BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-25-2014, 10:44 PM   #23
pj.rodriguez
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Rear bike rack. I have it too!
2008 128i E88 / Alpine White / Boston Leather Sport / 6AT / M3 Paddle Shifters / Bilstein B8 / H&R Springs / Dinan Fixed Camber Plates / BMW 335i Front Brakes / PIAA Xtreme White 4150K Angel Eyes / Rear Fogs Enabled / Cyba Air Scoops / Euro Airbox / BMW Performance Exhaust / Stubby BMW Antenna
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 11:34 PM   #24
Huecifer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
Roof rack has obvious problems for serious bikers, difficult to load/unload, wind resistance, beating the bikes up, chance for disaster. Maybe a winner for some folks, but doesn't qualify for FTW.
I'd guess most "serious" cyclists are fit enough to lift their bike up to the roof of the car, especially considering that most serious riders spend money/effort making their bikes as light as possible. Also, I'd take the slim chance at a few rock chips to the skinny front end of my bike on the roof over a minor rear-end fender bender turning into a very, very expensive proposition ANY day.

How else are rear racks better for "serious" cyclists?

Have once been a "serious" cyclist, I always was sketched out about putting my bike friends' rickety-ass rear racks. And my father is easily the most serious non-professional cyclist I know (commutes to work every day, amateur races, and a century ride on his 60th birthday!), and he'd disassemble his bike before putting it on a rear rack, or just ride it to wherever he was going.

It makes sense for convertibles, out of a lack of any other option.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 12:21 AM   #25
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbrowed View Post
Dingdingding, we have a winner. Bike rack it is..

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212901

Seems like a lot of work for the retrofit, would just rather use a roof rack myself.
I don't think that a roof rack is a practical choice for that convertible
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #26
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huecifer View Post
I'd guess most "serious" cyclists are fit enough to lift their bike up to the roof of the car, especially considering that most serious riders spend money/effort making their bikes as light as possible. Also, I'd take the slim chance at a few rock chips to the skinny front end of my bike on the roof over a minor rear-end fender bender turning into a very, very expensive proposition ANY day.

How else are rear racks better for "serious" cyclists?

Have once been a "serious" cyclist, I always was sketched out about putting my bike friends' rickety-ass rear racks. And my father is easily the most serious non-professional cyclist I know (commutes to work every day, amateur races, and a century ride on his 60th birthday!), and he'd disassemble his bike before putting it on a rear rack, or just ride it to wherever he was going.

It makes sense for convertibles, out of a lack of any other option.
Matter of taste, I suppose. I'll warrant my view is a majority.

The 1up is the very opposite of "rickety". All metal.

Here's more info, with a couple of quotes.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/1up-usa-bike-rack-review

"For a bike rack, a hitch mount unit is the best solution. It is out of harm’s way from low garage roofs and overhangs. It is much more quiet than a roof rack since it doesn’t whistle or roar with the wind. And most important, it doesn’t degrade your fuel mileage."

" At first glance, it looks like a science project as the whole unit looks CNC’d and the bike retention mechanism looks unlike any we’ve seen before. But as we used it extensively, we learned about the logic behind the design. We took a look at the user reviews on Mtbr and it exhibited a staggering 4.8/5 stars with 96 reviews."

Those reviews.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/...196_98crx.aspx

"Bottom Line:
Best rack on the market and I've owned both Saris hitch and trunk mounted racks along with three different Yakima roof racks."

"Expensive? Yes. The easiest rack on the planet? Yes. You get what you pay for with this product."

"This rack is for those who want the ultimate in ease of use and high quality."

"The last rack I'll ever buy" is a common comment. Find me a roof rack that gets this kind of love.

Last edited by 128Convertibleguy; 11-27-2014 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #27
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Buy a bigger car. I put the top down and put my Scotts in the back seat with my Zipps in the front.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #28
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisapimp View Post
Buy a bigger car. I put the top down and put my Scotts in the back seat with my Zipps in the front.
I put the top down & put the rear wheel behind the passenger's seat (road bike only). No need for disassembly. If the weather's not nice enough to put the top down then it's probably not nice enough to ride in.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #29
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I don't think that a roof rack is a practical choice for that convertible
DING DING DING DING!!!!!!
Appreciate 0