BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Final 4 year "free" maintenance

I'll be taking my 128i vert in for it's final free maintenance, and the power cable TSB, in early July. I asked about an oil change and it seems like that isn't happening. I've been getting a low mileage annual but 1 year and a day are required between changes under those rules. That effectively precludes a fourth. I don't want to pay BMW prices for this, I prefer ordering the parts from Tischer and doing it myself. I expect to get an "offer" when I show up but unless it is equal or less than the cost of the parts I will turn it down. I will wait until about 30K miles and change it myself. I change at 5K intervals with synthetic because it is easy to remember. It is undoubtedly overkill. I also plan an oil analysis.

But what should I get at 4 years? They mentioned a brake fluid change. Anything else due?

I am also concerned my oil level sensor doesn't work. I've done two oil changes myself and added only 6 quarts each time. But the gauge shows the car is completely full. Anybody know of a way to check the gauge? I plan to ask the dealership to check it when it goes in.

I have a loaner scheduled but all they have is 3 series. That's OK. I was hoping to drive a X1. We are considering replacing my Suzuki SUV.

Jim
      05-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I am also concerned my oil level sensor doesn't work. I've done two oil changes myself and added only 6 quarts each time. But the gauge shows the car is completely full. Anybody know of a way to check the gauge? I plan to ask the dealership to check it when it goes in.
Yeah, that always bugged me... You can't go wrong with a dipstick.
      05-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

Quote:
I'll be taking my 128i vert in for it's final free maintenance, and the power cable TSB, in early July. I asked about an oil change and it seems like that isn't happening. I've been getting a low mileage annual but 1 year and a day are required between changes under those rules. That effectively precludes a fourth. I don't want to pay BMW prices for this, I prefer ordering the parts from Tischer and doing it myself. I expect to get an "offer" when I show up but unless it is equal or less than the cost of the parts I will turn it down. I will wait until about 30K miles and change it myself. I change at 5K intervals with synthetic because it is easy to remember. It is undoubtedly overkill. I also plan an oil analysis.

But what should I get at 4 years? They mentioned a brake fluid change. Anything else due?

I have a loaner scheduled but all they have is 3 series. That's OK. I was hoping to drive a X1. We are considering replacing my Suzuki SUV.

Jim
Jim,

They changed my oil for the 4th time as low mileage annual. Might want to also check on wiper blades, air filter and cabin filter as well.
      05-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
1addyfan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i Vert ///M-Sport 6 M-T

They should call it the Lazy Maintenance plan... They do the least amount of maintenance work I've ever seen for any vehicle in a 4 year span.

But hey, at least you get wiper blades. *Yawn*
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
fullboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJx View Post
They should call it the Lazy Maintenance plan... They do the least amount of maintenance work I've ever seen for any vehicle in a 4 year span.

But hey, at least you get wiper blades. *Yawn*
On my first oil change my wipers were working perfectly. When they changed them the new blades left streaks.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Cb4h
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 328 Coupe

Hey congrats on the beautiful car and the perfect time of year for the top down driving

The dealer will probably change it honestly if you have a decent relationship with them. I know my dealer changed the oil on our 128 before it went out of free maintenance, and it had like 3000k left on the counter. So its possible.

Also, as far as the least amount of maintenance for free possible I tend to agree. We also have a 2012 SRX Cadillac Premium, which comes with the free maintenance. Like clock work oil changed every 5k miles (according to the oil life monitor), and had the wipers replaced twice for free in a year. Maybe it is just my dealer but they go by the mileage since oil change on the Cadillac as long as the OLM is below 35%....if you want the pure synthetic oil instead of the regular you just ask and it is no additional charge. I must say the Cadillac service experience blows BMW away in my experience. (have had 5 BMWs (3 Brand new), 1 MB (same dealer as BMW), and still have a BMW in the family (the 128). Just my opinion, but I think you stand a decent chance in getting the oil changed.

Best of luck and enjoy the top down
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
wiper blades
pollen filter
brake fluid flush

I would also check your brakes front and rear. Pads and Rotors! And check your water pump and thermostat for any leaks or codes thrown.

IF it were my car I would also be replacing: spark plugs(yea... I know NA cars can go 100K miles), air filter, trans and diff fluids. Maybe even PS and coolant fluids as well.

Quote:

Jim
The oil level sensor is not that accurate. I have noticed the same thing when I change my own oil. IF I pour in 6 qts... the gauge will read full. But if I drive the car for an hour or so... it will read low. I always fill the car with 6.5qts or 6.9L when I change my oil and filter.

That said... there was a few SIB's on the oil level sensors. I also believe this was fixed in a SW update. Maybe you can get your dealer to replace your oil sensor AND change your oil - all on BMW's dime. They would probably have to update your SW too.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

I don't know how expensive the sensor itself is, but reading the Bentley for the e90 with the same engine (n52) the sensor is easy to get to and looks easy to change
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Mine will be due for the final free maintenance in July.
Oil & Filter
Brake Fluid Flush
Cabin Air Filter
Engine Air Filter
Wiper Blades
Battery Cable Recall

There was another SIB a several years ago for a missing ground wire in the oil sensor.