BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

VW Scirocco R tested

Test drove a manual today.

First impressions - doesnt look as good as I thought in real life - window area rather elongated, short bonnet.

Interior-wise felt a bit cheap for a $55k car. Lots of hard plastics, no leather seats. Rear vision is poor owing to the small rear glass areas and large c-pillars.

Driving-wise it was a capable car. Ride decent for 19 inch rims, Sport mode tightens things up as expected and makes ride choppy. Manual box felt wishy-woshy compared to a 135i for example. Also found the gear stick position to be a little too high for my liking. Reminded me of my Lotus Elise, but without the lovely positive shift character. Seating position did not feel natural - noted no electric adjustment.

Braking competant. Good initial bite, but a little over-assisted in my opinion. Not that it really matters to me.

Excellent steering wheel. However easy to accidentally push buttons on wheel when I drive at the 9 & 3 positions.

Engine was powerful - 2nd gear pulls were unexpectedly impressive. Could easily find turbo lag. Didn't have trouble with torque steer. Car is quick - with a tune it surely would rival a 135i.

Sound-wise the exhaust makes it's prescence known but is nothing to write home about. This also applies to the engine. Hints of turbo spool break the boredom. Quite frankly I didnt appreciate the sound. Cannot be compared to the N54.

All in all I won't be purchasing this car. Was looking at it as a fun daily for the other half that I would also drive. She drove it and didnt like it either. Had really high hopes after reading all the reviews. Unfortunately, didn't arouse my passions anywhere near as much as I had hoped.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

If these had come out in Australia within 6 months or so of being release everywhere else, they would have sold shitloads of them. They were FAR too late releasing them, and all the hype and excitement had gone away. I think I've seen a grand total of 3 on the road, and they really do nothing for me. VW certainly did themselves no favors by having the one at the MotorShow in snot green either.
Appreciate 0