BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #23
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Get a manual transmission! They are becoming endangered. If we all do your part we can save them.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #24
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

You know, that was actually an item that we considered in our decision! Seriously! And we got that idea from the M boss interview concerning the 1M. In an interview aired on Bimmerfile, he mentioned this very thing! And we took it to heart! He said that as long as our customers request it, we will build it.
      01-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #25
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

OP. Good write up. I prefer the feel of the 135i Manual over the manuals I extensively tested in the E39 M5 and the E46 M3. I have driven the DCT in both the M3 and 335is and I thought it was fantastic, but if I get dct in a future car will I get manual trans envy two months after I but it?
I am weighing the DCT/Manual debate for a future E9x M purchase and I have driven both trans for the M3.
I think if I can afford to hold onto the 135 when I get the M, I will get the DCT. Thus having both trans in the stable.
I dunno, life is hard. Please keep offering both though BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #26
gmartan
GB
Canary Islands
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
I am a 2011 135i DCT owner.

The only "dead spot" you should feel is on initial take off in 1st gear from a dead stop. The car will lag, because the clutches are activating to start the car in motion. From there, the only reason you may experience a dead spot is because you are in the wrong gear and wrong RPM for what you want to do. Make sure the car is in full manual mode with sport mode on. Play around with the gear shifting until you get used to it. Even though it is an automatic transmission, the gear selection and shift points are very similar to a manual transmission and if you are not in the right gear or RPM then you may feel the car bog down.
I don't think that's it since it also happens when you take your foot off the gas in traffic then resume with the same pedal pressure. No gear change shown, just that delay before the engine starts to pull again. After a second has passed the engine surges forward. This is less of a problem in full sport mode but it should not exist in any mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #27
RPB
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i conv

I've had the E36 manual and E46 manual. Loved the former, hatted the latter. I think BMW really did diservice to the MT enthusiast. Went wit the auto. for the 135. I recommend driving them before making a decision.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #28
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmartan View Post
I don't think that's it since it also happens when you take your foot off the gas in traffic then resume with the same pedal pressure. No gear change shown, just that delay before the engine starts to pull again. After a second has passed the engine surges forward. This is less of a problem in full sport mode but it should not exist in any mode.
You are correct, in normal drive mode with sport off it does hesitate when you are in traffic and lift your foot off the gas and then press the gas again, because when you lift your foot off the gas the clutches deactivate in a neutral mode and/or sometimes the transmission downshifts, just like a manual transmission where if you lift your foot off the gas you would depress the clutch preparing to stop or change gears. Normal drive mode with sport off is when you want to have a nice smooth ride. The DCT is an electrohydraulically actuated transmission, where the hydraulics control the clutch rather than your left foot. So, the car is basically doing for you what you would typically have to do if it were manual.

To combat that affect, and give you more control/sense of control, put the transmission in drive mode and turn sport on. You should notice a significant change in throttle response. If you don't right away, then go down the road with sport off at a constant speed, and then as you are traveling at that constant speed with your foot on the gas turn sport on, and you will feel the difference in the gas pedal. Sport mode, as far as throttle response, increases the fuel and air mixture, hence increasing how quickly power is supplied to the wheels from your foot pressing the gas.

To give yourself even better throttle response, switch to manual mode with sport on. The trick is to always try to keep the RPM at or around 2 grand when you are just coasting with your foot off the gas. That means you will have to downshift, like you would with a manual, to get to that RPM. This will allow you to get the full power immediately when you press the gas again. Also when you downshift you will get that cool rev-matching exhaust note
      01-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #29
gmartan
GB
Canary Islands
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
You are correct, in normal drive mode with sport off it does hesitate when you are in traffic and lift your foot off the gas and then press the gas again, because when you lift your foot off the gas the clutches deactivate in a neutral mode and/or sometimes the transmission downshifts, just like a manual transmission where if you lift your foot off the gas you would depress the clutch preparing to stop or change gears. Normal drive mode with sport off is when you want to have a nice smooth ride. The DCT is an electrohydraulically actuated transmission, where the hydraulics control the clutch rather than your left foot. So, the car is basically doing for you what you would typically have to do if it were manual.

To combat that affect, and give you more control/sense of control, put the transmission in drive mode and turn sport on. You should notice a significant change in throttle response. If you don't right away, then go down the road with sport off at a constant speed, and then as you are traveling at that constant speed with your foot on the gas turn sport on, and you will feel the difference in the gas pedal. Sport mode, as far as throttle response, increases the fuel and air mixture, hence increasing how quickly power is supplied to the wheels from your foot pressing the gas.

To give yourself even better throttle response, switch to manual mode with sport on. The trick is to always try to keep the RPM at or around 2 grand when you are just coasting with your foot off the gas. That means you will have to downshift, like you would with a manual, to get to that RPM. This will allow you to get the full power immediately when you press the gas again. Also when you downshift you will get that cool rev-matching exhaust note
I've been playing with the variables but the only way to power through a turn is in full manual, using the floor shifter, since you can't reach the paddle shifters with the wheel turned. The problem I have with pulling away from a stop is that at first nothing happens and then you get that big surge of power. It would be nice if it just reacted appropriately to the pedal input just like any other manual or automatic I have owned.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #30
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

It never ends. Constant bashing of the DCT by non DCT owners.

