BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
AM1N
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

A Summer at the Wilzig Racing Manor

Over the past summer, I have had the pleasure of experiencing what one would call a motorsports enthusiasts dream; Wilzig Racing Manor. There is no simple way to sum up an experience at this wonderland, but I will try to be as concise as possible. There are numerous photos – thousands of words. As the gates swing open to the 275-acre estate in upstate NY, scenic mountain views and acres of manicured grass encompass you. Just up the hill is the entrance to the 1.1 mile, 9-turn, immaculately paved circuit. The racetrack is highly technical; featuring 80 feet of elevation change, a 20 degree banked turn, and a decreasing radius hairpin. The result is the North America’s only privately owned professional grade grand-prix style circuit. Alan Wilzig (the man behind it all) designed the circuit to function bi-directional, “so you can change it all up after getting out of the pool…” adding a completely new dimension to the experience. What has this meant to me? I had the time of my life this summer.

A visit to the Manor’s Facebook page will provide you with more than enough pictures and stories of the many adventures and events experienced at this wondrous place!

https://www.facebook.com/WilzigRacingManor

https://www.facebook.com/WilzigRacing
(Fan / Racing page)

What made my stays at the Wilzig Racing Manor (WRM) so unique was the experience behind each and every day. Not many, if any place in this entire world, could so easily intertwine the exhilaration of a racetrack with the relaxation of a salt-water pool, a lake with jet-skis, or Polaris RZR rides through forest trails, all on the same property.

A normal day here involves much more than some “track time,” followed by an adrenaline-crash quiet drive home. After waking up to breathtaking views of the lake and waterfall, I am greeted to a delicious homemade breakfast by Mr. Wilzig’s wonderful wife and chef. Post shoving your face with food, it’s time for a little warm up: taking the kids out on what we like to call a “rhino ride,” on one of the Polaris RZRs’. After about an hour of riding through acres and acres of perfectly sculpted trails and flat plains, it’s finally time to hit the track. Before hitting the track with the 1M however, we decide that it’s better to warm up on the karts. An hour passes of zipping through chicanes on karts that reach excess speeds of 85 MPH with a mere 2 inches of space between you and the pavement. We realize we are a bit more drained than we had anticipated being; the day hasn’t even started. A good way to relax: time for a Sea-Doo ride on the lake followed by a cold beer in the pool. As relaxing as it is to lounge and play with the kids in the pool, I cannot stop eyeing the 40-foot wide front-straight in the distance. I am anxious - I am sitting in this pool and a mile long racetrack is right in plain sight, so close, yet so far. Finally, it is time. The next couple of hours are the thrill of a lifetime. Since this is my first time on a racetrack, I have 400 thoughts rushing through my head on how to transfer over all my talent from Forza and Gran Turismo behind the wheel of my 1M. I am beyond excited to finally see what it was about this world-renowned BMW 1 Series M Coupe that received so much hype from car enthusiasts around the world. By 8 O’clock at night, I knew exactly what the magazines, journalist, and Jeremy Clarkson were talking about.
Never could I imagine taking a couple of laps and stopping right in the middle of the front straight listening to my coaches critique how poorly I took the apex on the last turn. We put it in reverse, went back a few hundred feet, and tried again. The sun is setting and the motorsport portion of the day is slowly coming to an end, but the fun isn’t over quite yet. It’s time to visit the most cherished places on the estate: the museum. Here, Mr. Wilzig hosts his prominent collection of over 120 motorcycles and cars.

I would not have wanted to experience my first track day / introduction to the motorsports world this summer anywhere else in the world. While individuals meet up around racetracks with their trailers, spare tires, and tools, we all know a place exists where life is a little sweeter and convenient. It took a man named Alan Wilzig to figure out how to execute it with simplicity and class. All I can do is incessantly thank him and his family for sharing their cherished getaway with friends-of-friends, such as myself.

More info on Alan and his journey during the construction of the track can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Wilzig

My favorite aerial shot of the track itself

Pumpkin spice. Starbucks aint got shit on me!

Mrs. Wilzig helping me find the best shot for the car

We did a pretty sloppy job but I'm sure you can figure it out

Just some early morning pumpkin blasting!

Cars look like ants from the treehouse, super cool to watch from there though

Post carting shot, of course photo bombed by Alan. Me on left, Dan on right (he introduced me to Alan and facilitated by stays at the manor)

Yes, it is a moving shot!

Only a portion of some gorgeous property shots

My personal tour guides

Alan's Lotus 211, such a gorgeous car

View from my bedroom

Minor breaking issue on the banking Just kidding though

Probably my favorite shot

Alan enjoying the car. He personally referred to it as "One horny little BMW"

Probably my second favorite shot

Wait I lied, this might be my favorite shot....

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Wow, that looks amazing! How long did you spend there? And where do I sign-up?!
      10-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 1M  [10.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Seriously. This is great. How does one get access?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

AM1N in Wonderland!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 1M  [10.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
How do you get in :-))
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
AM1N
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Wow, that looks amazing! How long did you spend there? And where do I sign-up?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
How do you get in :-))
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
Seriously. This is great. How does one get access?

I visited three times over the summer/early fall and stayed there for about 2 days each time I visited.

One of my best friends from college (pictured above) met Alan a couple years back and has been really close with him since. It is through him that I was invited to come up and stay at the Manor. As far as "signing up," the manor does occasionally hold charity events where people can come and showcase their cars with a donation. I consider myself EXTREMELY fortunate that I was able to stay there this summer, as it is typically an invite only visit to the WRM.

The Facebook page would be the best way to see when a potential opportunity to visit comes along. The motto: "Track time, anytime," really holds true!

Last edited by AM1N; 10-15-2013 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 1M  [10.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Great. So easiest way is to become your friend. :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
MaDoNiOn
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2008 Bmw 130i E81

Garage List
awsuuuuuuuuuuuuuum

Bmw 135i Convertable White...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

WOW you little teasing ARGGGggg! hahaha Looked like an amazing time. Hope I get to visit one day. That man is living the dream

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
octainejunkee
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 f80 Comp, MPE, stage 1

living the dream.
cheers for sharing!

Jamie
      10-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Fantastic! If I had an ass-ton of cabbage that's what I would build.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
1M SUSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 //1M Alpine White

I want in ---> sweetest sand box ever!
Appreciate 0