BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #23
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Uh! Have you seen an X5 M and X6 M engine cold? It does not self adjust because it already redlines at 6800 - 7000 rpm.

A 1-M confirmed redlines at 7000 rpm so what will BMW lower it to?? 4500 rpm?

The only one's that self adjust are S54, S85, S65 engines and all of these were high revving N/A screamers. 1-M is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
Yes, all current M's have this so I wouldn't see why this one wouldn't.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #24
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
I wonder if the 1M will have that automatic adjusting redline like the M3 has that once the engine is warmed up the redline goes up.
I see no reason to think it would. The complexity of the ECU in the newer DI Turbo motors eliminates the need for that.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #25
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Uh! Have you seen an X5 M and X6 M engine cold? It does not self adjust because it already redlines at 6800 - 7000 rpm.

The only one's that self adjust are S54, S85, S65 engines and all of these were high revving N/A screamers. 1-M is not.
I hope they do something about those pathetic turbos with their miserable top end performance at least. 7k redline with 6k peak power would be a tremendous disappointment, and not really "Pure M"
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #26
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:

I stand corrected.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #27
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Agreed, man.

Unfortunately, Kay Segler has clearly confirmed that turbocharged low-revving engines is the way forward for the M cars. Sad, but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
I hope they do something about those pathetic turbos with their miserable top end performance at least. 7k redline with 6k peak power would be a tremendous disappointment, and not really "Pure M"

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #28
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Quote:
Agreed, man.

Unfortunately, Kay Segler has clearly confirmed that turbocharged low-revving engines is the way forward for the M cars. Sad, but true.

No problem if that s there route but then i am not willing to pay premium over an BMW AG model.

They want to deliver little more sportier AG models and charge you the prices of real ///M Motorsport engines equipped cars.

What a laugh.

The laugh segler has in its teaser movie is proberly the laugh at the guys who get trapped into this.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #29
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, man.

Redline is secondary to the engine being fun to use. The engine in my '03 Cobra was AWESOME, even though it wasn't very high revving. The torque curve was just a straight line. My S2K was another car with an engine like that. Kept pulling harder ALL the way to redline.

The S54 in my Z4 MC is great, and a lot of fun to use, but it's honestly a bit lackluster up top by comparison. It's very flat after 7k, especially between 7.5 and 8. Hopefully I'll be able to change that, but it's a very fun motor to use regardless. The issue with the motor in my 135i was that is flat out lost power after 6.2k. I don't feel like an engine with a small flat spot way up top would be an absolute travesty (the S54 is great despite being flat way up top compared to many other sports car engines), but an engine where the back 1/6th of the HP curve is downward slope isn't as fun to use in a car that's meant to be sporty.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #30
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

It is always a kick to read what you are bitching about, and I have to really wonder at times, why you even bother posting, when you clearly are not into Boosted BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
No problem if that s there route but then i am not willing to pay premium over an BMW AG model.

They want to deliver little more sportier AG models and charge you the prices of real ///M Motorsport engines equipped cars.

What a laugh.

The laugh segler has in its teaser movie is proberly the laugh at the guys who get trapped into this.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #31
MarcusDubya77
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 93 WRX;98 Forrester;05 LGT

How much credibility can you actually give to this Rag?? Just because its German doesn't mean its accurate. I mean, how often is R&T or MT, etc. truly right? Look at Autoblog! Prime example. Don't get me started on the Rags over here in Japan. You would think that Toyota is releasing 18 versions of the FT-86 Concept. Just food for thought.
      07-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #32
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
It is always a kick to read what you are bitching about, and I have to really wonder at times, why you even bother posting, when you clearly are not into Boosted BMW's.
He's a perfectionist, who is usually critical. Doesn't mean he's a BMW hater but frustrated BMW isn't building a car to his expectation.

Last edited by Robert; 07-09-2010 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #33
Marioalex24
Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalare View Post
And why is everyone rushing off to believe these magazines? Hell, even the damn C&D and Autobild specs are off...fishy anyone? Maybe it's because they're all speculation. I wouldn't go assuming they're putting the engine from the Z in this thing until we all get official confirmation.

