BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-17-2017, 11:59 AM   #23
blu_one
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d_22 View Post
Once hose pulled, i start a cycle to let the pump push out the fluid. As soon as the system runs dry i stop the pump.

I then fill up the reservoir, start another cycle. I let it push out a bit of the new fluid to make sure i get all of the old stuff out... I stop the pump again. Reconnect hose to reservoir, top up reservoir, and start a final pump cycle to bleed the system...

For anyone who has done alex_d_22's method, can you clarify which hose emits the old fluid when the pump is running? Is it the bottom reservoir hose after disconnected from the reservoir? Also, how much of the total coolant are you able to remove with this method (vs radiator and bottom hose drain). This sounds like an excellent alternative if you get almost as much old coolant out.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #24
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu_one View Post
For anyone who has done alex_d_22's method, can you clarify which hose emits the old fluid when the pump is running? Is it the bottom reservoir hose after disconnected from the reservoir? Also, how much of the total coolant are you able to remove with this method (vs radiator and bottom hose drain). This sounds like an excellent alternative if you get almost as much old coolant out.
When I did this, I only removed the radiator plug and blew compressed air into the reservoir (like 15psi max with a towel to make a seal) and my refill was approx 1.5gal. Good enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #25
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

I have a few questions on the coolant change. I have a 2011 128i:

1. In the video a few posts back for the 4-cyl e90, the guy takes a hose off in order to drain the coolant loop in the transmission, then he drains from the blue screw. Does the 128i also have coolant going to the transmission or do we skip this step?

2. On my old Miata, draining the radiator did not drain the block, so the procedure was to drain the radiator and refill, start the car and run for a minute, then repeat a few times. This circulated the new coolant through the block and diluted the old coolant. On the 128i, does draining from the blue screw in the radiator drain the block or just what is in the radiator? Meaning does it make sense to drain and refill like I used to do on my Miata or is that wasted time/coolant?

3. How much coolant does a 128i take?

4. Is 50/50 the right mix for a Texas car that will see track time? In the Miata world for a track car you would do 30% coolant / 70% water because water has more cooling capacity than antifreeze. Since my car lives in Texas in a garage, I don't see freezing being an issue but I do wonder whether the water pump would get enough lubrication with less than 50% mix. If 50% cools adequately for a track car, it's a moot point.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 08:13 AM   #26
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

lifetime means 100,000km's, not forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
It's not covered anyway - BMW says it's "lifetime fill." I paid to have mine done, but don't have any tips for a DIY obviously, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #27
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
lifetime means 100,000km's, not forever
Maybe in Canada!

AFAIK, BMW has no official recommendations on coolant changes. the dealers (which are independently owned) will of course be happy to sell the service, but it won't be covered under warranty. I do mine every 2 years, which I think is what most of the dealers are recommending, IIRC (but again - these are not official BMWNA recs).

EDIT: By the way, here's the Service Guide from BMWNA. The only non-CBS maintenance intervals it gives are for spark plugs (60,000 miles for N52 & 45,000 miles for N54) and ATF (100,000 miles, regardless of car). Regarding coolant, it says "the engine coolant has a long-term rating and does not need to be changed except for system repairs." Now, I'm not saying that I buy that personally, but there is definitely no specific mileage interval recommendation for a coolant flush on US cars coming from BMWNA.

Sorry, the forum wouldn't let me post the actual .pdf for some reason, but here's a link:

http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_9a18f205...8-ee0947132da7

Last edited by Bimmer-Bob; 10-05-2017 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: adding attachment
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #28
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

There is a lot of threads all over.

So lifetime fill means this...

Some people understand lifetime to mean, "never needs changing"
i.e. put in and forget.

Now if you can show me ANY fluid that will last forever, , I'll happily sell you some magic beans All fluids deteriorate period. ALL. You know that as well as I do.

Lifetime fill means this, the manufacturer (any country and any manufacturer) deems the lifetime of a car to be 100,000km (or miles whatever) that does NOT mean the car will not fail stop or not go past 100k.

Averaging 20k a year, means 5 years or so. That is from new, they consider that the lifetime of a car.

After that they don't want to know, buy a new car LOLZ

They don't want problems during that 5 year period. So they engineer things to last that long (ideally)

You should take reasonable care and steps to change fluids, but some people are crazy enough to think that oh this "xyz" fluid is good for life and don't touch it, NO, it's good for 100k, and that's it

a good site
http://www.aspenautoclinic.com/blog/...ifetime-fluids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Maybe in Canada!

AFAIK, BMW has no official recommendations on coolant changes. the dealers (which are independently owned) will of course be happy to sell the service, but it won't be covered under warranty. I do mine every 2 years, which I think is what most of the dealers are recommending, IIRC (but again - these are not official BMWNA recs).

EDIT: By the way, here's the Service Guide from BMWNA. The only non-CBS maintenance intervals it gives are for spark plugs (60,000 miles for N52 & 45,000 miles for N54) and ATF (100,000 miles, regardless of car). Regarding coolant, it says "the engine coolant has a long-term rating and does not need to be changed except for system repairs." Now, I'm not saying that I buy that personally, but there is definitely no specific mileage interval recommendation for a coolant flush on US cars coming from BMWNA.

Sorry, the forum wouldn't let me post the actual .pdf for some reason, but here's a link:

http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_9a18f205...8-ee0947132da7
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #29
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I know good and well that “lifetime fill” is a horrible idea, and change my fluids appropriately. I’m not arguing that. I’m just saying that BMW officially does not recommend changing these fluids ever, either after 100,000km or anytime else. How much more clear could “does not need to be changed” be?

You claiming that EVERY car manufacturer that says “lifetime” really means 100,000km is kind of ridiculous - why wouldn’t they just say 100,000km? I mean, I get that “lifetime” is a marketing gimmick, but how you can define the term with such precision (exactly 100,000km?) is a mystery to me.

Last edited by Bimmer-Bob; 10-08-2017 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0