BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

Time to Decde...P Zero or DW

Thursday, my 128 goes back on insurance, and out of storage, where it's been since 12/1.

My neighborhood mechanic/friend graciously stores it for me, and refuses to take any money for the favor.

As the 1er does need new tires, I will obviously buy the tires from my friend. He does deal with Tire Rack, so, I can get anything that is available from them.

I've narrowed it down to replacing the OEM P Zero RFTs, or going with the Conti DW, and picking up a Comfort Kit.

The DWs are $250 less expensive, though the price of the Comfort Kit actually makes it about a $175 difference.

I'm going to let my friend know my decision in the morning. Right now, I'm leaning toward the DWs.

Anyone who wants to chime in has the rest of the evening to do so......
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

False.

P Zero RFT will be your best RFT... but that's not all that great
Conti DW's are awful. They're really bad. Imagine driving on jello. That's how soft the sidewalls are. I have a set. I replaced them after 3k because they were that bad. Don't make the same mistake.

Correct:

You live in Central PA according to your tag, which means snow and ice in the winter. Get the Conti DWS if you want an all season. If you're looking at a summer tire get Dunlop Star Specs or Michelin Pilot Super Sports or RE11's or Hankook S3's or Nittos. Basically any tire is better than the DW's. They really are the worst money I've spent on my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Michelin Super Sports if you don't track it, best street tire I've ever owned, but the front tires started chunking from track use.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

i have the DWS tires in 225/40/18 and 255/35/18. the steering in my car is non existent. The days of swift lane changes are just a memory now. The good part would be that you can actually accelerate in the wet without the traction control coming on every second and you can actually pull off pretty strong while launching with these tires. Oh and the last good thing i can say about the DWS is that it is really really comfortable. The days of my inner body parts cringing together like a vice grip while approaching a bump is a distant memory too.

All in all, i cant wait to put my stock runflats on and swing the wheel. i love steering response and cant wait to feel that responsiveness again. I will eventually get the PSS tires since they seem to be the superior to most tires. I hope that the PSS tire can come close to the steering response of the stock runflats.
      02-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicker View Post
Michelin Super Sports if you don't track it, best street tire I've ever owned, but the front tires started chunking from track use.
Agree completely, but I'm not on a stock suspension. The PSS's have amazing dry grip, nearly as good wet grip, and they are quiet as well... Go figure? The sidewalls are firm, but no where close to the RFTs. If you are on 18s, you'll need to go with a 225/255 setup since the PSSs don't come in a 215 for the front.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
MrBimmer
Rated M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

If you are on 18s, you'll need to go with a 225/255 setup since the PSSs don't come in a 215 for the front.[/QUOTE]

This is inaccurate, the PSS now come in 215 now on tirerack currently $282 a pop for all stock sizes
      03-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBimmer View Post
If you are on 18s, you'll need to go with a 225/255 setup since the PSSs don't come in a 215 for the front.
This is inaccurate, the PSS now come in 215 now on tirerack currently $282 a pop for all stock sizes[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Good to know.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
Phlonx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB F82 M4

Wwwooowww i disagree with the assesment of the Contis. Ive had them and they were super grippy, virtually rain proof and lasted a decent amount if time. Not to mention they have awesome reviews everywhere. I haven't had 100 tires to compare them to but at this point they're my top pick as far as value and performance
      03-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

The DWS? Those tires are like ice skates compared to the michelins, the DW are better but not in the same leauge.

I would take the DW over the pirelli RFT's though.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
Phlonx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB F82 M4

Yeah im talking about his original post regarding DW, not DWS. I live in FL
      03-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

The DW tires (not the DWS) are currently sitting at my friend/mechanic's garage.

I should have the Conti Comfort kit on my porch in the morning, at which time the 1er will be getting new tires. Then, it goes to an alignment shop nearby.

All in the same day, all within 1/2 mile of my apartment. Nice to have quality car people around. Gotta love living in a small town, at least sometimes.

Yeah, I went with non-runflats. If it doesn't work, then a lesson learned.

Sorry for the late post. We got the 1er out of my friend's garage early this evening, then we both went to have a few beverages, and a fun evening.

Thanks to all who looked/posted.

Moe
Appreciate 0