BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #155
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
WTF!!

I miss the old car Least I still have its grills

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post

Edwin, that number with just tune is amazing... wish we had that dyno up here!
Thanks Richard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Man all these 250kw+ cars! You guys should be going to the drags, if I did 12.1seconds with 250kw there must be a lot of 11second cars in Sydney.
You think I can crack an 11 with tune only??? Definitely not but I think with just tune and meth it may be possible if one masters LC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
TBH mate I'm clueless, all I know is Adrian uploaded the latest maps the day of installation.

I do know that when I picked the car up from advan with AR DP's FMIC etc installed the car seemed to really put me back in the seat, then a month or so later I had thought hmm it doesn't seem to have as much poke (I had just thought it was due to being used to the power, perhaps it was the autotune lowering boost?)

May I ask how does one check what maps are currently loaded (By linking the PC up to the ecu I'm guessing?)
Hey Shane, you think your car may have for some reason defaulted back to map 1? The JB4 will do that if it suspects the car is riding too close to the knock threshold.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #156
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Wow and congratulations!!

I know it's only a 'number' but it would have been good to have seen you crack 300!
Thanks Shane! Soon.... . Though apart from a cold day I'm not entirely sure how haha.

By the way, if you ever want to have a crack at the 300, I have a spare BNIB Vishnu PWM kit for when/if you are looking to go down that path.

Quote:
TBH mate I'm clueless, all I know is Adrian uploaded the latest maps the day of installation.

I do know that when I picked the car up from advan with AR DP's FMIC etc installed the car seemed to really put me back in the seat, then a month or so later I had thought hmm it doesn't seem to have as much poke (I had just thought it was due to being used to the power, perhaps it was the autotune lowering boost?)

May I ask how does one check what maps are currently loaded (By linking the PC up to the ecu I'm guessing?)
Hmmm as the autotune gets used to the new mods it should increase boost not lower it. You were definitely running it on the correct map setting? That's the only plausible explanation I can think of other than a faulty unit.

To find out which maps you are running you would need to run a USB cable from the PROcede unit and into your computer. Load up the procede user tuning software and within there you should be able to find it out. I dare say that Adrian would have uploaded either the autotune maps or the stage 1 (no supporting mods) aggressive maps. With the supporting mods that you have now you should definitely be able to load the stage 3 (FBO) maps.

The other alternative is did you notice that your car had a bit more drone or low frequency noise after you had the procede installed? The new aggressive maps changed the default wastegate position to 50% and it's definitely something I noticed on my car when I upgraded from the autotune to the aggressive maps.

I think the best option would be to get into contact with Adrian. Send him a PM and he's usually pretty quick the respond. If that's not an option I'm always happy to help the next time you're down in Sydney.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #157
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
Hey Shane, you think your car may have for some reason defaulted back to map 1? The JB4 will do that if it suspects the car is riding too close to the knock threshold.
That's possibly what I was thinking may have happened however to pull even 234kW with the tune on stock mode, even with FBO would seem a little too good to be true wouldn't it?

On the procede there are "5" maps.

Map 0 - Stock/Valet
Map 1 - Tune
Map 2 - Tune (if you have autotune maps it is the more aggressive of the two with a higher boost target. If aggressive maps, there's no real reason to run in this mode as far as I can tell from the ReadMe)
Map 3 - NA (Opens the wastegates fully to disable the turbos)
Map 4 - Progressive Methanol Map

Shane, next time you're in the car just bump the cruise control stalk up once and your tacho should read what map you're currently on. By default, if you double click the DTC button it will change the maps up. I had that issue once at the Snowy Mountains 1000. Ran a full pass on NA mode

Regardless of what maps you have, Map 1 for you at the moment is probably the best option. Without only DCIs with the autotune maps my boost target was up to at least 15 and I'm pretty sure I reached 14-15psi when using the procede boost gauge.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #158
Drawn05
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Yes

Hi Shane

Dont think i met you at the dyno day but I wasnt there long as I was only picking my car up. Whereabouts in Newcastle are you? I can help you do some logs and get it running better. When I get home I will Pm you my details and can go from there if you want.

