BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

New shock mounts?

Doing a coilovers kit soon will I be able to use the old mounts or I have to upgrade buy new ones ? Looking to do the TCKR E82/E9X Koni Coilover Kit
Any info is helpful
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Why are you getting coilovers? To lower the car? Improve handling? Will you race?

If you are just wanting to lower the car, probably don't need anything. If you are trying to improve handling, many people recommend rear subframe bushings. If you are racing you'll also want front camber plates. I recommend Vorshlag. Call them up, give them measurements of your coilovers, and they'll machine the exact right parts for you.

Generally the coilover kit should include all the parts needed to make it work on your car. If not, it's a crappy kit.
      04-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sorry idk how this got in the forum ment to put in suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Why are you getting coilovers? To lower the car? Improve handling? Will you race?

If you are just wanting to lower the car, probably don't need anything. If you are trying to improve handling, many people recommend rear subframe bushings. If you are racing you'll also want front camber plates. I recommend Vorshlag. Call them up, give them measurements of your coilovers, and they'll machine the exact right parts for you.
The car may see 1-2 track days a year nothing crazy I'm looking to improve handling in the car and I'd love to do the rear subframe bushings I just get mixed reviews that I should do coilovers first then c if I want the bushings then people say the bushing upgrade alone transforms the car , do you have the m3 subframe bushing on your car? If so thoughts? Thanks mate
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post

Generally the coilover kit should include all the parts needed to make it work on your car. If not, it's a crappy kit.
Maybe he wants to improve our crappy oem suspension. And the question was can he reuse old shock mounts.

So to OP yes you can if they are not damaged and in good condition.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post

...So to OP yes you can if they are not damaged and in good condition.
+1. Yes, you can probably get by reusing the old ones IF your can has low miles. But why even risk it. Just buy new strut bearing mounts. You don't want to go thru this job (again) down the road. For the rear shocks... they get banged up pretty good, you will need new ones in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
+1. Yes, you can probably get by reusing the old ones IF your can has low miles. But why even risk it. Just buy new strut bearing mounts. You don't want to go thru this job (again) down the road. For the rear shocks... they get banged up pretty good, you will need new ones in the rear.
You have no risk if you don't hear bearings when turning the steering.
Here is a good DIY by ECS they suggest which parts have to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks man

Quote:
Maybe he wants to improve our crappy oem suspension. And the question was can he reuse old shock mounts.

So to OP yes you can if they are not damaged and in good condition.
Wasn't sure thanks for info
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yea I guess I'm pinching penny's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Stupid on my part your right I don't want to have to redo the install again car has 30k btw
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nice video

Quote:
You have no risk if you don't hear bearings when turning the steering.
Here is a good DIY by ECS they suggest which parts have to be replaced.
Thanks to everyone for all the help you guys are all gents
Appreciate 0