BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

Still, nice to get extra review material...
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarandDriver
Generally speaking, we are wary of purists. You know them, the evangelists who know that their diaper-wiped, garage-kept, first-generation Panther V500 is the quintessential—nay, the only—pure version of the breed. Never mind that newer versions of the Panther have functioning electronics and more than 90 hp and don’t spontaneously burst into flames.

BMW has given M purists plenty of reasons to dislike the BMW 1-series M. It is not much quicker than the 135i, and— gasp!—is not powered by a high-revving, small-displacement, naturally aspirated engine. Indeed, it is powered by exactly the same 335-hp twin-turbo engine that powers the Z4 sDrive35is, which not only carries one of the industry’s dumbest names but isn’t even an M car.

The truth is that the 1-series M is a parts-bin car. If they are offended by the engine, though, M purists should have no beef with the other loaner parts. The brakes, the limited-slip differential, the aluminum dampers, and the rear subframe and suspension components come directly from the M3.

No Surprises

Not surprisingly, then, the inherent goodness of the package shines once you get the car on a decent road. The 1 M’s super-quick steering (2.2 turns lock-to-lock), combined with a short wheelbase, makes it feel like a go-kart, despite its upright, relatively tall seating position. Its grip is stunning. It borrows the Michelin PS2s from the M3 Competition package (245/35-19 front, 265/35-19 rear), and the body appears to be shrink-wrapped around these monster meats, which are barely contained by the absurd and kind of awesome fender flares. They help the 1 M return an impressive 0.97 g on the skidpad compared with the 0.91 g achieved by the standard 135i we tested in 2009 (on Bridgestones). The brakes, too, are stellar. Everything about them feels right, and they haul the car to a stop from 70 mph in just 159 feet.

Actually, we, like many of the M faithful, are sad to see the days of high-revving, naturally aspirated M engines draw to a close. But we are comforted by the N54’s flexibility, which provides a driver with more gear-selection options than a peaky engine would. On tight, twisty roads, you never have to bother with the short-throw shifter, powering out of corners in third with gusto. Or you can drop to second, should you want to hang out the tail more easily on the exit before upshifting to third. In a straight line, the 1-series M bests the 135i’s 4.8-second sprint to 60 by 0.3 second and puts another 0.1 between itself and the non-M car by the quarter-mile, tearing past in 13.0 at 109 mph compared with the 135i’s 13.4 at 105.

A Few Compromises

For all its back-road prowess, the 1 M doesn’t ask you to make big *sacrifices in day-to-day driving. Despite a stiff tune and short-sidewall tires, there’s little impact harshness to the ride. Visibility and comfort are admirable by coupe standards.

The M’s interior betrays its high-end aspirations, however. The quality of the materials and the fit and finish are fine, but there’s a distinct whiff of economy sedan inside the this coupe. BMW tried to class up the joint with pieces of the always-racy synthetic suede, but its placement on the center of the dashboard, the shift boot, and the instrument-cluster hood is beyond weird. The relative lack of features on our preproduction car amplifies the impression of cheapness. The full-production U.S.-market cars will have a heftier pile of standard equipment for the vehicle’s $47,010 base price, including automatic adaptive xenon headlights, automatic climate control, cruise control, and keyless entry.

BMW offers a Convenience package that includes a nav system and park distance control and costs $2700. The Premium package adds auto-dimming mirrors, power front seats, an iPod adapter, and other things not exactly critical to the task of an M car. It’ll run you $2400. The metallic orange paint of our test car is, for the record, Valencia Orange Metallic and costs $550, as does Black Sapphire Metallic. The one other available color, Alpine White, is a no-cost option.

So where does all of this put the 1-series M in the pantheon of sports coupes and BMW M cars? We suppose that depends on what you’re looking for in a sports coupe or M car. What we can say for sure is that the BMW 1 M is great and weird and fun. No matter what the purists may say, we’re always happy to have more cars like that.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

It's basically a more detailed review, as compared to the magazine comparo w/ the ttrs.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Found that write-up to be slightly odd.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

I agree that the article was oddly written.

As far as the video not being posted, chalk it up to C&D teasing us and extending the period of time that people have to visit their website to check if it's posted yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
Dick Brown
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1m, Porche Boxster, Audi A8L

"BMW tried to class up the joint with pieces of the always-racy synthetic suede, but their placement on the center of the dashboard, the shift boot, and the instrument-cluster hood is beyond weird."

Overall very good review but I do agree with the above - would have been better used on the seats and headliner.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

I am not a fan of the Alcantara on the IC hood either. I wonder what the expense would be to replace it with the normal 1-series hood.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
gotboost426
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M and 2004 M3

Odd indeed.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Brown View Post
"BMW tried to class up the joint with pieces of the always-racy synthetic suede, but their placement on the center of the dashboard, the shift boot, and the instrument-cluster hood is beyond weird."