Quote:
Gday Justin

Well yes you're 100% correct, it is making as much power as before with less boost which ultimately is a nice streetable safe tune as it is(which would be great as a map 1 on the procede) but as to why it isn't running as much boost on map 2 to where it should be and consequently not producing the numbers it should be is disappointing.

But on the flipside this is exactly what a dyno run is about for me, to diagnose the car for any issues, and whilst this isn't a 'issue' as such its basically just a window of opportunity to gain some more power. So rather then be gutted by the poor results, its an opportunity to find the source of the issue and gain an extra 20-40kw

Yes you guys installed AR DP's for me when the AMS fmic, active autowerke CP & BOV was installed just before xmas.

hmm meth, I must admit I have been doing a bit of research lately and it does have a lot of pros but I think I will look into that once I can decide on either fitting the wavetrac along with m3 bushes linkages and upgraded shocks/springs/coilovers or just go the whole hog and like Steve do the E92 M3 rear end setup with a 3:15 diff...

I don't know Adrian all that well but the few times I have contacted him he has always been helpful, and he strikes me as the type who enjoys a challenge. So it would be nice to get him out of the woodwork away from the subaru and provide some input into this issue (ultimately it would be great if I could get the car at advan on the dyno with Pete and Adrian there to tune the car!)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #159
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Thanks Shane! Soon.... . Though apart from a cold day I'm not entirely sure how haha.

By the way, if you ever want to have a crack at the 300, I have a spare BNIB Vishnu PWM kit for when/if you are looking to go down that path.

Hmmm as the autotune gets used to the new mods it should increase boost not lower it. You were definitely running it on the correct map setting? That's the only plausible explanation I can think of other than a faulty unit.

To find out which maps you are running you would need to run a USB cable from the PROcede unit and into your computer. Load up the procede user tuning software and within there you should be able to find it out. I dare say that Adrian would have uploaded either the autotune maps or the stage 1 (no supporting mods) aggressive maps. With the supporting mods that you have now you should definitely be able to load the stage 3 (FBO) maps.

The other alternative is did you notice that your car had a bit more drone or low frequency noise after you had the procede installed? The new aggressive maps changed the default wastegate position to 50% and it's definitely something I noticed on my car when I upgraded from the autotune to the aggressive maps.

I think the best option would be to get into contact with Adrian. Send him a PM and he's usually pretty quick the respond. If that's not an option I'm always happy to help the next time you're down in Sydney.
If you have that meth kit in 6 months time I may be hassling you

I confirmed with Pete was it on map 2 and he said yes he had to do some fiddling around as it was still in map 0 from when I had my car coded in the carpark at advan. I checked also and it was map 2...

Regarding a tad more drone... hmm I must admit I didn't notice it to be any noiser, but once the DP's were in I did notice a tractor type of chugging noise on cold starts which Pete assured me was just the wastegates. I believe if this is the case you can change the wastegate position (by memory it was to 50%) and it minimises this noise on cold start up (may indicate that its not at 50% already)

I did send him a PM to see what ideas he may have, hopefully he can nut this one out for me!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #160
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawn05 View Post
Hi Shane

Dont think i met you at the dyno day but I wasnt there long as I was only picking my car up. Whereabouts in Newcastle are you? I can help you do some logs and get it running better. When I get home I will Pm you my details and can go from there if you want.
Sorry Steve, but no I didnt get to meet you I had left shortly after Pete's bbq as I was still feeling extremely seedy from the night before!

