E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Software update for pre-September cars

11-01-2005, 07:30 AM   #23
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

You guys/gals ROCKS. :rocks: This is what I am talking about, helping our fellow e90 out.

Does anyone knows what this mean?

The setting of Personal Profile features cannot be claimed under warranty. However, if the vehicle software must be updated before retrofitting these features, this is covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

I found this in the S I B 09 03 05.

Last edited by txusa03; 11-01-2005 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 08:52 AM   #24
mBechara
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325I Idrive

Hi guys, now my pre-September production car is being updated with software CIP 19. So my question is how this retrofitting affects me? I should have asked my dealer to retrofit this function or it is too late?.

Many Thanks
      11-01-2005, 09:03 AM   #25
txusa03
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncalguy
If you read the PDF that is available with 09 03 05, you will see that the E90 indeed is capable of allowing the user to set all the features we have been complaining about. I am optimistic that a software update is in the works and that we will eventually be able to modify the DDLs, DRLs, C&K memory, etc via the OBC stalk just like our post-Sept. bretheren.
Sorry my friend, but I read in the SIB 09 03 98 that only e90 car produced from 9/05 on will have the user programming features. e90 cars produced BEFORE 09/05 are SOL. Could someone confirm that I am reading the SIB correctly. Here is a quote from it.

SITUATION
For all E90 models there is no more CKM available. All the functions known as CKM will be customer selectable on vehicles produced from 9/05 on. The new system is called Personal Profile. Additional information about Personal Profile is available in SBT 00 08 04 and SI B09 03 05.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 09:50 AM   #26
mishenka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Txusa03,
I think what you quoted simply means that what used to be known as CarKeyMemory will be know as PersonalProfile starting 9/05 production. I would not assume that it means that cars prior 09/05 production will not have BOTH – Personal Profile AND CarKeyMemory. It just does not make sense.

At the same time it is clearly stated in another document – SIB090305 that:
On pre-9/05 cars some of the personal profile functions cannot be set
1. CKM(Car and Key Memory) is not available in CIP for E90 (3 series).
2. On vehicles produced up to 9/05, some of the Personal Profile functions cannot be set:
than goes short list of those function

Than it explains the reason behind it:
1. For all E90 models, all the functions previously known as CKM will be customer selectable and known as "Personal Profile". This means that the settings can no longer be set in CKM using CIP.
I believe it means that those functions cannot be changed by the dealer using CIP (Coding/Individualization/Programming). And obviously according to the paragraph above also are missing in user selectable Personal Profile. So basically neither you nor dealer can set or change those function. At this moment you might think –ok… I am screwed

But wait. Read next paragraph. It states that this situation can be corrected:
2. The missing functions can be activated using the "Retrofits" function using CIP 18.01 or higher. Refer to the "Retrofits" section in SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Individualization, Programming) for the full retrofits procedure.

Plus, remember the beginning if this thread – I called BMW customer service and the rep told me in a human voice that IT IS possible to enable those functions on pre-September cars.

Northerncalguy – Thank you very much for finding the links to these documents. YOU ARE THE MAN
Mike
      11-01-2005, 10:59 AM   #27
txusa03
Major General
Rep

mishenka, thanks for the break down. My next question (I guess for the dealer) is are they going to charge me for the "retrofit".

I also don't think it would be cost effective if the pre sept cars have a different comp hardware unit. I think all e90 have the same comp hardware unit. Just that BMW does not have time to test those ODC interface features so they shipped the car first with that inteface disabled and allow their software engineers continue to write/modified the software to interface with the OBC. Did my explaination makes any sense?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #28
northerncalguy
Throw your hands in the air, if you's a true playa.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2014 435i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
mishenka, thanks for the break down. My next question (I guess for the dealer) is are they going to charge me for the "retrofit".

