BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-01-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
ExREX
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i & x3 30d

Transit Lane

Hi does anyone know the rules for transit lanes? Specifically the Gore Hill freeway is T2 and I drive in it with myself and my one year old son in the back. From the outside it looks like I am by myself but there are two of us in the car. Does the law see it that way?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 04:41 AM   #2
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExREX View Post
Hi does anyone know the rules for transit lanes? Specifically the Gore Hill freeway is T2 and I drive in it with myself and my one year old son in the back. From the outside it looks like I am by myself but there are two of us in the car. Does the law see it that way?
If you get pulled over it's quite obvious you have another passenger in the car. You're fine.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Two people = two people

So having your son in the car counts as the other passenger.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
but if you're a pregnant woman by yourself, it doesn't count as two people. (it's been tried)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #5
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

How about if you're a two headed Tasmanian (not you of course d3syd). Is that one or two people?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
ExREX
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
If you get pulled over it's quite obvious you have another passenger in the car. You're fine.
can you imagine how stupid they would feel and try and take it out on me by defecting in some other way.

i was just curious since there was a radar trap on the gore hill this afternoon. first one i have seen. funnily i had the whole family (four) in the car at the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
mra
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

RTA uses the term occupant. Your son would classify as an occupant. Not sure how you would go about proving yourself if it was a camera that flagged you as being on your own.. hope for a good camera angle?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
oldman
Australia
Rep
Drives: 09 135i AW Coupe

This thread reminds me of a story many many years ago. I had a friend who was a cop doing transit lane duty on the Spit Bridge in Sydney. In those days, the left lane was a T3, so you had to have 3 people in the car to be legal.

He and his other cop mate saw a black hearse approaching in the transit lane with two guys in the front and a coffin in the back. Much to their surprise, the guy in the passenger side wound down the window and bellowed out "Two hot and one cold mate."

They were apparently not amused and booked them. It went to court and the judge ruled that all three persons in the vehicle had to be alive, so the fine stood.
      09-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
This thread reminds me of a story many many years ago. I had a friend who was a cop doing transit lane duty on the Spit Bridge in Sydney. In those days, the left lane was a T3, so you had to have 3 people in the car to be legal.

He and his other cop mate saw a black hearse approaching in the transit lane with two guys in the front and a coffin in the back. Much to their surprise, the guy in the passenger side wound down the window and bellowed out "Two hot and one cold mate."

They were apparently not amused and booked them. It went to court and the judge ruled that all three persons in the vehicle had to be alive, so the fine stood.
Hahahaha! Classic!

Just serves to show that being cheeky to the pigs isn't going to get you anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mra View Post
RTA uses the term occupant. Your son would classify as an occupant. Not sure how you would go about proving yourself if it was a camera that flagged you as being on your own.. hope for a good camera angle?
I wonder if the term occupant would include a dog with a harness hooked up to a seat belt?

Would make my transit time to work much quicker if it did.
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
Scoobs
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i Space Grey DCT

Quote:
can you imagine how stupid they would feel and try and take it out on me by defecting in some other way.

i was just curious since there was a radar trap on the gore hill this afternoon. first one i have seen. funnily i had the whole family (four) in the car at the time.
Ex Rex,

Where abouts was the radar trap ?

I commute on the gore hill every day - but against the flow of traffic - so am often "slightly" above the speed limit. Not that I condone such things

I have never seen a radar trap - so would be grateful to learn where they set up and what direction they are clocking people.

Re the transit lane - I see that heavily policed in the mornings city bound - but never in the evenings. I use it all the time. making that a transit lane for the short length that it is - is one of the most pathetically stupid things I have ever seen.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #12
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d

Maybe we should have transit lanes in Perth because nearly every car gridlocked on the freeways in the mornings and evenings has only one occupant.

Then again - our public transport is so sh*thouse.

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 02:37 AM   #13
takahashi
Retired trackie
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mra View Post
Can challenge in court as the photo does not clearly prove the number of passenger.

if you ever have an small Asian girlfriend they are so engulfed in the car seat that it look like a blow up doll in the front and there is no hope seeing their head from the back window.

what happen when one small Asian girl driving her twin sister. OMG T0!!!!!
      09-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
jkho
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black MY09 E82 125i Coupe

lol
u guys crack me up!

Quality reading

My 2cents -->
OP, u're fine mate
Regarding pets and preggers women (counting as TWO) as "occupants", give it a go and let us know how to go HEHE

PS> What if she had triplets and the like ? :P
      09-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
ExREX
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Ex Rex,

Where abouts was the radar trap ?

I commute on the gore hill every day - but against the flow of traffic - so am often "slightly" above the speed limit. Not that I condone such things

I have never seen a radar trap - so would be grateful to learn where they set up and what direction they are clocking people.

Re the transit lane - I see that heavily policed in the mornings city bound - but never in the evenings. I use it all the time. making that a transit lane for the short length that it is - is one of the most pathetically stupid things I have ever seen.
Yes first time i have seen it. I was goingto Chatswood and the trap was in the breakdown bay heading west (away from town) just after the folk to the lane cove tunnel.

While i don't disagree with the concept of the transit lane, it's stupid to make it 24/7 so on the weekend or late at night the traffic flow is just shot.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #16
The Voice of Reason
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Undecided on my next one...

Quote:

While i don't disagree with the concept of the transit lane, it's stupid to make it 24/7 so on the weekend or late at night the traffic flow is just shot.
Thank our (soon to be ex) state government for that piece of brilliant forward thinking -NOT!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #17
sleighbmw
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 120i 2007

Here in Queensland at least, Transit lane violations are "moving" violations so require a police officer to issue an infringement notice, unlike parking where they can use anyone with more than 2 braincells to write out tickets.
This is a colossal waste of police resources and just reinforces the fact that collecting revenue is more important to them than enforcing the law.
If they were genuinely interested in improving traffic flow the law would read something like "Transit lanes may only be used by designated vehicles unless use would not impede the progress of said vehicles". But that would be hard(er) to enforce, so we are stuck with the stupidity of a third of our roads empty while the other two thirds are congested.

Rant over !!

Anyway, good to be here (my first post)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 09:40 PM   #18
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Hi Simon. Welcome to 1addicts and 1 series ownership!

As Ian did not too long ago I think you need to introduce yourself and your collection of BMWs in a new post. As an introduction, I've spent much time chasing Simon around racetracks in S'th East Qld. While Simon was much gentler on his car than me, he still managed to maintain similar times in his E30 318iS as I was in a modded E30 325i! Now he's converted to RHD & track prepped an E30 M3 - which has just gone back to RX Automotive for further engine mods. I couldn't get near it with my 135i before this

Oops. Back on topic now