BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-06-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
TSum75
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe 6-spd man

Xenon Adaptive Headlight Replacement - Atlanta

Hello everyone,

Earlier this week, got in my car to go to work & got 2 MIL's re: my headlights... (1) front corner indicator light malfunction & (2) adaptive headlight not working... So, I got out and noticed CONDENSATION in my DRIVER’S SIDE headlight… BUT the headlight was still working - but not for long as in the evening when going home, headlight was out as well, and only working element were my Angel Eyes.

Anyway, because I've read forum threads here & elsewhere, I thought my headlight was probably toast, and I knew that it was going to be expensive to replace my driver's side adaptive headlight... And I was planning to source all of the components myself & replace my entire driver's side xenon adaptive headlight myself, but I've gotten tied up with work & didn't think I'd have the time to do it in the near future. The thing is I know what's involved, I know how to do it & know how to remove everything in order to replace it, etc... But because I'm short on time, I took my car to the dealership... ... And I'm still shocked at the price they quoted me! The dealership quoted me a price of over $3,000 to completely replace my driver's side xenon adaptive headlight. They told me that it was over $2,000 in parts alone, and then there's the labor to replace the headlight, & then the new headlight would need to be coded. But it seemed like they were charging me a ton to code the new headlight...

So, my questions are:

(1) Is it really that much (+$500.00) to code the new headlight? Because if you replace the adaptive headlight with a new factory BMW headlight, how could it possibly be so expensive just to code the new headlight? Does anyone have any suggestions re: coding the new headlight? Or can someone inform me what all is involved with coding a new factory BMW headlight?

(2) I don't want to risk purchasing cheap imitation parts... And I've found brand new factory BMW parts from tons less money. Even other BMW dealerships in Atlanta charge much less for the parts... And I want it done right if I'm not going to be able to do it myself... Because I've already been screwed by 2 different respectable BMW shops (who I met thru BMWCCA) here in Atlanta... And I also don't want to be driving around with one headlight not working either... Does anyone have any suggestions?

Just so you know, here's some of the research I've done re: factory BMW parts to replace my driver's side xenon adaptive headlight:

> Genuine BMW Part #63127164931 - Adaptive Xenon Headlight Complete Assembly - Left (Driver's Side)... 1 dealership in Atlanta lists it for: $844.75; another lists it for: $951.51; and my dealership lists it for: $1,160.38... and ECS Tuning lists it for $943.78.

> Genuine BMW Part #63117180829 - Electronics Box ALC uncoded / Leveling Motor... 1 dealership in Atlanta lists it for: $165.23; another lists it for: $180.30; and my dealership lists it for: $196.70... and ECS Tuning offers Genuine BMW Part #63117180829 for $174.13... (NOTE: I already bought this part but was planning to just keep it as spare part for my passenger side headlight, or whatever.)

> Genuine BMW Part #63117180050 - Xenon Light Control Module Unit... 1 dealership in Atlanta lists it for: $391.19; another lists it for: $426.90; and my dealership lists it for: $465.71... and ECS Tuning offers Genuine BMW Part #63117180050 for $381.15... (And I've also found other vendors that sell the Valeo 6G ballast for much, much less...)

> Genuine BMW Part #63217217509 – D1S XENON BULB with Ignition Element... 1 dealership in Atlanta lists it for: $168.90; another lists it for: $184.31; and my dealership lists it for: $196.70... and ECS Tuning offers Genuine BMW Part #63117180050 for $196.70... (And I've also found this part with other vendors that sell the factory BMW D1S Xenon Bulb with Ignition Element for much, much less... And so, I went ahead & purchased Qty: 2 factory BMW D1S Xenon Bulb with Ignition Element since I found it for $147.09 ea.)

So, does anyone have any suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate any assistance anyone can offer.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Labor to replace the light itself shouldn't be more than 1 hour MAX. Its so easy to do. I've taken my headlights out a grand total of two times and I'm pretty sure I could have the old out and new in and buttoned up in about 20-30 minutes if I tried to do it fast.

I don't know much about the coding but I'd get a quote from an independent BMW shop or something.

I too am fighting condensation. Nothing on my lights are broken yet because I must have caught it early and haven't driven it in the rain since, therefore I don't know much about what you would need to replace. But definitely try to get the coding done elsewhere.

I'll be putting my lights back in my car today having replaced the back covers with new OEM parts with fresh gaskets. I also put some gasket maker on the top covers and some silicone dielectric grease in the adaptive control module connection on the bottom of the light.

There's so many potential places for this headlight housing to let in water its not even funny. Bad design.

Last edited by Joebie; 11-06-2015 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0