I also don't think it would be cost effective if the pre sept cars have a different comp hardware unit. I think all e90 have the same comp hardware unit. Just that BMW does not have time to test those ODC interface features so they shipped the car first with that inteface disabled and allow their software engineers continue to write/modified the software to interface with the OBC. Did my explaination makes any sense?
I am glad you guys find all of this stuff useful. The real question is: will any of it help us resolve our difficulties?

To answer your question regarding paying for the "retrofit". I would NOT pay for any software updates, regardless of what the TSB or any service rep says. The fact of the matter is us pre 9/5 build customers have a strong case to make against BMWNA because we are all missing functionality that would otherwise be available to us. These TSBs acknowledge the missing features and we should hold them accountable to it.
      11-01-2005, 11:36 AM   #29
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
i think i know what you mean. our E90s were sort of the "appetizer" while the cooks were making the "entree".

the question will be if there will be enough people that know what they are missing and complain to BMW to get the proper software in their cars. Honestly, aside from all of us, who really knows what they are missing?
      11-01-2005, 11:36 AM   #30
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I sure would like to hear E90Fleet chime in on this one. He's like a cop... never around when you need him.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 11:38 AM   #31
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
^^lol
      11-01-2005, 11:39 AM   #32
northerncalguy
Throw your hands in the air, if you's a true playa.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2014 435i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP
I sure would like to hear E90Fleet chime in on this one. He's like a cop... never around when you need him.
Yep, lets wait for E90Fleet -- he's in So. Africa though, time zones!
      11-01-2005, 11:40 AM   #33
kierangu
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Can anyone generate a list of the features that pre-September 325i's don't have? It's easier when talking to the dealer with such list.
      11-01-2005, 11:46 AM   #34
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Hmmm... let's see. Assuming NO update has been applied:

1. Not able to set DRL choice.
2. Not able to set any auto-locking / central locking options.
3. Not able to set key memory functions (personal profile) to recall seat/mirror positions.
4. Not able to set unlocking options.
5. Bluetooth software is lacking the Priority option to help manage multiple phones.
6. Not able to set headlight "pathway lighting" options.

Those are the ones off the top of my head. Right now #5 is causing me the most pain.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #35
kierangu
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

LEDZEP,

I did an update last month (not sure about the ver. #). I'm not sure about changes of the rest five items, but there were definite changes in the bluetooth. The auto pairing with my Seimens S65 is much more reliable. Not sure about the priority list thing cause I only have one cellphone.
      11-01-2005, 04:56 PM   #36
Red Baron
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

First, thanks to everyone on this thread for the information. Second, sorry if this post is too long.

I am currently waiting on delivery of my car and am trying to get some of the options set before I take delivery. I have a couple of questions I am sure that collectively you guys can answer.

1. What are the various software options that can be set? Not just the ones that pre-Sept cars are getting cheated out of.

2. Since my car is not I-drive, what will I be able to set and what will the dealer have to set?

So far my CA and my SA have been of little help. I sent the following email to BMWUSA through OC today and will post any response for everyone. Thanks in advance.

I am currently waiting for delivery of my car. I want to have the status of various software options already set when I take delivery. Examples include; day time running lights, auto door locks, comfort access unlock, etc... Since my car will not have I-drive, my understanding is that these option have to be set by a service tech. I have spoken to both my Client Advisor and my Service Advisor about the possibility of a check sheet that shows what software options are available and how I would like the options set. Neither person is aware of any type of list. My Service Advisor suggested that I check the manual for what options are available and to have the Client Advisor make sure they were set before I take delivery. Since I do not yet have my car and the manual is not available online, this is not a valid option for me. Please respond with any information that you may have available and consider this email a sugestion for adding such a list to the ordering process. I am sure even people with I-drive would like to know what the various options are out there and to maybe have them set to their preferences when they receive their cars. By the way, so far my BMW experience is no where near a 5.
      11-01-2005, 05:09 PM   #37
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Red Baron: Since your car is Post-September, you will be able to set all these things from the OBC stalk: DRL, Auto-locking options, Key memory, Chirp or no chirp when locking, Pathway lighting, etc. Our E91 was a September build and has all these functions. The manual, when you finally get it, does a nice job of showing each function and how to set them to your preferences. In short, you don't need the SA to program anything for you.

