BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-13-2015, 11:34 PM   #1
Jiffy Pop
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

2 way speakers vs components

I'm telling you guys, I've seached...

I have a Canadian 2009 135i that has the tweeters front and back. I need to do something about those speakers, way too lame. So anyway, choices for speakers in or around Montreal, Quebec is incredibly limited. 4 inches are wether way too expensive or just unnavailable. But, I can easily put my hants on 2 way speaker to replace the speaker and the tweeter. Would I have a problem if I use the midrange wiring and just disconnect the existing tweeters? Any suggestions?

For the time being, I will use the stock amp. I have an Alpine 4-way amp from a previous install, but I think i need two more channels?

Any more thoughts? Thx!

Oh, yeah... I'm old fashion, and I'm not really interested in buying online, it's always a mess when it gets in the country...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 12:18 AM   #2
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Firstly, You need to check how far down the speaker cable the high-pass filter is installed for the existing tweeters. If the tweeters are just daisy chained off the drivers with a cap in line then it's not an issue but if they have separate wiring then the driver is probably not receiving full range audio so installing a 2-way speaker on that audio line would be less than ideal.

Secondly, if you do go down that road then you will have to seal the holes in the rear parcel shelf where the tweeters were to maintain some kind of back pressure on the new speakers.

Thirdly, getting rid of the front tweeters will seriously wreck your front sound stage.

Can I ask what your budget is? And what spec your current audio is? If you have tweeters in the rear then it's probably HK or Hi-Fi? (I'm not sure if the "Hi-Fi" has rear tweeters - but I think it does...)
      01-14-2015, 01:28 AM   #3
Jiffy Pop
Registered
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Well, I'll have to investigate a little more on the wiring thing. I have no idea at this point if there is anything between the midrange and the tweeter. I'll check it out when it's a bit warmer (it's minus 25 tonight...)

The system in my car is the Hi-Fi, which I guess was the basic system offered out here. We usually get just a few optional packages... For example, for the m235i you can get the base and if you want the H-k, you HAVE to get two packages for 7000$. Can't get them seperately anyway... So, I don't have H-K...

Budget wise, I only want to replace the midranges for the time being for about 300$... That doesn't get you far out here. But as I said, if your not going online, there is almost nothing that isn't 2 way in the 4" isle... Also, i like stealth... And even in two way speaker... Options are limited... Maybe for the front I could cut the wires for the in-speaker tweeter and get tweeters up in the corner... Replacing only the front speakers at this point...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 12:51 AM   #4
halfhalo
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E88 135i

Garage List
2017 BMW F83  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
At least in my E88, my Hifi Tweeters were plugged into the 4" mids, which in turn is connected to the cars wiring.

One thing to keep in mind is that there is really not a lot of mounting depth in the e82/88/92/93's. IIRC anything more than 44 mm will hit the window bottom-mounted.