BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Road debris impact again!

Ok, so on the way to the airport this morning I hit a pretty bad chunk of debris. A car ahead of me had kicked up something that I thought was just some cardboard but the loud thunk I heard and felt when it struck the car certainly signified something different. Fortunately, I narrowly missed a head on collision, but my passenger side mirror wasn't so lucky. As I glanced over I could see the mirror dangling by a wire.*

As soon as I could, I pulled over to inspect the damage, though I didn't have much time since I had to catch a flight. The short of it is that the outer mirror housing popped off but the mirror glass was intact which I could pop back into place. There's a pretty nasty gash though on the black connector piece and it looks like the whole unit has been bent downwards a little. But the unit still seems to function normally (mirror adjustments and folding up when in parking mode). *It was dark so I couldn't do a thorough inspection for cracks or anything, but running my hands over things, it seemed like there weren't any cracks that might have developed from the impact.*

So the question is, can I just get a replacement cover and pop that into place or should I have the whole thing inspected to see if there is any underlying damage which might cause problems down the road? I assume I can just get the replacement cover without having to replace the whole unit?
      08-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep

Well, it looks like I can order the replacement cover but it needed to be painted. Any suggestions on that?

Do I just have any body shop paint the part? In the meantime, I wonder what I can use to protect the exposed mirror internals...
      08-06-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Lord Hemming
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Buy a set of carbon mirror caps, sometimes things happen for a reason...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
GodSpeed135
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hemming View Post
+1
      08-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hemming View Post
+1, probably will cost the same than reordering new part and repainting.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys, I guess I could go the carbon fiber route... but I would rather keep the stock look... I guess I'm really more concerned about the mirror not aligning properly. It still functions for the most part, I think but it's misaligned (i.e., when in normal drive position the top two pieces don't line up and seems like the whole unit is sort of bent downwards).

I wonder if I have to get a whole new mirror assembly to get it aligned correctly...

Last edited by sergeremi; 08-06-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0