Everyone needs to just relax and wait. One bogus article and people are up in arms. Remember when the articles all said this is an 135is with an NA engine?? They were...speculating yet again. BMW has not released any official figures, let's all relax and just enjoy the pictures until we get some real information.

Seems like some of you out there are still on the prowl to put the car down if for no reason other than you want it to fail...I would think that as BMW enthusiasts, we would want them to produce great cars, even if it's not one we would buy (ie...doesn't have to have all the crap we want on it...just be a great car).

I agree...

BMW M division will not fail.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #34
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I see. I just get slightly fired up reading his posts, but I also respect his way of calling it how it is. I guess these are cars that go with our times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
He's a perfectionist, who is usually critical. Doesn't mean he's a BMW hater but frustrated BMW isn't building a car to his expectation.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 03:58 AM   #35
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
I see no reason to think it would. The complexity of the ECU in the newer DI Turbo motors eliminates the need for that.
No BMW has ever had an adjusting redline, as far as I know. Some of them, mainly M cars, have had lights that give you an idea of how high it's safe to rev the engine based on its internal temperature because getting in and gunning it when the oil is still cold is a bad idea. Engineers select the oil viscosity which lubricates the engine adequately at its operating temperature but when it's cooled down it thickens and is not able to lubricate the engine as well as it should which leads to increased wear.

It's simple physics and no amount of "complexity of the ECU" could have anything to do with this. The lights on the dash just serve as a reminder to take care of your engine when it's cold, you could always take it to redline anyways if you didn't care.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #36
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

If the M1 is not faster and not more fun than the M3, then I do not see the point of this car. Again what is the purpose of M1 if you have to mod it: Akrapovic exhaust, KW CS coilovers, Brembo brakes, Recaro seats,...

My dream M1 must have everything the M3 GTS has (NA 4.4l V8, Sachs coilovers, Titanium exhaust, Recaro seats, roll-cage) and has not (Navi, A/C).

Redline at 7K

McLaren has it at 8.5K
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #37
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
If the M1 is not faster and not more fun than the M3, then I do not see the point of this car. Again what is the purpose of M1 if you have to mod it: Akrapovic exhaust, KW CS coilovers, Brembo brakes, Recaro seats,...

My dream M1 must have everything the M3 GTS has (NA 4.4l V8, Sachs coilovers, Titanium exhaust, Recaro seats, roll-cage) and has not (Navi, A/C).

Redline at 7K

McLaren has it at 8.5K
Didn't Scott mentioned there's a possibility of a GTS in Europe? .

You can't compare a BMW to a McLaren - not in the same class, and you will have to pay a lot more for that engine.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #38
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Are you sure? Everything I found points at a variable redline for the X ///M cars.

Quote:

Redline at 7K

McLaren has it at 8.5K
Don't forget what the purpose of the 1M is, an affordable and entertaining ///M. The car you're describing is something completely else, very small target and very expensive.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #39
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

Quote:

Redline at 7K

McLaren has it at 8.5K

I recommend you buy an M3. The 1M and M3 will have their respective strengths.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #40
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

10 years ago I wanted an E46 M3 and it was too expensive at the time.

10 years on, my salary has more than doubled and I still can't afford an E92 M3 as it has moved upmarket and costs £10k more than it did then.

Not only has the M3 gone up in cost it has gone up in size and power.

What I want from the 1M is a BMW M car that is as good as the E46 M3 not the E92 M3.

I believe the two markets are now different and Kay is right in pitching the 1M at a younger audience (I am flattered).

Mark.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #41
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I'm a little late but... here is that tiny blurb about the new 1M....

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #42
MarcusDubya77
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 93 WRX;98 Forrester;05 LGT

I hope those aren't the wheels. I just threw up in my mouth a little.
      07-23-2010, 10:41 AM   #43
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

A better updated look at the 1M Coupe rendering.
Again it is not exact as there is some M elements that are slightly off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #44
jraymond
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

no shadowline looks terrible. Those big side view mirrors are horrid for an M. And the front intake almost looks exact same as current 135?
Appreciate 0