BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
61etype
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i, X5 50i, 1M, Z4MC

Install Kerscher Splitter

I recently installed a Kerscher splitter on my 135i

Before I decided to purchase and install the splitter I searched 1addicts for information.

I found a few posts but there seemed to be conflicting information.
The main question was if the splitter could be installed without drilling the bumper cover. I would have liked to avoid drilling my bumper cover, however I found that if the splitter was only installed using the existing bumper cover screws or even 3m red tape, I doubt it would hold up to the forces of higher speed & would most likely come loose, fall off.

I strongly suggest that you follow the Kerscher suggested install, I also found that you can do a cleaner job by removing the bumper cover, then reinstall it with the splitter already attached.

I have included a few pictures – hopefully these will help if you are considering installing this splitter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
You left out the most important picture... Of it on the car!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
61etype
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Installed Pictures

I figured there are lots of pictures of the Kerscher splitter installed - but here are a few more - I am proud of how it looks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
MIAblu1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Monaco Blue 135i

love it... i want one for my Lemans blue 1, I think it's going to look awesome with my carbon spoiler. Congrats
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
Looking good! I have the same lip, I was wondering if your bottoming out all the time like me?
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 03:27 AM   #6
NORAGRETS
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
i love this...and hate you for introducing me to this tuning company...i now want to do front and rear bumpers and front lip...ahhhh it never ends does it?

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #7
NORAGRETS
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
looks sick BTW, good choice. whats the quality like? any bubbles or inconsistent weaves?

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Well it is definitely fixed strong... Nice look
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
AKopp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

I installed mine without taking off the bumper. Bolt a few up to the existing holes and then mark the bumper. Drill, bolt, all good. Mine's super solid, no tape either.
2009 135i - SG/Coral - 19" Alufelgen SF-71 - ST Coilovers - Cobb Stage 2+ - AR Downpipes - Berk Sport Exhaust - Active Autowerke Charge Pipe - AMS FMIC - AFE DCI - LUX V3 Angel Eyes - LCI Blacklines - Active Autowerke Strut Tower Brace - BMW Performance CF Spoiler - Kerscher Carbon Splitter - Scopian CF Diffuser - MusicarNW Level 2
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Definitely a good idea to use all the mounting hardware. Mine has stayed strong at 220km/h, although you could see it bending in some photos.

I did something different and painted mine gloss black (as well as my stock diffuser) as I had no other CF parts on my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
61etype
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhill19 View Post
looks sick BTW, good choice. whats the quality like? any bubbles or inconsistent weaves?
This is the first CF component I have purchased - so I don't have anything to compare it to. However quality seems good. No bubbles, and the "weaves" were all very uniform except for a very small part ( <1" ) - which depended on the angle you looked and was towards the back of the splitter (not visible when installed)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #12
61etype
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebulb View Post
Looking good! I have the same lip, I was wondering if your bottoming out all the time like me?
I am very careful with steep driveways and speed bumps so I have not had a problem with bottoming out. Wondering how the splitter holds up when this happens ?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #13
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
I'm quite careful as well but it happens. So far its been ok. I found a couple of chips but nothing too noticeable. I starting to think due to the increased weight the cabriolet sits lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61etype View Post
I am very careful with steep driveways and speed bumps so I have not had a problem with bottoming out. Wondering how the splitter holds up when this happens ?
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by litebulb View Post
I'm quite careful as well but it happens. So far its been ok. I found a couple of chips but nothing too noticeable. I starting to think due to the increased weight the cabriolet sits lower.
Even on stock M-Sport I swear my Vert sat lower to the ground than the Coupe. No idea if that’s actually true, but anecdotally it sure looked lower. I want this lip so badly, but DC streets + Coilovers will = broken. Ugh.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 07:09 AM   #15
61etype
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Additional Questions & Answers

I recently received a few questions on how to install the splitter. Below are the Questions & Answers:

My question to you is, that why you left 7 holes open, so that you can screw it against the bumper(1st photo)?

Yes the holes used to screw the bumper cover / splitter to the front of the car. They are identified as the “B” holes in the instructions. Note: in the third picture I posted, you can see two holes in the bumper cover which do not have corresponding holes drilled in the splitter. I believe you will also need to drill these holes, on each side, (I did) in order to mount the splash guards. Also I needed to trim a few inches off the center end of each splash guard in order to allow them to lay flat between the splitter and the bumper cover. Not sure it is worth all the extra effort to maintain the splash guards. I believe the instructions assume that they will be removed.

Did you use the original screw or got longer threads? I would imagine you will need something longer, because you have lip, splash guard, and bumper.

Most of the screws are original – however I believe I did need to buy a couple longer ones where the splash guards were mounted. In the second picture you can see silver colored screws these were longer to hold the splash guards (I believe), the black screws are original bumper cover screws.

My 2nd question is when removing the bumper, did you loosing up the splash guard, but did not remove the whole thing? Do the wind defectors come off too?

There are a few posts (1addicts or just Google it)which explain how to remove the bumper cover. It is not that bad – If I remember correctly I removed all the screws on the bottom of the bumper cover, two screws under each fender, and a few screws on the top of the cover – under the hood. Hopefully you can find a good set of instructions with pictures – I know I did when I did it. (just do not have the link anymore)

And lastly, I noticed on your 2nd photo. One of the bolts is visible (corner). I would imagine if the bolt is underneath the lip, it would be easier to remove the lip, instead of removing the whole bumper take the lip out. Any reason why the bolt is visible?

I needed to have that bolt going down because it interfered with the plastic wheel well cover (inside the fender) , if it was mounted going up like the rest of the bolts. I actually used a shorter bolt than what was provided so it would not stick out / be visible. I guess you could have all bolts going down and it might make it easier to remove. However, removing the bumper cover it not that difficult and I felt it was a cleaner install.

BTW – unfortunately you will probably end up scraping the splitter ( I am very careful and still scraped it) – to touch it up – I actually used a wide black sharpie and kind of blended the touch up with a damp cloth ….works fairly well.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 11:37 AM   #16
61etype
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Questions on install

So when you removed the bumper, how did you mount the lip? Did you put the bumper on the ground and line the lip?

I first pre-drilled the holes as marked on the splitter. Removed the bumper cover carefully placed it upside down on a blanket (careful not to scratch it). Also be careful not to over flex the bumper cover it could crack the paint if flexed too much. My son helped me hold the bumper cover while I positioned the splitter and drilled corresponding holes in the bumper cover. As I drilled each hole I placed a bolt in the hole to keep the splitter in place. After I was done drilling the holes - I placed the bumper cover & splitter right side-up on a couple of home depot buckets so I could tighten each bolt/nut.

I want to keep the splash guard on bease in ohio we get all kinds of weather. Did you keep your wind defector and guard on?

I did not permanently remove any parts when installing - left it as stock as possible.

Is your car lowered? I have bmw performance springs so it's about half inch lower than stock.
I will tackle this soon and again thank you for your help!

My car is not lowered. Stock 135i suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #17
61etype
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Pictures of "splash guards" with splitter

I have had a few questions on how the "splash guard" can be installed along with the splitter - (these are the original "splash guards" which come on the stock car)

Here are some pictures which may help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0