BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
Chamix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i coupe

Tire place in Stuttgart area

Does anybody know a decent (price wise) tire place where I can get my run flat winter tires mounted and balanced? What would be a decent rate?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Over here in Bamberg - I use Reifen Wagner for my tire work/purchases. I know my place charges 60 euros IF you want four tires mounted and balanced on four alloy wheels WITH tires already on them. When I have bought new tires from them, they charge six euros to balance each wheel/tire. Mounting is free. They also will check my alignment for free! And they charge 59 euros for a four wheel alignment (w/o tax/Vat).

You could also use your base's MWR craft shop to do the job. But I would not advise you too.

You can use Google an run a search for "Reifen Stuttgart" or your local city. You should find plenty of "hits".

I would also send 1thomas a PM. He lives in Stuttgart and is German. I am sure he knows a few good places to use.

I've used places like ATU (www.ATU.de) for winter tire purchases too. They are decent. But the shops that only sell tires like my tire store(Reifen Wagner) seem a lot better equipped to repair flats or mount and balance high performance tires.

Here is a List of all the ATU shops in the Stuttgart area...
http://www.atu.de/pages/service/fili....html?gebiet=7

There are also lower end shops like PitStop or EuroMaster that also sell tires. I am not a fan of those places.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamix View Post
Does anybody know a decent (price wise) tire place where I can get my run flat winter tires mounted and balanced? What would be a decent rate?

Thanks!
ATU

http://www.atu.de/pages/service/fili...kz=DE&gebiet=7

I think I paid about 40 euro per wheel for complete replacement & disposal. That was at a Porsche dealer so you should come in under that. Although, with RFTs expect to pay a little more.

Last I checked AAFES will not touch RFTs either....[chickens!]

Are you mounting them on the original wheels?

Last edited by smellthebeans; 11-13-2012 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post

Last I checked AAFES will not touch RFTs either....[chickens!]
I wouldn't trust them with anything on my car.....
      11-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Also... my tire shop will wave the 5 euro per old tire recycling fee. They ask me IF I want the old tires back and IF I agree to take them to the recycling center on base, they don't charge me that 5 euro(per old tire) fee.

The funny thing is... the tech always "forgets" to give me my old tires back... So I haven't complained! Saves me 20 euros plus I don't have to lug around the old tires!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
At my dealer they always ask me to sit down before showing me the the bill

For the record, I only have my tires mounted and balanced at a dealer. I am willing to pay a little extra for the ability to comeback when or if the wheel weights move. They keep you happy if at some point they want to sell you a new car on down the road. Although, it's not really applicable here.

Also, prior to bringing in wheels for the change I remove and clean off all of the old adhesive with a mild solvent.

Last edited by smellthebeans; 11-14-2012 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

Also, prior to bringing in wheels for the change I remove and clean off all of the old adhesive with a mild solvent.

My tire shop (Reifen Wagner) has this dishwasher box/machine that a complete tire wheel goes inside of. They charge 8 euros per wheel and DAMM it did a great job cleaning BOTH sides of the alloys. My old e39 5er had THE worst brake pad dust buildup(from the last owner). The alloys looked all burnt and nasty from old pad dust left to sit and corrode the wheels. I opted for their "dishwasher" machine. AND Damm if it did not make the wheels look brand new! I could not believe it was my old alloys!

Also... most tire shops and dealers over here will store your winter/summer tires for you. They is a small fee per year. I keep my old wheels/tires... but I thought I would mention this.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 03:22 AM   #8
Chamix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Over here in Bamberg - I use Reifen Wagner for my tire work/purchases. I know my place charges 60 euros IF you want four tires mounted and balanced on four alloy wheels WITH tires already on them. When I have bought new tires from them, they charge six euros to balance each wheel/tire. Mounting is free. They also will check my alignment for free! And they charge 59 euros for a four wheel alignment (w/o tax/Vat).

You could also use your base's MWR craft shop to do the job. But I would not advise you too.

You can use Google an run a search for "Reifen Stuttgart" or your local city. You should find plenty of "hits".

I would also send 1thomas a PM. He lives in Stuttgart and is German. I am sure he knows a few good places to use.

I've used places like ATU (www.ATU.de) for winter tire purchases too. They are decent. But the shops that only sell tires like my tire store(Reifen Wagner) seem a lot better equipped to repair flats or mount and balance high performance tires.

