BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
GhettoBooty
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

coming back after many months - need advice on handing/suspension

Hey all,

I bought a 2012 135i n55 early this year. Since then, ive done a lot with BMS tuning, including:

- intake
- chargepipe
- downpipe
- jb4
- intercooler

And the car does have a lot of power, esp when it hits 18 psi. But, i remember that many on the forum mentioned that the car won't feel fast until you mod the suspension. Also, the mechanices who installed these parts suggested "struts and sways".

I would like to upgrade the suspension or whatever it is to make the car feel better in turns and more confidence-inspiring. Right now, going around a roundabout feels kinda clumsy and not precise or sharp. The handling is not really that great on the 135i. It feels unstable and I don't feel in control. Anyone know what I'm talking about? What things can I do to fix it?

Specific part/kit recommendations would help. What about the BMW performance suspension kit?

Thanks!
      10-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Weak points are dampers and subframe bushings to start. You have to figure out if you want stock, near stock, or lowered ride height as well. I would stay away from sway bars at least at first. The most important suspension mods to do are the ones you can't see unfortunately.

Not knowing your approximate budget it's hard to give you advice on what specific parts to buy.
      11-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

You will need to look at replacing some bushings at both the front and rear end of the car to start off. M3 front control arm kit will be a good start along with none run-flat tires. Subframe bushings, guide and toe links next.

The stock dampers have too much compression damping and not enough rebound so put those on your list as well. If not going with coilover, Koni with sport springs from BMW Performance or Swift make a great combo.
Appreciate 0