this won't help lowering prices of 1M cars in pristine condition:
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=31384
Yep I'm hoping when the M2 comes out that will be my time to swoop in
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchxvx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Good luck to find one.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=31384" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.pistonhea...ryId=31384</a>" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...=31384</a></a>
Yep I'm hoping when the M2 comes out that will be my time to swoop in
This is probably the best strategy.

I purchased my first e30 m3.. A 1991 diamond black example with 41k miles for 20k in 1995, and while it did depreciate slightly for a few years , the value stayed very consistent for a decade at well over 15k , and now they have skyrocketed again and that same car placed in a time capsule would probably fetch at, or over the original MSRP of $34,995 today.

There will be a certain number of people that trade their 1Ms or sell them in order to get an M4/M3 and then another group that do so on the M2. I myself could be in the latter group (another euro delivery and a fresh warranty are tempting, more so than any increase in performance ) but I already have at least 2 people I know that would seriously want to buy it if were to sell. I am sure that many owners have friends that would snap their car up.

This car is in more limited amounts than the E30 M3, and offers a boatload more performance than other unique M cars like the z3 and z4 S54 M roadster/coupes and the e36m3 CSL.

Any one that owns it is blessed to have an incredible machine, and anyone selling it is humbled by selling such an incredible machine.

So, in 2015, when the anticipation begins for the M2 a window of opportunity will be there for new owners... And for that year and shortly thereafter you will probably see the lowest prices for a used 1M for a long while to come.

Even if the M2 is as much "improved "over the 1M as the E36M3 was over the E30M3, the 1M will certainly always hold it's value better.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

I purchased my first e30 m3.. A 1991 diamond black example with 41k miles for 20k in 1995, and while it did depreciate slightly for a few years , the value stayed very consistent for a decade at well over 15k , and now they have skyrocketed again and that same car placed in a time capsule would probably fetch at, or over the original MSRP of $34,995 today.

Even if the M2 is as much "improved "over the 1M as the E36M3 was over the E30M3, the 1M will certainly always hold it's value better.
it's also important to remember that there were WAAAAY more E30 M3s produced than 1Ms. In fact, around 5000+ E30 M3s made it to the USA alone....that's almost as much as the entire global run of 1Ms. The 1M is and will be a much rarer car that will hold value better than even the amazing E30 M3.....even though it lacks the racing pedigree.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #13
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

it's also important to remember that there were WAAAAY more E30 M3s produced than 1Ms. In fact, around 5000+ E30 M3s made it to the USA alone....that's almost as much as the entire global run of 1Ms. The 1M is and will be a much rarer car that will hold value better than even the amazing E30 M3.....even though it lacks the racing pedigree.
Really it could go either way. The 1M is special because bmw doesn't make a car like that at all anymore but also because of limited numbers. On the other Hand it shares all of its parts with other bmws and the motor it self is just a average n54 with the boost turned up.
The E30 m3 is limited in numbers and is pretty much totally unique in the engine and parts department. Plus it was the first m3 ever mad and the racing heritage adds value too I would think.
Anyway thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to constantly be on the look for a high Milage 1m in the coming months.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 08:00 PM   #14
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
56k miles VO at Carmax for $48.9k

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...results%20page
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #15
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
56k miles VO at Carmax for $48.9k

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/...results%20page" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.carmax.co...lts%20page</a>
There's also a black one with 21k miles for 49k and this one has 50k for the same price. I wonder if they're flexible on the price I feel like this could be a 39-40k car
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchxvx
Quote:
Quote:

Really it could go either way. The 1M is special because bmw doesn't make a car like that at all anymore but also because of limited numbers. On the other Hand it shares all of its parts with other bmws and the motor it self is just a average n54 with the boost turned up.
The E30 m3 is limited in numbers and is pretty much totally unique in the engine and parts department. Plus it was the first m3 ever mad and the racing heritage adds value too I would think.
Anyway thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to constantly be on the look for a high Milage 1m in the coming months.
I doubt this is a " go either way" situation. The 1m has held its value far better than any other limited edition model.

It's held its value early on as well as or better than the S54 z3 coupes/roadsters.

It's been more in demand than the s54 powered z4 models.

It's held its value equally or better than the z8 roadsters

It's held its value better than the e30 m3, which actually had many copies remain on lots unsold.

The most recent special edition that had just a slightly different motor was the e36 m3 light weight which had hand picked motors reported to have a slightly higher output. Those cars also didn't differ too greatly from their standard model however the e36m3 lightweight has been a collectible for decades and has pretty much had its value over and above MSRP the entire time. Approx 100 made, a small sample of e36 production.

Let's put this differently. What evidence is there to the contrary? There really isn't ...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #17
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
I doubt this is a " go either way" situation. The 1m has held its value far better than any other limited edition model.

It's held its value early on as well as or better than the S54 z3 coupes/roadsters.

It's been more in demand than the s54 powered z4 models.

It's held its value equally or better than the z8 roadsters

It's held its value better than the e30 m3, which actually had many copies remain on lots unsold.

The most recent special edition that had just a slightly different motor was the e36 m3 light weight which had hand picked motors reported to have a slightly higher output. Those cars also didn't differ too greatly from their standard model however the e36m3 lightweight has been a collectible for decades and has pretty much had its value over and above MSRP the entire time. Approx 100 made, a small sample of e36 production.

Let's put this differently. What evidence is there to the contrary? There really isn't ...
well said...i think the only comparable BMW was the Z8-----however i remember towards the end of the Z8 run, those cars were sitting around UNSOLD for months if not over a year as nobody had bought them. I still remember seeing a Z8 Alpina marked down to $99k in Chicago....brand new. The 1M never suffered from that....if anything, there was way too much demand for too few cars.

the Z8 prices only climbed/stabilized a few years after production ended. Since then they have been rising constantly...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #18
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm not trying to say they will totally lose value I just think they will to a point. I could see a 100k mile 1m go for low 40's high 30's but I bet that's as low as they go.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #19
craina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 m2c

I personally do not see them dipping below 40k, but there are always outliers. Keep your eyes on all of the classifieds/autotrader etc sometimes one will pop up with some minor accident history, lots of track duty, or a desperate owner and will be asking under market value. If you are quick enough you could find your 1M.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 09:14 PM   #20
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

My car was quoted by my bank as being worth $43,500 @ 80,000 miles.
      01-06-2015, 09:16 PM   #21
Grinchxvx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonX
My car was quoted by my bank as being worth $43,500 @ 80,000 miles.
That's good news to me! If I ever see one in the low 40's or high 30's I'm jumping on it
Appreciate 0