BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Questions Regarding the Remote

I clearly have WAY too much time on my hands, while I wait for my ED car to be shipped from Bremerhaven to me. So I've been reading the owner's manual. (This thing is longer than War and Peace!) And some questions regarding the remote come to mind. I don't see any of them addressed in the manual, or on this site (tho maybe I missed it somewhere), but I really did .

BTW - I have CA.

- If I walk up to the car with both remotes in my pocket, which of the 2 remotes does the car recognize, for purposes of settings (radio, clock format, seat position, etc.)?

- If I have both of them in my pocket, and I change settings on the car, will it store the new settings in BOTH remotes?

- If a friend has 1 of the remotes in his pocket in the passenger seat, and I have 1 in my pocket in the driver's seat, will the car know to use mine?

- I'm the only driver, and I'd like to have both remotes be in synch (same settings always), so I can use either one. Is there a way to do that, short of carrying them both (assuming that even that would work)?

If not, I guess I need to just pick 1 remote, and stick with it, but I do like the flexibility of using either one.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

You can chose not to activate the feature with the remotes. You just select your seating memory position and your radio setting and it does not get affected by the remote you use, I should go back to my manual to tell you which feature it is exactly.
      08-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvandenhaute View Post
You can chose not to activate the feature with the remotes. You just select your seating memory position and your radio setting and it does not get affected by the remote you use, I should go back to my manual to tell you which feature it is exactly.
Thanks. But I do want to use the feature - I just want consistency between the remotes. And I'm trying to understand how the system determines which remote to use, if they're both in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think the car always goes to KEY #1. Both keys have a primary (key #1) and secondary (key #2). At least that is what I believe to be the case.

That is what those stickers are for in your glove box... just incase you have multiple BMWs in one family and you mix up your keys. The decals are so you know which key is which.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
bluesunit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: D-Stock 135i

I think it knows who is in the drivers seat.

My girlfriend always carries the spare key for my car, and it's never defaulted to her settings when we are in the car together and I'm driving.

The only time I've had it swap to the spare key was when I had both in my pockets.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
I clearly have WAY too much time on my hands, while I wait for my ED car to be shipped from Bremerhaven to me. So I've been reading the owner's manual. (This thing is longer than War and Peace!) And some questions regarding the remote come to mind. I don't see any of them addressed in the manual, or on this site (tho maybe I missed it somewhere), but I really did .

BTW - I have CA.

- If I walk up to the car with both remotes in my pocket, which of the 2 remotes does the car recognize, for purposes of settings (radio, clock format, seat position, etc.)?

- If I have both of them in my pocket, and I change settings on the car, will it store the new settings in BOTH remotes?

- If a friend has 1 of the remotes in his pocket in the passenger seat, and I have 1 in my pocket in the driver's seat, will the car know to use mine?

- I'm the only driver, and I'd like to have both remotes be in synch (same settings always), so I can use either one. Is there a way to do that, short of carrying them both (assuming that even that would work)?

If not, I guess I need to just pick 1 remote, and stick with it, but I do like the flexibility of using either one.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
why would you have both key's in your pocket? doesn't make sense to me, the spare key should stay someplace safe at home. you should use the spare key once in a while so it recharges, but other than that, no need to bring both keys everywhere you go.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
why would you have both key's in your pocket? doesn't make sense to me, the spare key should stay someplace safe at home. you should use the spare key once in a while so it recharges, but other than that, no need to bring both keys everywhere you go.
That was a hypothetical question - not something I'm planning on doing, for the reasons you stated. I'm just trying to figure out how the system works, so I can see if there's any way to do what I want it to do, which is have both keys have the same settings at all times. Sounds like it's not gonna happen. I just wish there were a setting on the iDrive to let you choose to have both keys in synch.

Oh, and with the Comfort Access, the battery needs to be replaced periodically - it's not rechargeable.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #8
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

Not sure if it is applied for BMW, however for some other car I had clearly stated in manual do not keep your car FOB in the same place with other FOB. It is also recommended to keep it away of cell phones and other electronic devices.

Regarding problem you have two FOBs all together, I can assume that car behaves similarly to cell phones, if you have two or more bluetooth phones in your pocket, only one will be connected. Which one, it depends on which signal was received first, kind of nano second issue. If you look in big numbers law, then you will find that both remotes get connected equally if you do very big number of attempts.
      08-25-2010, 02:14 AM   #9
Blader
Lotus Exige ClubRacer
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY15 Lotus Exige CR

Garage List
2010 E88 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
I can assume that car behaves similarly to cell phones, if you have two or more bluetooth phones in your pocket, only one will be connected. Which one, it depends on which signal was received first, kind of nano second issue. If you look in big numbers law, then you will find that both remotes get connected equally if you do very big number of attempts.
Actually in the BMW it will connect to the Phone that you have given the higher priority in the Bluetooth Telephone Settings
      08-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
I have CA on the e92, if you have both in your pocket, it will pick up the last one used, it doesn't happen often but on trips I sometimes have both in the car. The car uses RFID, so your car will not confuse the CA key for your friend's car. If I'm not mistaken personalization can be disabled, but I like it even in my 128i because if or some reason someone else needs to use my car, like a valet, or a service tech then my settings stay as they were on my key.

These cars offer a lot more personalization options than most cars, but that can become extremely annoying.
Appreciate 0