BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
CRYA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N55 135i

Carbon Fiber "rieger-style" ebay diffuser install?

Hey all, I just purchased a second-hand diffuser from a 1er member like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121869491703...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

From the way the owner had it installed, it looks like on two of the top tabs of the diffuser, his body shop actually removed the rear bumper cover and used a screw in two of the four diffuser tabs to secure to the bumper cover, then apparently reinstalled.

So my question is, have others found it necessary to remove the cover and use screws through the tabs into the bumper, or are you guys with this style simply using the oe locations on the bottom to screw it to the body and leaving the tabs "unsecured"? Does any of that make sense? I'm sure it will for those with this style. I'm super happy with the look, just want to know best, reasonable way to install.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #2
No Style 135is
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '90 gtr r32

I have the same diffuser but mine is gross black. I use only 3 bolts on the bottom. I have to drill the side of the rear bumper to put the bolts to make it safe.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #3
CRYA
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Style 135is View Post
I have the same diffuser but mine is gross black. I use only 3 bolts on the bottom. I have to drill the side of the rear bumper to put the bolts to make it safe.
Thanks good to know. Yes, I see on the diffuser some washer marks for the "Side" holes where it must have been attached to the edge piece you're talking about. I may drill a small hole and try a rivet approach. Should be easier than bolt/washer/nut.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 07:59 PM   #4
rcstevens
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

This is mine, but not carbon fiber. I just installed it last week. I only used the 3 screws on the bottom, like the other guy mentioned, but I drilled into the muffler side of the bumper cover for one screw because I felt it was a little loose.

Fair warning, a lot of people have stated that the CF version does not look nearly as good on the car as expected. But obviously, that's their own personal opinion and I have not ever seen the CF version.

I also had to do a LOT of trimming around the exhaust port to make my Corsa exhaust tips fit properly.

Last edited by rcstevens; 05-21-2016 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Added more info
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
CRYA
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah thanks for confirming. I too drilled the two holes in the muffler side bumper cover and that's secure. So sounds like from us no one is actually removing the cover to screw diffuser tabs on top into the cover. Should be secure. No trimming for me as the benefit of buying from someone who already had it installed it was sure to fit! I'll throw some pics up later.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
CRYA
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here's how it turned out. Sorry the light is really flat today. You can see my use of a screw and rivet technique. Rivet was a PITA. Stick with trad screws/nuts.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #7
rcstevens
Private
United_States
Rep

Looks like your exhaust cutout is a little too far to the left just like mine was, hence why I did my cutting. How large are your exhaust tips? The 3.5" Corsa tips were laying against the right side of it originally and somewhat behind it even.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
CRYA
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcstevens View Post
Looks like your exhaust cutout is a little too far to the left just like mine was, hence why I did my cutting. How large are your exhaust tips? The 3.5" Corsa tips were laying against the right side of it originally and somewhat behind it even.
AA website says the tips are 80 mm or about 3.1 inches. The pics are biased but you're right, it's not an even gap. Thank god I'm not an OCD type. It's on, it's secure, I'm happy with the appearance and price I paid, so onward to the next goal which is to finally leave cosmetic projects alone and improve the suspension!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 11:49 AM   #9
rcstevens
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYA View Post
AA website says the tips are 80 mm or about 3.1 inches. The pics are biased but you're right, it's not an even gap. Thank god I'm not an OCD type. It's on, it's secure, I'm happy with the appearance and price I paid, so onward to the next goal which is to finally leave cosmetic projects alone and improve the suspension!
Unfortunately I am very OCD about that stuff, lol! More fortunately however, I am good with a Dremel.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #10
HomeIsToronto
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcstevens View Post
This is mine, but not carbon fiber. I just installed it last week. I only used the 3 screws on the bottom, like the other guy mentioned, but I drilled into the muffler side of the bumper cover for one screw because I felt it was a little loose.

Fair warning, a lot of people have stated that the CF version does not look nearly as good on the car as expected. But obviously, that's their own personal opinion and I have not ever seen the CF version.

I also had to do a LOT of trimming around the exhaust port to make my Corsa exhaust tips fit properly.

Gorgeous tips you got there, hope fully mine will be as satisfying soon...
Appreciate 0