BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Cloth Interior

Has anyone tried to order cloth interior as a special option? Has anyone asked if ordering it is even remotely possible?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
toosteeley
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I'd like to know as well.

Having said that, any special options will cost you.

I for one, have no intentions of paying for a base European option.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosteeley View Post
I'd like to know as well.

Having said that, any special options will cost you.

I for one, have no intentions of paying for a base European option.
Keep in mind they pay more for their cars to begin with, and I think you can only change so much of a car before having to test again for north american crash standards... thought i guess the seat material wouldn't be one of these

my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
imported_Ryan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Cab, 94 318 Cab

I'd be interested too - the leatherette feels kind of sticky, and the 323 sedan at the auto show smelled sort of funky inside. I have wonderful cloth in my e36, still looks great after many years. Warm in winter, cool in summer!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'd be interested too - the leatherette feels kind of sticky, and the 323 sedan at the auto show smelled sort of funky inside. I have wonderful cloth in my e36, still looks great after many years. Warm in winter, cool in summer!
+1. I love the cloth in my e36 as well. Like you said, cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and it looks good too. Leather is a scam, and leatherette just sucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
Has anyone tried to order cloth interior as a special option? Has anyone asked if ordering it is even remotely possible?
Yes, it's a north Ukrainian options P58. It's part of the "not so comfort" package which includes roll up windows, manual door locks, no AC and AM radio w/cassette.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
Yes, it's a north Ukrainian options P58. It's part of the "not so comfort" package which includes roll up windows, manual door locks, no AC and AM radio w/cassette.
Hey, a 135 LTW! Wish we could get one here.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Roll up windows that have the 'broomstick' option installed. The guy cuts off a length of broomstick and puts that between the bottom of the door and the bottom of the window so they won't roll down. Don't ask me how I know that. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lol. BMW offers cloth in every other market in the world except for North America. And frankly, I disagree with your assessment that cloth is on par with manual windows and cassette decks. Cloth is more durable and a lot more comfortable than leather and leatherette. Cloth is actually better unless you're just a poser that wants leather because it's just leather.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

Quote:
Lol. BMW offers cloth in every other market in the world except for North America. And frankly, I disagree with your assessment that cloth is on par with manual windows and cassette decks. Cloth is more durable and a lot more comfortable than leather and leatherette. Cloth is actually better unless you're just a poser that wants leather because it's just leather.
I like the look of leather. I also hate getting shocked every time I climb in and out of a cloth seat.

BMW knows that in our market, very few people would actually *want* cloth.

Granted, I like alcantara in particular for a track car, but that stuff doesn't wear very well.
      02-26-2008, 05:09 PM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
I like the look of leather. I also hate getting shocked every time I climb in and out of a cloth seat.

BMW knows that in our market, very few people would actually *want* cloth.

Granted, I like alcantara in particular for a track car, but that stuff doesn't wear very well.
I think that somewhat depends on the product.....
IDK about the OE Alcantara, but I reupholstered a previous car in Alcantara (name brand) & it still looked like new after 50K.
I have seen knock of material that did wear poorly though.

I absolutely loved my Alcantara & wouldn't hesitated getting it again.
In fact my plan would be to get the 'ette on the 1er & get them redone.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 08:50 PM   #13
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Quote:
[joke]you didn't get it[/joke]

Leather isn't for "posers". Leather is for people who like the feel of leather. I happen to be one of those people. As far as cloth goes, I wouldn't get it. Not because I care what people think as much as I care what my ass feels like on it....:wink:
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #14
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

I think cloth should be standard and leather as an option. I thought Vinyl was for $10k economy cars???????
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #15
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
[joke]you didn't get it[/joke]

Leather isn't for "posers". Leather is for people who like the feel of leather. I happen to be one of those people. As far as cloth goes, I wouldn't get it. Not because I care what people think as much as I care what my ass feels like on it....:wink:
Lol. Yes, I did in fact get your attempt at sarcasm. That doesn't change the fact that you think cloth is not a worthwhile option in a BMW. As for leather feeling better on your ass, good for you. If you like having something colder in the winter, and hotter in the summer touch your ass, than that's your business. But that's why I like cloth, because it's the opposite, and it is more durable. The leather used in most mainstream automobiles is sh!t, and not worth the money. IMO, leather is for poseurs.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #16
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep

Quote:
Lol. Yes, I did in fact get your attempt at sarcasm. That doesn't change the fact that you think cloth is not a worthwhile option in a BMW. As for leather feeling better on your ass, good for you. If you like having something colder in the winter, and hotter in the summer touch your ass, than that's your business. But that's why I like cloth, because it's the opposite, and it is more durable. The leather used in most mainstream automobiles is sh!t, and not worth the money. IMO, leather is for poseurs.
Dave:

1. I'm in the textile business and leather will wear longer than synthetic fibers.

2. Leather heat and cools to your body temp.

3. I give two shits what people think of me and my leather seats as I bought them because of #2.

4. Good day
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #17
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I think that somewhat depends on the product.....
IDK about the OE Alcantara, but I reupholstered a previous car in Alcantara (name brand) & it still looked like new after 50K.
I have seen knock of material that did wear poorly though.

I absolutely loved my Alcantara & wouldn't hesitated getting it again.
In fact my plan would be to get the 'ette on the 1er & get them redone.
Can't agree with you more about the Alcantara, hand it in my STi and it was great.

I think the only advantage to me about having cloth over leather is that cloth grips better.... But like most things, everyone has a different preference
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #18
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dave:

1. I'm in the textile business and leather will wear longer than synthetic fibers.

2. Leather heat and cools to your body temp.

3. I give two shits what people think of me and my leather seats as I bought them because of #2.

4. Good day
In real world automotive applications I have seen the exact opposite. Numerous driver seat leather side bolsters have been worn to he!! after a couple of years of driving. Show me cloth bolsters that wear that badly. Now if we are comparing vinyl to cloth, then it's a wash. But leather, no way. In terms of temperature, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I have cars with both, and the cloth is infinitely better in Winter/Summer extremes.

JMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #19
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

The driver's side cloth bolster in my 2003 350Z got really frayed after about a year. That's the only sport seat I've ever owned that was cloth, but it didn't fare too well in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #20
looking
Captain
Rep

^^^

I think it's tough to be accurate about what last longer for a car application. So many factors come into play. Choose what you like and for your application and enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #21
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
^^^

I think it's tough to be accurate about what last longer for a car application. So many factors come into play. Choose what you like and for your application and enjoy.
Exactly, like the size of one's a$$ and the amount of weight it supports. I've seen leather so worn it looked like a baby elephant had been using the car to deliver newspapers...

Personally, I like leatherette. I prefer the look of leather to cloth, but, from experience, I have more confidence in the value-for-$$ and wearability of leatherette.

As for cloth, I appreciate the practicality of it, but not so much the looks. But Alcantara is the exception. I would have that lining the seats of my car anyday.
      03-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #22
looking
Captain
Rep

^^^

There's pictures on here of a euro spec 1 that has a great interior...I just can't find it...
Appreciate 0