Overall very good review but I do agree with the above - would have been better used on the seats and headliner.
i agree and i dont. meaning that the dash is the best place for something like suede. the purpose is to minimize sun glare of the shiny dash when driving. any/all real sports cars have some type of material dash rather than leather or plastic. the shift boot and brake are normal places. the only weird part is the trim.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I like the door inserts, shifter boot and e-brake boot, but not so much the dash trim, door handle trims, or gauge hood. I would have been fine with the regular hood and the carbon fiber trim parts from BMW Performance for the dash and handle trims. Alcantara steering wheel option would have been nice though.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:20 AM   #10
R12ax7
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 340xi

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red135 View Post
Found that write-up to be slightly odd.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #11
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I find most of it to be spot on. Dissapointed they just took the 35is engine and dropped it in. Dissapointed in the materials choices for the interior (would love to see an AW/CR 1M).

For those that don't like it, it will be short lived. For those that do, it will be a collector.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #12
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Considering that C&D generally speaks highly of BMWs, you might take it a damning with faint praise, but its seems pretty accurate.

parts-bin car
      04-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #13
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

It's just C&D.
      04-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

i dont understand how everyone can love the 135i and then say this car is no good. this car is far better than the 135 in any/all aspects. its a wide bodied, RWD, Twin Turbo, LSD sports car. Its going to be amazing!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #15
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Considering that C&D generally speaks highly of BMWs, you might take it a damning with faint praise, but its seems pretty accurate.

parts-bin car
why does the fact that it uses parts from another M car make this a bad thing? you dont want to run larger rubber on your 1 series? you dont want more hp from the factory? you dont think the addition of a LSD and a super light weight fly wheel would make your car better? what is wrong with people?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #16
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep
Drives: 25 to 2

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
odd? I think the author hit the nail on the head. It is a nice car and all, but it's a 135i with a tune and a bunch of m3 parts... stuff that alot of people have been doing on here for a while. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's true.

I am not one for modding cars, but if you were, it would be a tough sell to go from a lightly modded 135i (JB3 or proceed) and a few suspension goodies to this thing.

I think the car looks nice and all, but i bet it will be forgotten about in a few years... this is no ///m3, and for the price, you really can't expect it to be.
      04-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #17
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
i dont understand how everyone can love the 135i and then say this car is no good. this car is far better than the 135 in any/all aspects. its a wide bodied, RWD, Twin Turbo, LSD sports car. Its going to be amazing!
It's simple, people are morons.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #18
flux
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 LCI

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [0.00]
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
I think someone had to state the negatives of the car because every other article or write up about the car has said it's amazing.
Most negatives stated are not really negatives.
It's an interesting article though.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #19
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJUNO78 View Post
odd? I think the author hit the nail on the head. It is a nice car and all, but it's a 135i with a tune and a bunch of m3 parts... stuff that alot of people have been doing on here for a while. Not that it's a bad thing, but it's true.

I am not one for modding cars, but if you were, it would be a tough sell to go from a lightly modded 135i (JB3 or proceed) and a few suspension goodies to this thing.

I think the car looks nice and all, but i bet it will be forgotten about in a few years... this is no ///m3, and for the price, you really can't expect it to be.
do the math. name the parts that you think you will need to get the 135 to this level and then you will see that you are mistaken. on top of a money thing you are getting a car from a factory and not dealing with several aftermarket vendors. also, add a proceed chip to this thing when it comes out and its game over.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #20
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:

The 135i is already RWD, Twin Turbo (2008-2010), sports car.

The wide body means nothing to me.

The LSD is cool.

Worthy of an upgrade? Not for me.

With the increase in price of the 135i's, the M coupe may make sense for alot of buyers. If I was in the market for a 135i, I would be interested.

To me, the new pricing is a kick to the nuts. They boosted the price & got rid of any value packages, on a car that is at the end of it's life cycle. Who in their right mind would pay a premium for a car that is almost ready to be put out to pasture? I couldn't see getting this car after having the 135i.

I wouldn't be surprised if the F20's 135 equivalent is faster than the M1 or whatever they call it.
      04-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #21
pyrat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
+1

And it is not much more expensive than the 135i and it is cheaper than the 335is which has the same engine!

Many people act that the M3 is an un-dethrownable king, yet when a car borrows parts, it degrades the car? Blasphemy.

I severly endorce a BMW M car with this reduced price rather than a bespoke M engine (and bespoke suspension, cmon) which would cost 98% the price of the M3.

This is not M3.1, this is 1M don't forget it. Different, yet great for its own reasons.

Not to mention impressive .97 drag coefficient and braking numbers.

JOY is being offered in manual transmission and RWD.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #22
FJUNO78
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
do the math. name the parts that you think you will need to get the 135 to this level and then you will see that you are mistaken. on top of a money thing you are getting a car from a factory and not dealing with several aftermarket vendors. also, add a proceed chip to this thing when it comes out and its game over.
Yea, this may make sense for alot of new buyers, especially after the price jack.

But for the guy who already has a 135i with this stuff, it is hardly going to be an amazing difference.