BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
AceofSpades11
I can't think of anything interesting to put here.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 135is

Talking New To Forum/Just Ordered 135i

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and have just placed an order for my new 135i coupe ! Dealer (eventually will be "stealer" lol) says 6-8 weeks before delivery, that seems like forever! If anyone has any advice or stories please let me know, I'm eager to hear them.

Also, does anyone know where I can order pre-cut headlight covers (like the laminate) I don't want to make the same mistake I made with my previous 330i and wait till they start getting hazy!

Thanks, I look forward to getting to know the forum!

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
imstupidsorry101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i

for headlight covers (like a bodyguard protector) just google headlight bra.....and you'll find a number of sites (autosportcatelog.com) is good ....should be an easy find.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
AceofSpades11
United_States
Rep

Thanks man I appreciate the help, I've found these also, but they're a little on the pricey side:

https://www.xpel.com/products/headli...21&series=1323
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
imstupidsorry101
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 128i

yeah can't go wrong with it
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Like anything else, stick with a name you know. XPEL is generally considered to be the best protection.

Welcome to the group and enjoy your wait (I just got done!)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Ace - find a weekend and drive up to Jacksonville. My clear bra installer can run you a great deal on Xpel products. The entire front end of my car, as well as mirrors, fender flares, side skirts, etc, are covered with Xpel Ultimate, which is a self-healing film. Very difficult to tell it's there as well.

If you just want the headlights done I'm sure he can give you a very competitive price including installation.

Congrats on your purchase!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
AceofSpades11
United_States
Rep

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Ace - find a weekend and drive up to Jacksonville. My clear bra installer can run you a great deal on Xpel products. The entire front end of my car, as well as mirrors, fender flares, side skirts, etc, are covered with Xpel Ultimate, which is a self-healing film. Very difficult to tell it's there as well.

If you just want the headlights done I'm sure he can give you a very competitive price including installation.

Congrats on your purchase!

That sounds great I might have to take you up on that. Do you have any pictures of it on your car?

Also, thanks to everyone for their help, it's much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
AceofSpades11
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section147 View Post
Like anything else, stick with a name you know. XPEL is generally considered to be the best protection.

Welcome to the group and enjoy your wait (I just got done!)

Damn I can't wait to get mine you must have been so excited when it finally came in. How long did you end up waiting?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofSpades11 View Post
That sounds great I might have to take you up on that. Do you have any pictures of it on your car?

Also, thanks to everyone for their help, it's much appreciated.
Absolutely, you just can't see it lol which is the point of a transparent film...here you go:

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
AceofSpades11
United_States
Rep

You're absolutely correct! I can't see anything lol btw I love your car, the 1M must be a rocket. About how much do you think it will cost me to get the same Xpel as you?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofSpades11
You're absolutely correct! I can't see anything lol btw I love your car, the 1M must be a rocket. About how much do you think it will cost me to get the same Xpel as you?
Thank you sir. Yes I love it, and I came from a 135i, so I certainly love both cars!

The entire front end of my car has clear bra protection (headlights, bumper, hood, fenders), also the mirrors, the entire side skirts, and the front and rear of the fender flares in the back. I went overboard but I have OCD-like tendencies with my car lol. By the way, I also picked what's considered to be the best film out there combined with what I considered to be the best installer I know (he's done 5 of my prior cars plus the cars of a few friends)...the reason I mention all this is that these factors certainly affect overall pricing.

What I can tell you is that my installer offers very competitive pricing and he's always cheaper than the competition, he is also very meticulous so I trust him blindly with my car. By the way, I have NO affiliation with him nor do I benefit in any way by recommending him. Based on how many panels you choose to cover and the type of film, expect to pay anywhere between 500-800 bucks. Yes it is pricey, it may or may not be worth it to many...I rather protect now than to repaint later
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
Just1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M package

Quote:
Thank you sir. Yes I love it, and I came from a 135i, so I certainly love both cars!

The entire front end of my car has clear bra protection (headlights, bumper, hood, fenders), also the mirrors, the entire side skirts, and the front and rear of the fender flares in the back. I went overboard but I have OCD-like tendencies with my car lol. By the way, I also picked what's considered to be the best film out there combined with what I considered to be the best installer I know (he's done 5 of my prior cars plus the cars of a few friends)...the reason I mention all this is that these factors certainly affect overall pricing.

What I can tell you is that my installer offers very competitive pricing and he's always cheaper than the competition, he is also very meticulous so I trust him blindly with my car. By the way, I have NO affiliation with him nor do I benefit in any way by recommending him. Based on how many panels you choose to cover and the type of film, expect to pay anywhere between 500-800 bucks. Yes it is pricey, it may or may not be worth it to many...I rather protect now than to repaint later
Worth every $, i wish someone locally can get it done for me
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Stud im impressed. It looks like theres nothing there.

Congrats on the new car. Youll love it!

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Stud im impressed. It looks like theres nothing there.

Congrats on the new car. Youll love it!
I went to the dealer the other day to pick up the performance spoiler, and the people came out to see the car...the general manager came out and said "I know on your previous car you had the clear bra installed right away, why is it taking you so long to have it installed on this one?" ... I couldn't help but to laugh and told him to look much closer. People don't even know it's there haha when you look for the lines you can find them, but they are rather difficult to see at first (even second and third) glance!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
AceofSpades11
United_States
Rep

Quote:

wow, that's a lot to consider lol, but I am definitely interested. As the date gets closer to my delivery I will def. reach out to you and get your installers contact information. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
wow, that's a lot to consider lol, but I am definitely interested. As the date gets closer to my delivery I will def. reach out to you and get your installers contact information. Thanks for the info!
Anytime! Anything to help a fellow enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
I went to the dealer the other day to pick up the performance spoiler, and the people came out to see the car...the general manager came out and said "I know on your previous car you had the clear bra installed right away, why is it taking you so long to have it installed on this one?" ... I couldn't help but to laugh and told him to look much closer. People don't even know it's there haha when you look for the lines you can find them, but they are rather difficult to see at first (even second and third) glance!
I always wanted a bra but that line comes out really clearly on a dark car like mine, so I never went for it.

I regret that immensely 70K miles later. The stones used my front roundel as a target!

So yeah OP go for the bra if you can. BMW paint is very soft and chips easily.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

great choice in color
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Damn I can't wait to get mine you must have been so excited
when it finally came in. How long did you end up waiting?
Ordered Jan 3rd, delivered Feb. 27th.
Hang in there and follow the progress online.

Sweeeeet anticipation!
Appreciate 0