Hope that helps, but it's really a shame that your dealership doesn't know this stuff.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2005, 11:28 PM   #38
Aabid
330i Jet Black/Beige Interior with Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Steptronics, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access
Rep
Drives: 330i & X3

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Red Baron: Since your car is Post-September, you will be able to set all these things from the OBC stalk: DRL, Auto-locking options, Key memory, Chirp or no chirp when locking, Pathway lighting, etc. Our E91 was a September build and has all these functions. The manual, when you finally get it, does a nice job of showing each function and how to set them to your preferences. In short, you don't need the SA to program anything for you.

Hope that helps, but it's really a shame that your dealership doesn't know this stuff.
You mentioned chirp or no chirp when locking. Mine is post-september, but no where in the menu i could find the chirp option. I have Idrive.
      11-02-2005, 07:15 AM   #39
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
I could be wrong on the chirp, but I thought I saw that. I'll look again.

E90Fleet - would really like your opinion regarding the information provided by northerncalguy and the retrofit topic. I'd like to ask my SA to do this.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 08:32 AM   #40
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi LEDZEP, sorry ive been a bit busy the last few days.

Im not 100% shure what you would like me to answer

Is it wether pre-september cars will ever get the post september functions ?

I know they were working on this, but had hardware issues to overcome.
I have a occasional contact in the programme compling department, but they cannot say much since they have secracy agreements. Ill see if he can give me any update, but it may take a few days to hear from him. Also euro and usa features being different sometimes confuse things.

I have heard that CIP 20.0 will have some functionality upgrade for pre-september cars ( MP3 seems to be one, but no confirmation yet )

One thing to remember is they always add things to the cars to keep them "fresh", and they dont have to add those features to earlier cars that wernt advertised to have those features, but they try their best to add them if they can.

Take the 5 Series for example, pre MY2006 non-Idrive cars didint have pro radio standard so could play MP3, MY2006 cars standard features were upgraded to include pro-radio and they can now play MP3. BMW doesnt have to upgrade pre-2006 cars for free, since those cars were never advertised as having MP3.

I can tell you now March cars will have a few changes, and there is no reason BMW has to upgrade pre march 2006 cars to that standard.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 08:58 AM   #41
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Thanks E90Fleet. I guess I'm not so much looking for someone to just tell me what I want to hear (tempting as that is), but just to better better armed with knowledge. I certainly understand that no product manufacturer should be expected to constantly retrofit products to updated features. That would just be silly.

I'm not even so concerned with the "settings" so much, since I would rarely want to change what I had them set in terms of key memory. An update to the bluetooth software would be very nice, since I cannot prioritize phones, etc. But if the Personal Profile things could be added, I would certainly do it.

When I took delivery in June I was told that some features weren't ready yet and would be around September. I consider the "new" software features in the September built cars to be a fulfillment of what was unfinished in May, and I admit that I feel a sense of entitlement.

I appreciate your thoughts on the subject. You have a good objective way of looking at things - which I often do not.

P.S. Congrats on breaking 2,000!

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 09:40 AM   #42
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:

P.S. Congrats on breaking 2,000!
Thanks
I see you are not far behind.

Im really hoping they will add a number of things to the older cars over the next few updates.

Best to just sit back, relax and see what happens
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 09:45 AM   #43
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
I can tell you now March cars will have a few changes, and there is no reason BMW has to upgrade pre march 2006 cars to that standard.

Hmm...any ideas on what?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #44
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA
Hmm...any ideas on what?
To early to tell

But as i have said before euro cars may get Direct injection engines ( please note this is a big may )
Appreciate 0