I'm located right near the John Hunter Hospital, that would be great mate
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #161
mickypal82
Things that make you go Mmmm
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [9.50]
Just wondering what was the best result out of the 1M's? and how many where there?
ESS Tune | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Akrapovic DP's | ETS FMIC | GruppeM Intake | Eibach Springs | 20" Vertini Black Magic Rims | Electronic Performance Steering Wheel | LUX Angel Eyes | Lightweight Front Lip | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | Gloss Black Side Grills | Black Race Pedals
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:07 AM   #162
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickypal82 View Post
Just wondering what was the best result out of the 1M's? and how many where there?
Off the top of my head I think there were 4 1Ms in total (Ian, Zuzu, Alpine, 1MOz)with the best result being from Joe (Zuzu) at 273kW atrw.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #163
mickypal82
Things that make you go Mmmm
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [9.50]
Quote:
Off the top of my head I think there were 4 1Ms in total (Ian, Zuzu, Alpine, 1MOz)with the best result being from Joe (Zuzu) at 273kW atrw.
Cheers Froop.

SA BMW club have a dyno day this Saturday so it will be interesting to see what results we get.
ESS Tune | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Akrapovic DP's | ETS FMIC | GruppeM Intake | Eibach Springs | 20" Vertini Black Magic Rims | Electronic Performance Steering Wheel | LUX Angel Eyes | Lightweight Front Lip | Gloss Black Kidney Grills | Gloss Black Side Grills | Black Race Pedals
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:36 AM   #164
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickypal82 View Post
Hi mate.. I think the only 1M to be running the ESS tune was Alpine ( 264Kws).

Maybe John can chime in for more detail, but pretty sure his only mods where the ESS tune ( not sure what mapping ) and Akropovic Evolution exhaust.

Joe
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #165
1MOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M AW & F15X5 40d & M2C HS

Quote:
I couldn't do the dyno as the new Cobb AP didn't have any map on it. Was keen to see if the Cobb tune does anything...next time.

I did a baseline dyno last time, the only mod was N55 midpipe.

Here's the dyno chart.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #166
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Zuzu... 273kw Stage 1 aggressive Stock Throttle
Alpine... 264kw (ESS) stage 1
Ian///M... 262kw (Evolve) stage 1

We all have no-cat mid pipes. Mine did 267kw (Evolve) & 243kw (base) about 6 months ago.

Cobb produces most power IMO as has more maps to select. Emack ran the Evolve Stage 3 on his 1M and got ~295kw some months ago
Fixed
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:17 AM   #167
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

So basically a 3-4% difference across the tuned 1M cars ... not bad considering differences in brands of mods.

I wouldn't be able to feel a 4% difference driving!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #168
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

I am still here guys... just very busy with some other stuff in my other life.

I do alot of installs, but I am pretty sure when I installed JEKLs I would have put in a map to suit the mods it had at the time. It was stock at the time so that would have been a stage 0 map. I am not aware if the maps were changed to more agressive maps when the other parts were installed, but they should have. I would be running stage 2 or stage 3, and I would be aiming for about 15psi at around 6000RPM, and a little more at lower RPM. With 4psi more boost I would expect another 20-30kW if everything else is working right to allow the turbos to reach their limits with as much efficiency as possible.

As to why it is running less boost now than originally.... I cannot say I know exactly which maps were run, but it is possible that the first dyno was done immediately after install and the autotune was tuning down, but had not stabalised yet (it takes a few minutes of high boost to fully stabalise). One dyno run may have resulted in higher boost while the Procede was still running higher than it was attempting to autotune to.

JEKL, is your Procede Rev 2 or 3? If I recall correctly, I installed but you supplied the Procede?

Cheers,

Adrian
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #169
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOz
Quote:
I couldn't do the dyno as the new Cobb AP didn't have any map on it. Was keen to see if the Cobb tune does anything...next time.

Here's the dyno chart.
That's a pretty epic baseline run Quang... Especially since it's supposed to be 250kW at the crank... Somehow your transmission is adding to your power rather than having a parasitic effect
      03-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #170
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOz View Post

Here's the dyno chart.
Try the stage 1 aggressive stock throttle maps, linear throttle is terrible, with the cobb tune, and any other tune i suspect on the 1m, without added mods, you will notice a difference low down but virtually no benefit high up, cobb stage 1 is no quicker at all for track driving, feels good around town however.

and that is a healthy baseline, N55 mids have to be the best mod ever!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:39 AM   #171
UR25IO
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M-SPORT DCT

hey Guys
Im loveing all these dyno figures and I would kindly ask the 1M guys to come out one Wednesday to WSID for a night out fun and a social meet up..!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #172
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
I am still here guys... just very busy with some other stuff in my other life.

