BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #23
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
The shock is larger on the 1m so you can't fit it in the 135i

You could fit a 135 Shock in a 1m with a sleeve but it's bigger for a reason to hold more oil ti help with heat dissipation
The oem shock is bigger on the 1M yes, but most coilovers for the 1M or M3 the shock body is smaller than the knuckle bore size and has a sleeve ala KW:

(I'm referring to the brass sleeve on the E92 M3 front shocks in the image above)

In this scenario a 'custom' sleeve on the shock body may work?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #24
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

Cant see why it cant.

Would prefer a bigger shock not just one size fits all and make up bushing.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 01:16 AM   #25
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJustin View Post
Hi all

I've been looking into quality coilover options for my 135i and recently stumbled upon Shockworks, which is a Melbourne company. They have been making custom valved dampers for various makes and models for some time now and from everything I've read they come very highly regarded. They are custom valved for each car and height, compression & rebound adjustable (10-12 increments) from what I've read.

Many say they are superior to Ohlins and are cheaper (I've seen AUD$2k prices), more comfortable, can be rebuilt locally etc.

I've confirmed that Shockworks have made dampers for the 1M but not 135i/335i to my knowledge.

I understand 1M dampers cannot be used on 135i/335i cars. For those in the know:
- what are the differences between the dampers?
- can they be made to fit with replacement arms etc?
- how different are the damper & spring rates between the 1M & 135i?

If the 1M dampers aren't feasible, my backup plan is to push for development of some coilovers specifically for the 135i/335i platform. Would anyone be interested in a locally developed & custom valved kit on par with Ohlins?
OzJustin - Good to see someone else looking local. I know of Brett from my Datsun days- he's a few min down the road from me and I've been meaning to get the e87 down to him!

MCA can do "one off" orders of the X series or Reds, with the X series being around 2150 and the reds 2900ish. Note- the Red seems to be the X series but with additional QC/checks...
MCA seem to use higher spring rates, Brett (from memory) leans on shock valving more and treats the springs "to hold the car up".

Price wise, the MCA X-R would be similar to Shockworks?

I'd be curious to see if you could meet your goal of non-m & M with the same kit by:
- Sleeving the 135i shock body for the 1M knuckle in future
- Swapping the Rear LCA for the M part, or getting something like this made up for now... https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...minum-e82-e9x/

If you're still keen to get this moving, feel free to PM me. He's done a 1M, so the rates should be good to go, and the e82 fitment is same as the e87... plus I'm in the market for something when I get some time...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 02:02 AM   #26
Daemos
Australia
Rep
Drives: WRX STI

MCA have a very good reputation. All the fast track cars up here that I know of run MCA Reds or Golds. However, their reputation around Australia is very good.

MCA takes their testing and development very seriously, and sets shock length, valving and spring rates based on testing on stock cars around the local QLD tracks. Their valving sets them apart. They design their coil overs around stock sway bars and bushings.

I would 100% go with MCA, as I run a set of blues on my current car, and I wouldn't hesitate to get a set of MCA X or Reds on any future car.

That being said, KW, Ohlins and Bilstein also make very good coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 08:40 PM   #27
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemos View Post
That being said, KW, Ohlins and Bilstein also make very good coilovers.
Don't forget JRZ! I say this because I've just ordered a set of custom Sport RS1's for the 1M

I'd be keen to see how everyone goes with the local options. I've heard nothing but good things about MCA, and a friends SS Ute runs the ShockWorks kit. It handles beautifully and transformed the car, though he has had to have it back a few times to get warranty issued sorted.

I believe JRZ's philosophy is more in line with ShockWorks, and the use of lower spring rates to achieve the same result on track but better back-road capability is my reason for going down that path over Ohlins or KW.

Last edited by phunky_monkey; 06-05-2016 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #28
Daemos
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
Don't forget JRZ! I say this because I've just ordered a set of custom Sport RS1's for the 1M

I'd be keen to see how everyone goes with the local options. I've heard nothing but good things about MCA, and a friends SS Ute runs the ShockWorks kit. It handles beautifully and transformed the car, though he has had to have it back a few times to get warranty issued sorted.

I believe JRZ's philosophy is more in line with ShockWorks, and the use of lower spring rates to achieve the same result on track but better back-road capability is my reason for going down that path over Ohlins or KW.
Sorry forgot about JRZ, and you can also add AST too

As the OP is in Brisbane, and MCA (for red/blue/x) is in Brisbane in Geebung, it would be best to go with MCA. They can install, set ride height and camber to their tested settings.

Unfortunately I know nothing about shockworks other than the fact they use Korean parts. But I do not know if they actually test the products they make on track use or street. MCA for their Reds/Blues/X series are all tested on each platform they sell for on the track and on the road (which is why they don't make coil overs for every car).Their golds are custom fabricated in house in their sunshine coast facility
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #29
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemos View Post
Sorry forgot about JRZ, and you can also add AST too

As the OP is in Brisbane, and MCA (for red/blue/x) is in Brisbane in Geebung, it would be best to go with MCA. They can install, set ride height and camber to their tested settings.

Unfortunately I know nothing about shockworks other than the fact they use Korean parts. But I do not know if they actually test the products they make on track use or street. MCA for their Reds/Blues/X series are all tested on each platform they sell for on the track and on the road (which is why they don't make coil overs for every car).Their golds are custom fabricated in house in their sunshine coast facility
Definitely one of the most important factors in choosing a setup is the local support for them.

I was tossing up the Ohlins and JRZ's for quite a while, but the service I received from both the JRZ factory and their local distributor (albeit in Sydney) The Tuners Group was exemplary and it pushed me over the edge to place the order despite spending a little more than I was hoping to.

From what I'm aware both MCA and ShockWorks both make an excellent product, and if I were to go for either it would probably be ShockWorks because I live in Melbourne. But if I lived in QLD it would be MCA as long as the valving suited the spring rates I wanted to use.

Having said that, at least both have 100% Australian support so I'd go with whichever company offers you the best service when you speak with them
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 02:31 AM   #30
Daemos
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
Having said that, at least both have 100% Australian support so I'd go with whichever company offers you the best service when you speak with them
Reds you get custom valving and rates.

Golds you can get external canisters, 3 way adjustable dampening, custom valving and springs, and I believe the Golds use a different spring material standard etc...which is used in plenty of Aussie race cars and are found on WATC winning cars that even get them recognition overseas!

Moto IQ posted an article a few years back where they talk about MCA's hammerhead S13 (as it was in 2013) and coil overs:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ilvia-S13.aspx

I'm no MCA fanboy, but I give credit where credit is due.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #31
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep

To be honest they completely slipped my mind, and in hindsight I would have dropped MCA a line prior to ordering the JRZ's as something in the Red series may have suited.

I didn't want external canisters or 3 way adjustment for ease of setup as it's a 99% street car, so the Red's or something from ShockWorks would have been a much cheaper option.

Interesting to see if anyone goes for them and what they think.

I'm sure I'll be over the moon with the JRZ's, but they ain't cheap!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 02:30 AM   #32
madaz07
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirst View Post
I have run them in another car @ozjustin and found the mcas better all round, plus they have proven track performance which is always a big bonus

The reds start at 2500 but there are blues and x options also which come in a lot cheaper. If you arent taking your car to the track the reds are a bit excessive
Im looking at some XR for your old car now
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 03:44 AM   #33
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
For those who haven't seen, refer to my thread reviewing the MCA Red Series on my 135i.