Iv'e got 13k miles on the DCT and still love it. Haven't driven a stick since then, and yes I do miss it. I do plan on getting an M-car with a stick as a daily driver/track/clubbing/cheap insurance car to keep the miles off the new car. I have to have both.

The slush box should only be purchased for the wife. The new ones are much better and they serve a purpose, but not for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #31
jameselee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Gray 135i

I have to agree; this manual transmission is really nice! I have the BMW Performance shift knob/boot, and I really like the feel of the knob, but I've been increasingly happy with the feel of the entire shifting mechanism. I drove an '02 S2000 for 3 years, then an '05 for the next 3, so I was pretty spoiled -- many say that is among the best shift feel in production cars -- but I think the 135 is very close!

Apropos #1; I was going to buy the SSK, but then heard some mention around here that the 2011 was pretty short in stock form. It's certainly short enough for my taste that I'm glad I didn't spend more to get the SSK.

As for #3, I didn't notice that about the revs hanging; I'll have to check it out!

One big issue I've had to overcome; I thought it was locking me out/being notchy when trying to do an aggressive/fast downshift from 3rd to 2nd, and it took a while to figure out what was happening. It turns out that I was pushing the knob over too far to the left, and hitting the gate used for reverse, which of course goes nowhere if you try to pull it down/back. I've only ever driven Honda/Acura before, and all the 6-speeds had reverse on the far right, so I could be as fast/rough as I wanted going into 2nd.

Now that I understand what was happening, it's not a problem, but it was concerning me for a while.

I'm sure the DCT is faster and all, and I know people seem to like to argue back and forth about that. For me, it's not about the speed of shifting; it's about being more directly involved in the process of driving/shifting. And on that note, doing a heel-toe downshift is really easy and fun in this car!

(BTW, I'm well past break-in now, and I have to say, holy cow this car has a lot of thrust!)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #32
jameselee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Gray 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
It never ends. Constant bashing of the DCT by non DCT owners.
I don't think anyone is bashing the DCT, just saying that the MT is great.

I drove a DCT M3 at an M-Power Tour event, and it was indeed very nice. I'm really glad the option exists for those who don't want/can't get a manual. I think the DCT is excellent for what it is, and way beyond any of the automatic/"sport-shift" transmissions I've ever driven.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #33
Agent P
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameselee View Post
...One big issue I've had to overcome; I thought it was locking me out/being notchy when trying to do an aggressive/fast downshift from 3rd to 2nd, and it took a while to figure out what was happening. It turns out that I was pushing the knob over too far to the left, and hitting the gate used for reverse, which of course goes nowhere if you try to pull it down/back. I've only ever driven Honda/Acura before, and all the 6-speeds had reverse on the far right, so I could be as fast/rough as I wanted going into 2nd.

Now that I understand what was happening, it's not a problem, but it was concerning me for a while....
Same thing here. Coming from a MT RSX with reverse on the right side. You could just pull it all the way to the left putting it into 1st, 1st to 2nd, or 3rd to 2nd. I'm constantly having to re-shift 1st because I'm worried I accidently put it in reverse. This is my first German car and I've only had it about 3 weeks, so I'm sure it's something I'll get used to. Other than that, the MT is great. Thought I'd be a little rusty after 4-5 months with an AT loaner, but it was very easy to get right in and pick up where I left off. The throws on the '11 are pretty short, and the clutch is light. I test drove the DCT and it was lightning quick and really smooth. I remember getting on it while going down an on-ramp and my SA goes, "look at what gear you're in." Looked down and couldn't believe I was already in 7th. Was pretty impressed. That being said, I just prefer rowing my own. Gives me something to do and makes me feel more involved while driving. As others have said, can't go wrong either way.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #34
HISI808
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent P View Post
Same thing here. Coming from a MT RSX with reverse on the right side. You could just pull it all the way to the left putting it into 1st, 1st to 2nd, or 3rd to 2nd. I'm constantly having to re-shift 1st because I'm worried I accidently put it in reverse. This is my first German car and I've only had it about 3 weeks, so I'm sure it's something I'll get used to. Other than that, the MT is great. Thought I'd be a little rusty after 4-5 months with an AT loaner, but it was very easy to get right in and pick up where I left off. The throws on the '11 are pretty short, and the clutch is light. I test drove the DCT and it was lightning quick and really smooth. I remember getting on it while going down an on-ramp and my SA goes, "look at what gear you're in." Looked down and couldn't believe I was already in 7th. Was pretty impressed. That being said, I just prefer rowing my own. Gives me something to do and makes me feel more involved while driving. As others have said, can't go wrong either way.
Ditto. I am also coming from a MT Civic Si and have encountered the same issue. I'm afraid of accidently putting it into reverse. Also, this is my first German car as well.
Appreciate 0