BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
gbic
Registered
Rep
Drives: Hopefull 135i owner

Intro thread

Hi guys, figured I would introduce myself since I figure I will be lurking around these forums and hopefully asking some questions (I will search first lol).

The reason I joined this site was to gather as much information about this platform as I could before I help my father look for a 135i himself. I'm eighteen and would be letting my dad trade my car in (Mazda 3... yeah i know chick car) to help with the down payment. He is basically looking for a DD that he will only use around town and several trips here and there (we have a '98 Lexus es300 with 180k for commutes). I've been into cars for a while now but wasn't allowed to mod at all (pointless on my slow auto car as is) so I hope to learn a lot about this platform and whatever cheap car i decide to purchase for myself. We will start looking in late Feb. early March for a used (preferably CPO) 135i and I was thinking about getting myself into either an old miata (again chick car...) or, if I can get the job I am hoping for over the summer and make a decent amount, a Mazdaspeed 3 or 6 (open to anyone's suggestions on this as well. basically want a car I can really learn how to properly drive with).

A few little things about myself are in order I guess... Like i said I am 18, I play college hockey (just club), and really hope I can get a taste of the Bimmer world through my dad and see if i can buy the car off him in a few years?

Overall I am really excited to learn a lot about the platform and hopefully enjoy driving the car some day soon.

My biggest question right now is this... My dad has no problem with a manual car, but I have never driven one. Do you guys think we should go DCT on the Bimmer and I can get a stick for myself or would we both miss out on the connection with a car as awesome as the 135i?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
Nishan
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2012 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I 2nd that. DCT on the 135 is better and faster than the manual. I have driven both and currently own a DCT....lovin it.

You still need to learn and enjoy a manual car though....so, make sure your car is manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
gbic
Registered
Rep
Drives: Hopefull 135i owner

Well looks like we will be looking at manuals then... My dad wanted to get something used as we will also be getting my mom a new car (replacing a shit xc90). I'll have to do some research on the 09-10 models and their trannies then. But that's just more reason to convince my dad to get a stick.

As for me, I will be learning as soon as I possibly can. More than likely on whatever car I get. Good news for me is that I understand the concepts and have been researching how to drive a manual and how they work for a while so I have that going for me. As far as a car for me I would love the Miata. Only problem is that I may need a car that can take myself and a few guys to and from hockey in chitown so that could be a problem. I'll just bring my bag and sticks when I go look at one to see if it will fit. Lol.
Appreciate 0