Here is a List of all the ATU shops in the Stuttgart area...
http://www.atu.de/pages/service/fili....html?gebiet=7

There are also lower end shops like PitStop or EuroMaster that also sell tires. I am not a fan of those places.
Thanks! That's right, I forgot about ATU, I'm actually going to pick up an oil filter for my Peugeot and might as well get a quote.

About the MWR craftshop, OMG do I have a terrible story:

Basically last winter I went to Panzer's MWR shop, at that time I thought it was a regular mechanics/tire shop. So I decided to have "them" do the tire swap. I go there one day sign in and they hand me keys for a car lift. I was thinking... shouldn't I be handing you my keys? So I find out this is self service but they say there's a guy helping people with tires. I'm thinking how bad could it be? I've done up to a belt driven water pump to electric pump conversion in my muscle car days...
After taking off all rims, I get help from this guy going around the bays. I told him that I have factory run flats and putting on winter RFs. He hadn't worked on those before and apparently they are harder to mount. He was also under the impression that RFs use a TUBE inside the tire so my winter tires couldn't be RFs. (That should've been a go straight to a tire shop RED FLAG!!). While trying to mount the tires he was hesitant they might rip from overstretching them with the machine, and was asking me for my opinion, "do you think it will make it? should I keep pressing them?" Damn! I have no clue! (It looks bad!) Hours later we got them all on but then after pumping air they wouldn't pop on to the rim completely. Somebody else came in and suggested to just pump a lot more air... more scary moments.
...while I was grateful for their help, I'm never doing this again!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:30 AM   #9
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
And to add to the Panzer MWR shop story.........

I went there after hearing some stories myself. Now, i've been around a bit in Europe (H-berg, K-town, Vilseck-Graf) and normally the price to rent a bay (Lift/no-lift) is between $6/$4-5 respectively. When I asked how much was it to use a lift here in Panzer, the guy there told me $9-an hour?!?!?!?!?!?!?! WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?! I had to take a moment and a deep breath after that and decided.........let me go home.

It made me wonder if they have different pricing at the other locations which I haven't seen since being here in Germany.
      11-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
I like the craft shop. They have a cool laid back "island" style. However, I have never asked for assistance.

8.00 per hour- still cheaper than 50-100 euro per hour in labor.

http://www.stuttgartmwr.com/auto-skills/car-panzer/

-- from now on I wil l just ask Elsa for help.... H&R sport springs, Bilstein shocks, and sway bars are comming

Oh! BTY my wife wants a euro change holder... any suggestions?
      11-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
Chamix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans
I like the craft shop. They have a cool laid back "island" style. However, I have never asked for assistance.

8.00 per hour- still cheaper than 50-100 euro per hour in labor.

http://www.stuttgartmwr.com/auto-skills/car-panzer/

-- from now on I wil l just ask Elsa for help.... H&R sport springs, Bilstein shocks, and sway bars are comming

Thats a nice Christmas list you are waiting on. Sounds like fun, if you are going to do the work let me know, I might learn a thing or two that might apply on my 3!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Chamix
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm gonna get the tires swapped at ATU tomorrow. They quoted me about e105 with the VAT form.

I did check at the BMW dealer by Patch and it's 140 minus VAT but I would have two make an appointment two weeks out.

On a separate note, I went upstairs, on the second floor above the service department where they have the BMW M cars on display... Oh my! Two gouregeous convertible M6s (just e151,000), M5, and a matte black M3, oh and a X5 M, no love for the 1Ms, or they were sold out! A lot eye candy. I've remember seeing a Alpina section a while back as well.
We should all take a tour there lol!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

coin holder...

Quote:

Bob, I saw one at ATU while I was there waiting on them installing four Michelin Alpin A4 tires for my e39. The change holder was just a box with a spots for all eight types of euro coins.

The one I saw at ATU looked like this one... but in black.

Name:  EURO BÖRSE, EURO-MÜNZEN HÄLTERTrieur-pieces-Euro-portemonnaie (1).jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  51.6 KB

I think BMW also makes a cigarette ashtray that pops into your cup holder. I've seen some people use that for coins. But they will rattle around inside of the cup thing-y.

Name:  Becher2203892706-w988.jpg
Views: 3355
Size:  140.0 KB

Name:  Becher2203892720-w988.jpg
Views: 2222
Size:  53.4 KB

Here is a US coin holder made by bmw. Its a little pricey though!

http://www.google.de/imgres?start=27...85,s:200,i:259
Appreciate 0