I do alot of installs, but I am pretty sure when I installed JEKLs I would have put in a map to suit the mods it had at the time. It was stock at the time so that would have been a stage 0 map. I am not aware if the maps were changed to more agressive maps when the other parts were installed, but they should have. I would be running stage 2 or stage 3, and I would be aiming for about 15psi at around 6000RPM, and a little more at lower RPM. With 4psi more boost I would expect another 20-30kW if everything else is working right to allow the turbos to reach their limits with as much efficiency as possible.

As to why it is running less boost now than originally.... I cannot say I know exactly which maps were run, but it is possible that the first dyno was done immediately after install and the autotune was tuning down, but had not stabalised yet (it takes a few minutes of high boost to fully stabalise). One dyno run may have resulted in higher boost while the Procede was still running higher than it was attempting to autotune to.

JEKL, is your Procede Rev 2 or 3? If I recall correctly, I installed but you supplied the Procede?

Cheers,

Adrian
Thanks for your reply Adrian

Its a Rev 2.5 AFAIK and yes correct supplied by me and maps and installation done by yourself.

TBH I had no idea the maps had to be updated when more mods were to be added, and obviously the guys @ advan were non the wiser also (I guess it doesn't help when I didn't ask them to do so when the bolts on were installed!)

May I ask what are the pros and cons to running the stage 2 vs the stage 3?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #173
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep

FYI guys some of you may find this info handy that I stumbled upon now that I realise I should be running a stage 2/3 map on my procede

With different tunes in the market and there recommended stages for different maps, whats the ideal bolt-on to run what tune and different stages?

COBB
Stage 1 - Stock Car
Stage 1+ - Stock + FMIC
Stage 2 - Stock + Catless DPs
Stage 2+ - Stock + Catless DPs + FMIC + Upgraded Intake

JB4
Stage 1 - Stock Car (Map 1)
Stage 2 - Stock Car + Catless DPs (93 Octane) (Map 2)
Stage 3 -
Stage 4 - Stock + Catless DPs + Upgraded Intake + FMIC + Methanol + Upgraded Turbos

Procede v3
Stage 0 - Stock Car (High altitude & poor fuel quality & high temp) (Map Stg 0)
Stage 1 - Stock Car (Map Stg 1)
Stage 2 - Stock + Catless DPs + FMIC (91 Octane) ; Stock + Catless DPs (93+ Octane) (Map Stg 2)
Stage 3 - Stock + Catless DPs + Upgraded Intake + FMIC (Map Stg 3)
Stage 4 - Stock + Catless DPs + Upgraded Intake + FMIC + Upgraded Turbos (Map FBO Upgraded Turbos)

FBO = Tune | Downpipes | Intake | FMIC | Cat Back Exhaust (Optional)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #174
adrian@vishnu
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

It looks like you have it all sorted mate. I think you can run stage 3 on your car. I believe you would pick up atleast 20kW with that. If you then decide to fiddle with E85, there may be another 20-30kW up for grabs. My thoughts are that running meth and ethanol blends do alot of the same thing, so with the right mix of E85 and the correct tune setup, you should be able to get similar results to someone running meth. I would hope we could get to around 290ish kW ATW.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #175
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post

You think I can crack an 11 with tune only??? Definitely not but I think with just tune and meth it may be possible if one masters LC.
No, doubt you will be able to crak 11's with tune only. Just saying that up here our 250rwkw's equate to low 12's. Ie... the dyno down there is errr... a little.. errr... generous?

Especially considering stock M's are pulling 250+kw's alone. But up here around 230.

PS. I'm not trying to start a fight. Honestly just pointing out something we've noticed but nobody wants to say.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #176
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
Sounds like you guys had a great time!

Does anyone have a graph displaying rpm as opposed to kph? I'm keen to see the boost response in the low to mid range. Also, any torque figures?
Appreciate 0